• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Spring Auction

359 posts in this topic

I have been buying Mike's Hulk pages under what I think they are worth for years.

I hear ya. Bought a Deodato Hulk splash cheap many, many years ago. Then sold it cheap many years ago. Been scratching my head ever since on that one. May need to look around and get another one, just to quiet the voices in my head! (That part at the end -for Chris :) )

Decided to pull the details out of the dustbin of history:

Incredible Hulk 447 page 01, title splash

paid $70 October-99

sold $100 March-03

What's FMV these days?

I have been buying Mike's Hulk pages under what I think they are worth for years.

I hear ya. Bought a Deodato Hulk splash cheap many, many years ago. Then sold it cheap many years ago. Been scratching my head ever since on that one. May need to look around and get another one, just to quiet the voices in my head! (That part at the end -for Chris :) )

Decided to pull the details out of the dustbin of history:

Incredible Hulk 447 page 01, title splash

paid $70 October-99

sold $100 March-03

What's FMV these days?

FMV is tough as prices seem to fluctuate a good bit. I just snagged a nice panel page for 150 in a recent auction. I would have to see the splash but I am sure it id $4/500+ if it is a real nice one (which opening pages from this era usually are).

$550 for a published grummet superman cover sounds like a steal!

I sure think so, but anybody that wants to correct me (again, not a follower of the Superman market) -please do :)

superman556cvr.jpg

If enjoyment of owning the art > expected price depreciation, then it's still worth it. If one is living hand-to-mouth and money concerns are always top of mind, then maybe one's enjoyment/pride of ownership is invariably going to be less than any financial hit taken. But, if comic art is what you love and you have the money, then sometimes you're willing to pay up for the privilege of ownership even if it's not your best financial/investment option.

And the transformation of Gene 1.0 to Gene 2.0 is complete!

I'm at least on Gene 3.0 by now, if not Gene 4.0!

He gets a free copy of Atlus Shrugged with each revision.

yes it did......a far cry from the 125k asking price on comiclink before the auction.

Didn't it previously sell on clink for 65k or something?

If enjoyment of owning the art > expected price depreciation, then it's still worth it. If one is living hand-to-mouth and money concerns are always top of mind, then maybe one's enjoyment/pride of ownership is invariably going to be less than any financial hit taken. But, if comic art is what you love and you have the money, then sometimes you're willing to pay up for the privilege of ownership even if it's not your best financial/investment option.

I missed this.

If you're a newbie to the boards...

Gene 1.0 was rational, conservative, stayed in the margins (relatively speaking).

Gene 2.0 is a nut.

My kind of nut.

Ladies, you CAN change your man!

lol

touche

BWS's CONAN SAGA covers have not appeared to fare well on resale the last few years. I can think of at least two where the sellers took an absolute bath at auction. We'll see if asking prices moving forward are adjusted accordingly (not holding my breath:P).

BWS's CONAN SAGA covers have not appeared to fare well on resale the last few years. I can think of at least two where the sellers took an absolute bath at auction. We'll see if asking prices moving forward are adjusted accordingly (not holding my breath:P).

its funny the first time I saw them I thought they were just beautiful. Now when I look at them I wonder why Conan is so light in his loafers on half of them.

It's a great change of pace, especially if (as most of us seem to be) your profession is anything but creative and right brain stimulating.

The dollars spent commissioning, collaborating, creating, imagining commission pieces can be a great outlet....well worth the price....and far cheaper than professional therapy.

I need to commission myself some Objectivist art. :idea:

CHRIS

giphy.gif

GENE

tumblr_mzud44rfus1qg4blro3_500.gif

lol

its funny the first time I saw them I thought they were just beautiful. Now when I look at them I wonder why Conan is so light in his loafers on half of them.

Beautifully drawn, but not the Conan I prefer. Conan should not be a metrosexual.

Beautifully drawn, but not the Conan I prefer. Conan should not be a metrosexual.

Even though as described by REH, pre-Buscema..?

06_conan_barbarian_1954_emsh.jpg

reh2a.jpg

touche

More like Gene 2.1, 2.2, etc. Slight tweaks, not the complete 180 from 1.0 to 2.0. That was a seismic shift in outlook. Went from resolutely sitting on the sidelines, to jumping in and bowling people over. I wouldn't say either 1.0 or 2.0 is right or wrong, both have valid reasons, just fascinating to watch the transformation occur over the last 10 years.

Lost everything I bid on except a single What if page.

What if stories might be unpopular because they don't have any impact on the Marvel Universe but I often enjoy them. The stories in this series are either a hit or miss for me and this page was from one of my favorites.

RADDBB2D2016511_13811.jpg

It's a great change of pace, especially if (as most of us seem to be) your profession is anything but creative and right brain stimulating.

The dollars spent commissioning, collaborating, creating, imagining commission pieces can be a great outlet....well worth the price....and far cheaper than professional therapy.

I need to commission myself some Objectivist art. :idea:

CHRIS

giphy.gif

GENE

tumblr_mzud44rfus1qg4blro3_500.gif

lol

The two Williamson pieces seem to have done well.

i had it for a moment at 3500 or so, than as i was going to go to 6k for "more money than brains" insurance it was over 7k....for a panel page...not Chaykin or Infantino.

The deal is simple now i think, no more star wars pages for me. If a Cynthia Martin average page is almost a grand, what hope is there in collecting these?

The two Williamson pieces seem to have done well.

i had it for a moment at 3500 or so, than as i was going to go to 6k for "more money than brains" insurance it was over 7k....for a panel page...not Chaykin or Infantino.

The deal is simple now i think, no more star wars pages for me. If a Cynthia Martin average page is almost a grand, what hope is there in collecting these?

To be fair, that was a SPECTACULAR panel page. That Chewbacca was magnificent (another sentence I'll probably only say once in my life). Al Williamson is a giant talent with an ink brush. This was the kind of page that pulls people in beyond the normal Star Wars art collector....I know it got me to bid more than once.