• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

DCBS is price gouging based on Dell'Otto's popularity.

A 1:50 variant for a Marvel Event series is very easy to get.

I wouldnt say they are price gouging, its just capitalism supply/demand.

Certain Faux News comic sites and groups have created a dell'otto bubble, so all his variants get sold out on DCBS quickly. Raising the price to prevent it from selling out isnt really price gouging, just proper business sense.

Eventually the Pump-n-Dumps won't be able to shill Dell'Otto's books any higher and a new equilibrium point will be found.

Like this thread that is at 150+ pages?

This is strictly an artist appreciation thread

Oh, well that clears it up then.

In fairness there are at least 10 pictures I can think of posted to appreciate.

Shoot, let's get crazy and call it 20!

You're making it into a hypothetical of how many of the regular covers they sell. We don't know what their ratios are.

True. We don't know their ratios. Given ebay sales though, Dell'Otto covers seem pretty in demand so I wouldn't be at all surprised if orders for the 1:50 chase variant would far exceed the demand required for the regular covers to qualify for the variant if it were priced lower. Wouldn't be at all surprised if some of those preordering from DCBS, etc were from folks looking for a quick flip on ebay. Kinda sucks for collectors who'd have to pay super high prices just to add this to their personal collection.

That said, Midtown would probably have it for cheaper but you'd have to get in your order quickly. They're first come, first serve once the incentive variants are posted for sale.

Mind, I don't think I'd be willing to pay $50 much less $100 for this sight unseen. Dell'Otto does some really good work but there's a bunch of his stuff I don't really care for (e.g. JL vs SS #1 Bulletproof Comix).

I've been hearing about this anonymous internet group that calls themselves "The Dell'Otto Bros" and I think they could be inflating the prices.

lol First I've heard of that. Sounds like a wild west bank robbing gang (shrug)

Jerome

It's not the first time. :baiting:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9323926#Post9323926

lol

I've been hearing about this anonymous internet group that calls themselves "The Dell'Otto Bros" and I think they could be inflating the prices.

lol First I've heard of that. Sounds like a wild west bank robbing gang (shrug)

Jerome

It's not the first time. :baiting:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9323926#Post9323926

lol

I'm not following you buddy, sorry (shrug)

Jerome

altough dell otto is really good, i always thought he was over rated......about 18 months ago, i met his "official" original art dealer in italy, who back then was selling his covers for about 4000-5000$

i always thought it was a bit expensive, and that the dell otto hype would go down....but about one year ago, his dealer decided to sell his covers directly from 4-5000$ to 15000-20000$

and i thought that he was crazy, that people would think like me and would boycott this sudden 300% rise, that the dealer would understand his mistake once he'd see that nothing sells, but to my surprise, every cover sells pretty quickly .....and it seems the prices will never go down

last april in paris (France), he was charging 600 euros (!!!!) for simple commissions (which is completely crazy i think), but i was surprised again when i saw how many people were lining up to get a sketch from him (the line was full everyday and all day long)

Idk....I've been watching a bit a of his variants as of late and it seems to me a lot of his variants have cooled down

It is 18 days till x'mas, everything will be cooling down till Jan. Those who have been around a long time knows this Thru early Feb is the best time to purchase. I of course need to buy x'mas presents, so everything gets put on hold as well.

altough dell otto is really good, i always thought he was over rated......about 18 months ago, i met his "official" original art dealer in italy, who back then was selling his covers for about 4000-5000$

i always thought it was a bit expensive, and that the dell otto hype would go down....but about one year ago, his dealer decided to sell his covers directly from 4-5000$ to 15000-20000$

and i thought that he was crazy, that people would think like me and would boycott this sudden 300% rise, that the dealer would understand his mistake once he'd see that nothing sells, but to my surprise, every cover sells pretty quickly .....and it seems the prices will never go down

last april in paris (France), he was charging 600 euros (!!!!) for simple commissions (which is completely crazy i think), but i was surprised again when i saw how many people were lining up to get a sketch from him (the line was full everyday and all day long)

That's a lot of money for brand new cover OA - I didn't expect that. I've seen a few of his covers relatively recently showing as available at various dealer sites for between $3 - $5k.

Idk....I've been watching a bit a of his variants as of late and it seems to me a lot of his variants have cooled down

I blame myself. Whenever I invest in something it is bound to tank. I recently sold two of the pink Harley Quinn covers in 9.8 for under $300 each. If I had just held on to the books and sold them raw I could have done much better. By the time I got my books back from CGC it was too late. It only took about two months too which isn't bad. I saw a couple of sales in the $950 range at the peak. I still made a nice little profit but it could have been much much better. One recently sold in open auction by another seller for just barely over $200. 1000 were printed which isn't a ton but it seems like a lot of them are 9.8s. Too many apparently.

On the other hand his virgin Venom cover had a print run of 500 and from what I've been reading it doesn't sound like there will be many 9.8s. Of course I didn't manage to buy any of those. I got one of the Bagley virgin Venom covers with a 500 print run though. Just as good right? Yeah no.

I blame myself. Whenever I invest in something it is bound to tank. I recently sold two of the pink Harley Quinn covers in 9.8 for under $300 each. If I had just held on to the books and sold them raw I could have done much better. By the time I got my books back from CGC it was too late. It only took about two months too which isn't bad. I saw a couple of sales in the $950 range at the peak. I still made a nice little profit but it could have been much much better. One recently sold in open auction by another seller for just barely over $200. 1000 were printed which isn't a ton but it seems like a lot of them are 9.8s. Too many apparently.

On the other hand his virgin Venom cover had a print run of 500 and from what I've been reading it doesn't sound like there will be many 9.8s. Of course I didn't manage to buy any of those. I got one of the Bagley virgin Venom covers with a 500 print run though. Just as good right? Yeah no.

Pink Harley and Virgin Venom are both Store variants. If you are going to invest big on some of his books (I wouldnt), at least try to focus on the direct from publisher variants.

Interestingly enough, there are 82 9.8 Blues and 133 total of the Pink variant and only 57 9.8 Blues and 76 total of the regular Color variant on the CGC census. No idea how many of the raws of the color are 9.8 candidates. Would be interesting to see how both of these do long term after accounting for inflation.

Meanwhile, there are 117 9.8 Blues and 212 total of the HQ #1 Cover A and 41 9.8 Blues and 112 total of Cover B on census.

Edited by aerischan

hm

Good point stressing how often these rare variants end up in the crapper.

They are random variants and were all bought mostly in two days... Something stinks...

:gossip: Goes back to September 9th. The 3 months that eBay shows.

Maybe you wanted the 1:200's, direct from the publisher, taking off....

hm

I reckon this is true of most variants regardless of whether it's publisher or retailer exclusive. It's probably quite rare for a variant to continue commanding high prices after initial release demand has died down.

Granted, that's probably true of all comics in general. There are a select few that float to the top while most can be found in dollar or even quarter bins (except those might be $5-10 bins decades in the future with inflation).

Betting if any of those variants get featured on CBSI, though, supply will probably dry up and price will go up. Not saying it's shilling or pump and dump. Just the effect of being featured on a site with a large following. :D

Edited by aerischan

hm

They are random variants and were all bought mostly in two days... Something stinks...

:gossip: Goes back to September 9th. The 3 months that eBay shows.

Maybe you wanted the 1:200's, direct from the publisher, taking off....

I guess I am missing the point... :shrug:

I don't see any discernable pattern or pricing trends here. The books are across multiple genres and collecting focuses across multiple non-key issues.

I could be wrong.