• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

N/A has a point, getting a deal on stuff you collect is part of the fun. Plus putting the effort into finding what you collect at a fair price makes you appreciate whatever it is when you eventually obtain it.

He ignores everything that doesn't agree with him. No worries. Thanks for the backup. (thumbs u

Kool-aid addictions are not easily broken

N/A has a point, getting a deal on stuff you collect is part of the fun. Plus putting the effort into finding what you collect at a fair price makes you appreciate whatever it is when you eventually obtain it.

He ignores everything that doesn't agree with him. No worries. Thanks for the backup. (thumbs u

Please take your off topic conversations to a PM.

Thanks. (thumbs u

-J.

No. But I do disagree with most if not all of what you say. Frankly I find the vast majority of your posts to be vapid and entirely devoid of substance. I find you needlessly snarky and sarcastic, neither funny nor engaging and this is why I have never directly engaged you.

I would appreciate it if you would afford me the same courtesy going forward.

Good day.

-J.

Ignoring the substance in a post tends to leave it devoid of substance. (thumbs u

You do it constantly so you are well aware.

Thanks. (thumbs u

-J.

It's a metaphor, and its definitely on-topic

Thanks. (thumbs u

-J.

It's a metaphor, and its definitely on-topic

No, it's an ad hominem personal swipe. If that's the kind of thing you and your friend like to engage in , kindly remember the title of this thread and take it to a PM.

Thanks again.

-J.

Ok, here's an on topic post by your logic:

The Winter Soldier Del'Otto from your first post...

I own this book. I own it because I pulled that series from my LCS, ordered it before it came out. Collected all of the variants (as my LCS doesnt get them) from ebay.

I did the same thing with several other series I liked at the same time.

That Del'Otto was not at all hard to get as you say in your OP. I know, because I shopped around to get a nice copy, at a fair price. We are talking about paying $19.99 rather than $39.99 type of shopping around.

I remember considering buying a slabbed one later on, because I liked it, and it would save me having to get it CGC'd (live in Canada, shipping costs for small submissions are terrible).

In the end someone else bought it before I got around to it, there were still Raw ones available at that time.

That book was NOT hard to find, the prices were NOT high, it is NO MORE rare than any of the other identically ratio'd 1:X books from other series I collected in an identical way, at the exact same time.

Fast Forward to right now.

This thread, and "the usual suspects" from the board drove the prices on that book way up, wiped it off Ebay, and have made it NOW, a "very hard to find" book. However, other EQUALLY rare books, that I collected at the same time, some of which were actually much harder to find then, remain available in small numbers, and sub 3 figures.

IF, the "usual suspects" on here were able to come with a reason that those other equally rare variants were suddenly desirable, they too would sell out on Ebay, become virtually unattainable, and sky rocket in price.

The value of that Winter Soldier variant is not because of the artist who drew the cover, or because it is "soooooooooo hard to find", it's because of this THREAD, and "the usual suspects".

All of the modern 1:X variant books are hard to find and low in number. The only difference is, without hype, all the people who own them, have them on ebay for sale. IF YOU CREATE THE HYPE, they will instantly become identical to the Campbel or Del'Otto variants, and unattainable.

Anyone who thinks the value is because of the artist, is "drinking the kool-aid". Anyone who thinks these books just dont exist, "is drinking the kool-aid".

I love my Del'Otto WS book, I think the art is excellent, I think it is grossly overvalued, it's rarity is vastly overstated, and I find the pumping on the boards of people's personal preferences to be very deplorable.

2c

And you dont own this thread, and differing opinions are allowed and valid.

2642220-5908524020-giphy.gif

Edited by CBT

Again , when you voluntarily, knowingly, and repeatedly go into an artist's (or book's) "appreciation thread" and then whine about people talking about his books, they're availability at any given time, what they selling for , etc., you demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding of not only that thread , but perhaps these boards in general.

Contrary to your evidently cynical view of everything, some of us are indeed just collectors, don't have anything to sell, and are simply enthusiastic owners and participants in the hobby. Not all of us are dealers (even if most of us seem to be), and at the end of the day, nobody is forcing your reading or participation in any of these threads.

-J.

Again , when you voluntarily, knowingly, and repeatedly go into an artist's (or book's) "appreciation thread" and then whine about people talking about his books, they're availability at any given time, what they sell for , etc., you demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding of not only that thread , but perhaps these boards in general.

Contrary to your evidently cynical view of everything, some of us are indeed just collectors, don't have anything to sell, and are simply enthusiastic owners and participants in the hobby. Not all of us are dealers (even if most of us seem to be), and at the end of the day, nobody is forcing your reading or participation in any of these threads.

-J.

I am enthusiastic about the book, it's hideously overpriced without just cause, due to the CGC boards.

I'd like to own more, but I can't because of a false narrative.

The Dell'Otto is 1:50

The Sketch is 1:100

Sketch was and remains MUCH harder to get, I know cause I bought them at the time, collecting the series as it came out.

The Sketch is on ebay right now for $50... That book is MUCH rarer, and harder to find, but doesnt have hype, so its properly priced.

There are VF/NM Dell'Otto's on ebay for $250+

As Jeff said, respond to the substance. Is the Winter Soldier Dell'Otto over priced. Are people being unable to enjoy and own the book due to hype, distortions, and a false narrative?

I OWN one, bought when it was new, in 9.8+. As an owner of the book, I think its price is very distorted.

Again , when you voluntarily, knowingly, and repeatedly go into an artist's (or book's) "appreciation thread" and then whine about people talking about his books, they're availability at any given time, what they sell for , etc., you demonstrate a fundamental lack of understanding of not only that thread , but perhaps these boards in general.

-J.

You frequently bumping the various artist appreciation threads in the modern section has very little to do with just being an enthusiastic owner. When someone, this someone being you, feels the need to post every time one of these "rare" books is listed for sale while constantly talking about the value and denouncing opinions and facts that don't align with your narratives, its painfully obvious its not just about appreciation for the artist. Get real.

Since you seem to butt heads with everyone in every thread across every subforum perhaps it is you who should look inside and ask yourself if you possess an understanding of this forum. Cue the condescending smiley usage.

-D.

-J.

I am enthusiastic about the book, it's hideously overpriced without just cause, due to the CGC boards.

I'd like to own more, but I can't because of a false narrative.

The Dell'Otto is 1:50

The Sketch is 1:100

Sketch was and remains MUCH harder to get, I know cause I bought them at the time, collecting the series as it came out.

The Sketch is on ebay right now for $50... That book is MUCH rarer, and harder to find, but doesnt have hype, so its properly priced.

There are VF/NM Dell'Otto's on ebay for $250+

As Jeff said, respond to the substance. Is the Winter Soldier Dell'Otto over priced. Are people being unable to enjoy and own the book due to hype, distortions, and a false narrative?

I OWN one, bought when it was new, in 9.8+. As an owner of the book, I think its price is very distorted.

I don't know what "hype" you're talking about. Maybe people are willing to pay more for the Dell'otto simply because the art is better. Unfortunately, there are no comic book pricing police to complain to when a book sells for more than what you think it should, and doing so in an artist's appreciation thread shows a fundamental lack of decorum IMO.

-J.

I don't know what "hype" you're talking about. Maybe people are willing to pay more for the Dell'otto simply because the art is better. Unfortunately, there are no comic book pricing police to complain to when a book sells for more than what you think it should, and doing so in an artist's appreciation thread shows a fundamental lack of decorum IMO.

-J.

So, no to addressing the substance of what I said then?

-J.

You frequently bumping the various artist appreciation threads in the modern section has very little to do with just being an enthusiastic owner. When someone, this someone being you, feels the need to post every time one of these "rare" books is listed for sale while constantly talking about the value and denouncing opinions and facts that don't align with your narratives, its painfully obvious its not just about appreciation for the artist. Get real.

Since you seem to butt heads with everyone in every thread across every subforum perhaps it is you who should look inside and ask yourself if you possess an understanding of this forum. Cue the condescending smiley usage.

-D.

Thanks for the input RMA but it's pretty much always the same small determined cast of characters that I "butt heads" with. See this thread for a recap:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8842115#Post8842115

You don't know me or my motivations, and no one is forcing you to enter and read any of these threads either, so again , please keep your personal swipes to yourself.

-J.

-J.

-D.

Thanks for the input RMA but it's pretty much always the same small determined cast of characters that I "butt heads" with. You don't know me or my motivations, and no one is forcing you to enter and read any of these threads either, so again , please keep your personal swipes to yourself.

-J.

And here, I thought it was the same small determined cast ("the usual suspects"), trying to pump up books they own....

...and yet no one is forcing you to read or participate in any of the threads. (thumbs u

-J.

...and yet no one is forcing you to read or participate in any of the threads. (thumbs u

-J.

right...

I am participating because I want to. More than one perspective and opinion is allowed.

Dell'Otto's books are grossly overpriced. That's not knocking him, or his art, or not "appreciating" it.

I don't like when books I own and want to buy more of, get speculator bumps that over price them.

It gets in the way of collecting.

Edited by CBT

-J.

-D.

Thanks for the input RMA but it's pretty much always the same small determined cast of characters that I "butt heads" with. You don't know me or my motivations, and no one is forcing you to enter and read any of these threads either, so again , please keep your personal swipes to yourself.

-J.

I believe RMA is currently banned. If I was RMA I would be banned for having a shill account.

Your motivations are easily deduced though. You have a significant monetary investment in a bunch of modern incentive variants. It is in your best interest to continue to promote these books to help ensure they remain desirable. This is why most of your posts in these "artist appreciation" threads have very little to do with the artist or his work and instead very much to do with the value of the artist's work. You can't help but post a link whenever one of these books comes up for sale nor can you sit quietly when someone questions their actual rarity.

-J.

right...

I am participating because I want to. More than one perspective and opinion is allowed.

Dell'Otto's books are grossly overpriced. That's not knocking him, or his art, or not "appreciating" it.

I don't like when books I own and want to buy more of, get speculator bumps that over price them.

It gets in the way of collecting.

I don't think anybody likes it when a book (or any market based/supply and demand driven item) they wanted goes up in value and gets past the point of what they're willing to pay or can afford, regardless of Age. If you think Dell'otto costs too much don't buy him (even though there are really only two books that sell in the four figures on a regular basis). Lots of great artists out there. I personally don't mind paying a premium for what I feel is a premium product though. Even more so if it's numbers are scant and I really, really want it. Such is the mind of the OCD collector. (thumbs u

-J.

I believe RMA is currently banned. If I was RMA I would be banned for having a shill account.

Your motivations are easily deduced though. You have a significant monetary investment in a bunch of modern incentive variants. It is in your best interest to continue to promote these books to help ensure they remain desirable. This is why most of your posts in these "artist appreciation" threads have very little to do with the artist or his work and instead very much to do with the value of the artist's work. You can't help but post a link whenever one of these books comes up for sale nor can you sit quietly when someone questions their actual rarity.

I think its a trend in the hobby. Some people after seeing the Campbell bubble start to expand, bought up a lot of Dell'Otto variants, and then helped to foment a Dell'Otto bubble to mirror the Campbell one.

The Venom variant garbage again is an identical board creation.

I collect Journey Into Mystery, as well from pull list, and absolutely head over heals LOVE young Loki story. Up there with Brubaker Captain America, and Old Man Logan, Planet Hulk, as a modern day classic.

I have multiples of the variants from the run(and want more), there are many 1:50, all about evenly priced. Some a bit more than others, based on the quality of the cover. Then one day the board spec. pumpers decide that Venom Variants are a thing to hype....

Exactly like the Winter Soldier Dell'Otto variant, a small group of people after buying copies, caused a mania on Venom Variants via the boards, and suddenly its "sooooooooooooo hard to find" and absurdly expensive.

Yet it remains no rarer, then the many other 1:50 variants from the same series, same print runs, some smaller, that are available, because they havent been board hyped.

Edited by CBT

-J.

-D.

-J.

lol Now this is just utterly insipid, and I know that is you RMA, the administrators of this site have no way of stopping someone from creating or detecting a duplicate account. Someone would have to be completely naive to not spot the near identical posting style , tone, comments and opinion set that this character has (as well as one or two others that you've created) to your primary account name.

Again, you don't know me, my motivations, or what I paid for any of my books. But let me assure you that I can afford to buy and hold my book and never sell, not even to purchase other books, so if the price of every book in my collection (including my beloved Cap 1 or AF 15) dropped to "0" I would still relish owning them just as much. (thumbs u

-J.