• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

I enjoy his work.

I think some of the prices I've seen for some of these books is astronomical. I'd consider purchasing the cover OA for some of the costs I've seen actual issues of the book go for.

It's an odd phenomenon to some of us here, and it's certainly worth commenting on.

People say this about OA quite often around here. It's apples and oranges. Some people don't care about or collect OA. OA isn't a comic book. Collectors paying X-amount for any comic book (or OA for that matter) "could" spend the money on something else. Someone "could" buy a spectacular house with the money it would take to buy a nice Action 1. Or they "could" buy the most expensive piece of OA on the market and still have 3 million dollars left over for a beachfront property in Malibu.

The entire point is academic. Buy what you want and love and enjoy what you buy.

Others will be doing the same. (thumbs u

-J.

My comment isn't meant to be a 'you could buy something else' sort of statement. That's a silly argument considering anything to do with this hobby is an extravagant expenditure of funds for something that is useless on a practical level.

And I am aware OA isn't a comic... but at the same time it is certainly the essence of them. And I remain unconvinced with the 'apples / oranges' argument against (slabbed) books and OA. There seem to be more similarities than differences.

I enjoy his work.

I think some of the prices I've seen for some of these books is astronomical. I'd consider purchasing the cover OA for some of the costs I've seen actual issues of the book go for.

It's an odd phenomenon to some of us here, and it's certainly worth commenting on.

People say this about OA quite often around here. It's apples and oranges. Some people don't care about or collect OA. OA isn't a comic book. Collectors paying X-amount for any comic book (or OA for that matter) "could" spend the money on something else. Someone "could" buy a spectacular house with the money it would take to buy a nice Action 1. Or they "could" buy the most expensive piece of OA on the market and still have 3 million dollars left over for a beachfront property in Malibu.

The entire point is academic. Buy what you want and love and enjoy what you buy.

Others will be doing the same. (thumbs u

-J.

My comment isn't meant to be a 'you could buy something else' sort of statement. That's a silly argument considering anything to do with this hobby is an extravagant expenditure of funds for something that is useless on a practical level.

And I am aware OA isn't a comic... but at the same time it is certainly the essence of them. And I remain unconvinced with the 'apples / oranges' argument against (slabbed) books and OA. There seem to be more similarities than differences.

That's true and it isn't.

I just know many, many comic collectors have no interest in owning random OA. And if there's a particular comic that a collector wants or needs to fill a hole in a run or whatever, buying an unrelated piece of OA instead isn't going to scratch that itch. Understanding that is as simple as understanding the collector's mentality.

But by the same token , if the original paintings of the ASM 667 Or X 23 1 ever came to market , I have no doubt that they would each sell for multiples of the comics. But looking at an awesome painting on the wall still isn't the same experience as owning a full and complete comic book, that while not as rare as a 1:1 painting, is still extremely rare and pretty awesome in its own right.

-J.

I was speaking for myself when I stated:

"I'd consider purchasing the cover OA for some of the costs I've seen actual issues of the book go for."

I didn't realize there would be so much confusion around that, sorry if I was unclear.

Everything else I said was an attempt at a comparison towards the (in my opinion) similarities between the costs of some of his individual issues and some of the nicer modern OA covers available out there.

Following that, I did compare OA collecting and slabbed book collecting - no one has said anything to change my opinion from 'they have more similarities' than otherwise.

"I'd consider purchasing the cover OA for some of the costs I've seen actual issues of the book go for."

I didn't realize there would be so much confusion around that, sorry if I was unclear.

Everything else I said was an attempt at a comparison towards the (in my opinion) similarities between the costs of some of his individual issues and some of the nicer modern OA covers available out there.

Following that, I did compare OA collecting and slabbed book collecting - no one has said anything to change my opinion from 'they have more similarities' than otherwise.

Yes, and if a collector has no interest in OA and only collects comic books, this is a moot point. I personally don't care about OA either, and even if you showed me coolest piece in the world, I would give props and then probably keep my thoughts of what awesome or rare comic I "could" have bought with that money instead to myself.

Buy what you like and to each his own. (thumbs u

-J.

Yes, and if a collector has no interest in OA and only collects comic books, this is a moot point. I personally don't care about OA either, and even if you showed me coolest piece in the world, I would give props and probably keep my thoughts of what awesome or rare comic I "could" have bought with that money instead to myself.

-J.

Are you saying you don't see the similarities in the comparison? You realize comparisons can be made without you having to be an aficionado of one side or the other, right?

Just to be as concrete as humanly possible here... I don't want you or anyone else to buy OA or have an interest in OA or ... really anything. I just want you to understand I'm making (what I believed to be) a simple comparison.

Yes, and if a collector has no interest in OA and only collects comic books, this is a moot point. I personally don't care about OA either, and even if you showed me coolest piece in the world, I would give props and probably keep my thoughts of what awesome or rare comic I "could" have bought with that money instead to myself.

-J.

Are you saying you don't see the similarities in the comparison? You realize comparisons can be made without you having to be an aficionado of one side or the other, right?

Just to be as concrete as humanly possible here... I don't want you or anyone else to buy OA or have an interest in OA or ... really anything. I just want you to understand I'm making (what I believed to be) a simple comparison.

No I don't think OA collecting (of what I am assuming you're referring to is a published work and not just some sketch that was done on a blank at a con) is comparable to comic book collecting. Even if you are looking at a singe piece of OA that's from the same comic book.

Are they related? Yes of course.

But owning one isn't "the same" as owning or collecting the other. It's a totally different collecting focus.

-J.

-J.

No I don't think OA collecting (of what I am assuming you're referring to is a published work and not just some sketch that was done on a blank at a con) is comparable to comic book collecting. Even if you are looking at a singe piece of OA that's from the same comic book.

But owning one isn't "the same" as owning or collecting the other. It's a totally different collecting focus.

-J.

I think the point they are making is that with these incentive variants and the prices some of them are commanding a buyer could get original artwork from the artist instead.

Artwork that would be one of one instead of one out of however many copies of the desired variant were printed. The comparison is valid since while the variant covers are comic books they aren't treated as such by collectors.

Nobody is buying these pricey variants to read or because of the interior pages. Very few of them have any notable content that contributes to their demand (a 1st appearance for example) and these aren't books one would buy to fill holes in a run since they are variants and the cover price regular covers fill that void.

So at the end of the day you have a book encased in plastic that you bought because of the cover art that was done by a specific artist and produced in a limited quantity. Not a huge difference between that and OA that has been framed.

-J.

No worries. The vast majority understand what you are saying. You will not convince the dog of anything beyond his own perception of the world. I wish you luck.

-J.

-J.

I think the point they are making is that with these incentive variants and the prices some of them are commanding a buyer could get original artwork from the artist instead.

Artwork that would be one of one instead of one out of however many copies of the desired variant were printed. The comparison is valid since while the variant covers are comic books they aren't treated as such by collectors.

Nobody is buying these pricey variants to read or because of the interior pages. Very few of them have any notable content that contributes to their demand (a 1st appearance for example) and these aren't books one would buy to fill holes in a run since they are variants and the cover price regular covers fill that void.

So at the end of the day you have a book encased in plastic that you bought because of the cover art that was done by a specific artist and produced in a limited quantity. Not a huge difference between that and OA that has been framed.

Yes I understand what he is saying.

And again, it is still a moot point.

A person could say "you could have bought a piece of OA for that price " just about any book at any price point , as there is also plenty of drekky OA out there that can be had for less than a hundred dollars.

Telling somebody what they "could" have bought for the same money is presumptuous and has the slight stink of "what I collect (or like) rocks, and what you collect (or like) sucks".

If you like OA, and think it's "the same" as a comic book, that's great. Go buy OA and cover your walls with it. These boards, however, are 99% about slabs and for slab collectors, so you aren't preaching to the choir when you attempt to compare a 1:1 single piece of OA to a comic book (that it is slabbed is irrelevant, slabs can be broken, and the vast majority of comics are not in slabs).

But let's just say for the sake of argument, that a comic book is "the same" as a piece of OA.

So there is one person in the world who owns the OA for the cover of Ms. Marvel #2 (Molina).

Good for that guy.

Now what about everybody else who would like to own that "piece of art"?

By the extension of your logic, a framed colour copy should suffice for them.

Except....

A framed colour copy isn't the original of anything.

And guess what...

Regardless of whether or not a copy of a Ms. Marvel #2 comic book is an "original piece of art", it is still an original comic book, thus making it unique (ie different, ie not "the same") from a single piece of OA (that cannot be owned by any more than one person). Like I said before, understanding why a Kamala fan or collector would want one of those pretty rare books in their collection, for whatever reason they want it, is as simple as understanding the collector's mentality.

:gossip: PS, If you wish to continue this conversation, I would suggest starting another thread in the appropriate sub-forum. (thumbs u

-J.

The countless paragraphs you've written indicate otherwise.

No, its not. As it brings into question the value of these books.

A person could say "you could have bought a piece of OA for that price " just about any book at any price point , as there is also plenty of drekky OA out there that can be had for less than a hundred dollars.

Except the comparison is made in this case with these incentive variants because people pay high prices for them for the same reasons they pay for OA.

1) They like the artwork

2) They like the artist, who usually has a substantial following

3) Limited production numbers

These books aren't being collected to fill runs or because something noteworthy happens on the interior pages. Due to the reasons above they more closely resemble OA then they do most comic books. Thats why this isn't just another case of "you could have bought this thing instead, even though it has nothing to do with what you actually bought"

Telling somebody what they "could" have bought for the same money is presumptuous and has the slight stink of "what I collect (or like) rocks, and what you collect (or like) sucks".

That would depend on how it is said and the context in which it is said.

If you like OA, and think it's "the same" as a comic book, that's great. Go buy OA and cover your walls with it. These boards, however, are 99% about slabs and for slab collectors, so you aren't preaching to the choir when you attempt to compare a 1:1 single piece of OA to a comic book (that it is slabbed is irrelevant, slabs can be broken, and the vast majority of comics are not in slabs).

That the book is slabbed is not irrelevant. These incentive variants aren't being bought and consumed like typical comics that are read. Your slabbed incentive variant is very much the same as a framed original or print. Its artwork, produced in limited numbers, behind a barrier.

You use quotes around "the same" repeatedly. I never said they were "the same". They are similar because they are collected for many of the same reasons.

But let's just say for the sake of argument, that a comic book is "the same" as a piece of OA.

Not saying its the same. In this case its comparable. So, don't bother.

So there is one person in the world who owns the OA for the cover of Ms. Marvel #2 (Molina).

Good for that guy.

No, because the limited production numbers are one of the draws.

An alternative to buying the incentive variant or the OA of said variant would be to buy another piece of published OA from the artist, a print of the incentive variant artwork, or a commission.

Regardless of whether or not a copy of a Ms. Marvel #2 comic book is an "original piece of art", it is still an original comic book, thus making it unique (ie different, ie not "the same") from a single piece of OA (that cannot be owned by any more than one person). Like I said before, understanding why a Kamala fan or collector would want one of those pretty rare books in their collection, for whatever reason they want it, is as simple as understanding the collector's mentality.

You are doing that thing again where you put words in the mouths of others to make a point. I never said they were "the same".

:gossip: PS, If you wish to continue this conversation, I would suggest starting another thread in the appropriate sub-forum.

And I would suggest you quit talking down to people, but that seems impossible. For the reasons outlined above this discussion very much has to do with the thread in which it is currently taking place.

The countless paragraphs you've written indicate otherwise.

No, its not. As it brings into question the value of these books.

Except the comparison is made in this case with these incentive variants because people pay high prices for them for the same reasons they pay for OA.

1) They like the artwork

2) They like the artist, who usually has a substantial following

3) Limited production numbers

These books aren't being collected to fill runs or because something noteworthy happens on the interior pages. Due to the reasons above they more closely resemble OA then they do most comic books. Thats why this isn't just another case of "you could have bought this thing instead, even though it has nothing to do with what you actually bought"

That would depend on how it is said and the context in which it is said.

That the book is slabbed is not irrelevant. These incentive variants aren't being bought and consumed like typical comics that are read. Your slabbed incentive variant is very much the same as a framed original or print. Its artwork, produced in limited numbers, behind a barrier.

You use quotes around "the same" repeatedly. I never said they were "the same". They are similar because they are collected for many of the same reasons.

Not saying its the same. In this case its comparable. So, don't bother.

Good for that guy.

No, because the limited production numbers are one of the draws.

An alternative to buying the incentive variant or the OA of said variant would be to buy another piece of published OA from the artist, a print of the incentive variant artwork, or a commission.

You are doing that thing again where you put words in the mouths of others to make a point. I never said they were "the same".

:gossip: PS, If you wish to continue this conversation, I would suggest starting another thread in the appropriate sub-forum.

And I would suggest you quit talking down to people, but that seems impossible. For the reasons outlined above this discussion very much has to do with the thread in which it is currently taking place.

1) You don't know why any collector collects what they collect. Your points are all presumptuous.

2) This entire discourse has been about comparing some unspecified piece of OA to unspecified "variants".

3) If you have a piece of Dell'otto OA to discuss or showcase, please feel free by all means.

Otherwise, please take this unrelated tangential discussion to the appropriate sub-forum.

Thanks.

-J.

I spent more on an iPad game last year. To each their own. I have a few of the covers going to CGC so I was curious. I am always surprised by those who minimize the influence of these boards on prices.

First let me start by stating: Comics nor OA should be "investments".

I'm well aware of the board's presence, why else would J.S. Campbell's remarques go for $1000? I never do the "what I collect is great, what you collect is ...." nonsense. But quite honestly, IMO, people are in for a rude surprise if/when they ever go to sell the remarques that they paid $1000 for. He keeps pumping them out at lightning speed. Again it's great for the true collector, but if they think they'll get the $1000 back out of them in 5-10 yrs....well we'll have to see. I'm willing to bet heavily on "No".

I'm all for buying OA, I have a rather large collection myself and have only ever sold one item, my Walking Dead Cover because the offer was so big I felt I had to take it.

We should be celebrating Gabe's work in these threads, and it's digressing as of late. My point to you was that you seemed negative in tone. I apologize if that was not the case.

Edited by cujobyte

I spent more on an iPad game last year. To each their own. I have a few of the covers going to CGC so I was curious. I am always surprised by those who minimize the influence of these boards on prices.

First let me start by stating: Comics nor OA should be "investments".

I'm well aware of the board's presence, why else would J.S. Campbell's remarques go for $1000? I never do the "what I collect is great, what you collect is ...." nonsense. But quite honestly, IMO, people are in for a rude surprise if/when they ever go to sell the remarques that they paid $1000 for. He keeps pumping them out at lightning speed. Again it's great for the true collector, but if they think they'll get the $1000 back out of them in 5-10 yrs....well we'll have to see. I'm willing to bet heavily on "No".

I'm all for buying OA, I have a rather large collection myself and have only ever sold one item, my Walking Dead Cover because the offer was so big I felt I had to take it.

We should be celebrating Gabe's work in these threads, and it's digressing as of late. My point to you was that you seemed negative in tone. I apologize if that was not the case.

No worries. I was simply curious and it is challenging to see though both the negativity and the pimping. My business model is such that inventory turns are high so I don't hold long. I was considering a 1:75 X23 based on the selling price of a Gabe 1:25 and wrongfully so.

Anyone pre ordering DK III #7 from bulletproof comics? The description sounds interesting, "It depicts Batman crashing through the window as Joker is firing a handgun."

The ultra rare is a virgin purple, which I think is a great choice of color given joker is on the cover.