• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Spring Auction

359 posts in this topic

Romita Sr. Captain America cover vs. Romita Jr. X-men 211 cover

33K vs. 51K :o

Who would have thought Jr. Was going to outsell Sr.?

Especially with the condition issues of the X-men cover, I certainly did not see that coming.

Congrats to the seller.

Cheers!

N.

UXM 211 cover is so much more memorable though. (I was underbidder at $49k) I think 3rd bidder was $37k. Romita SR cover was cool too but I think it lacked that something extra to make two people chase it.

Especially with the condition issues of the X-men cover, I certainly did not see that coming.

The Wolverine Tax just keeps going higher.

Congrats to the seller.

Cheers!

N.

They both had "condition issues" lol

And I had the sale price of the X-men pegged almost exactly pre-auction. I knew what I thought a bargain would be, what retail might be and this was the number that I thought at least 2 people would be willing to go to in order to get it.

Seemed a very strong set of 90s results. Liefeld, Keown, Kieth, Silvestri, Art Adams...all very strong showings. McFarlane not so much though. Liefeld might've impressed me the most with a $4100 X-Force #1 page and 4 other panel pages going for $1300-1600. Six months ago those would be sub-$1k pieces. The Deadpool effect I assume?

I could be wrong, but wasn't this up on CAF last year for around a grand?

I would have guessed the Starlin Capt. Marvel splash would go for more. Cool page and vintage Starlin is red hot. No Thanos I guess.

Scott

I'm surprised Jim Starlin's "The Death of Captian Marvel" page didn't go higher. It's an epic story and great art.

I had once owned a page from the graphic novel, it's oversized on thick board which has absorbed the ink, so the rendering seems to turn purple and has faded with age, so I think collectors are a bit wary of buying into the art, maybe.

Seemed a very strong set of 90s results. Liefeld, Keown, Kieth, Silvestri, Art Adams...all very strong showings. McFarlane not so much though. Liefeld might've impressed me the most with a $4100 X-Force #1 page and 4 other panel pages going for $1300-1600. Six months ago those would be sub-$1k pieces. The Deadpool effect I assume?

Possibly Deadpool effect. Possibly 25 year rule. In this case, I helped too. If it's X-men related and the price seems high I was probably the underbidder lol (Other than me and whoever won, I don't see any other bidders on the X-force 1 above $2099)

I could be wrong, but wasn't this up on CAF last year for around a grand?

Repost

Those Starlin Thanos illo prices are mind boggling, I would chalk it up to uninformed buyers, but you need 2 to tango and this is not the first time this happened.

Malvin

Yeah it's been happening for a couple years. A flipper's been buying 11x14 full figure Starlins and getting Rubinstein/Milgrom to add backgrounds. I figure total cost is $800 max. Amazing the number of sheep ready to be fleeced out there :facepalm:

I would have guessed the Starlin Capt. Marvel splash would go for more. Cool page and vintage Starlin is red hot. No Thanos I guess.

Scott

I'm surprised Jim Starlin's "The Death of Captian Marvel" page didn't go higher. It's an epic story and great art.

I had once owned a page from the graphic novel, it's oversized on thick board which has absorbed the ink, so the rendering seems to turn purple and has faded with age, so I think collectors are a bit wary of buying into the art, maybe.

Starlin inked much of that story with an unstable marker and those pages inks are infamous for largely turning purple or brown, and thus not having the same valuation and demand as the story warranted.

Scott

Possibly Deadpool effect. Possibly 25 year rule. In this case, I helped too. If it's X-men related and the price seems high I was probably the underbidder lol (Other than me and whoever won, I don't see any other bidders on the X-force 1 above $2099)

Yeah, there were two late bidders that pushed it up; now I know one;) XF1 stuff seems to have a premium anyways. It's more the other XF pages that surprised me...very solid for average pages! Maybe it'll finally loosen some of the hidden Liefeld art up:)

Scott

Starlin inked much of that story with an unstable marker and those pages inks are infamous for largely turning purple or brown, and thus not having the same valuation and demand as the story warranted.

Scott

I always wonder how many great pieces of art we lose to bad ink...I have so many 90s pieces with sharpie...*cries*

Yeah, there were two late bidders that pushed it up; now I know one;) XF1 stuff seems to have a premium anyways. It's more the other XF pages that surprised me...very solid for average pages! Maybe it'll finally loosen some of the hidden Liefeld art up:)

I was both bidders ($3500 & a second try at $4000) lol I can't take credit for the other X-force pages though. Those I didn't understand either. X-force 1 pages I think are going to continue to keep going up though I bet. Even at $4100 I'm jealous of whoever won.

I don't follow mcfarlane much but it seemed like a little bit of coming to reality

Yeah I've been expecting this '90s surge since about 3 years back.

The bigger jump in Liefeld X-Force/NM panel pages was from $3/400 to $1k a year or so ago. Looks like Silvestri prices are finally catching up too.

McSpideys actually seemed to do ok considering the quality of these pages.

I was both bidders ($3500 & a second try at $4000) lol I can't take credit for the other X-force pages though. Those I didn't understand either. X-force 1 pages I think are going to continue to keep going up though I bet. Even at $4100 I'm jealous of whoever won.

The pages from books 6-7 have been around the block a few times too. No Cable, no major characters...very surprising.

As for X-Force #1 pages, I sure hope so ;)http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=96246

Yeah I've been expecting this '90s surge from about 3 years back.

The bigger jump in Liefeld X-Force/NM panel pages was from $3/400 to $1k a year or so ago. Looks like Silvestri prices are finally catching up too.

McSpideys actually seemed to do ok considering the quality of these pages.

Silvestri has been doing insane! Some really impressive sales for his stuff. For years you couldn't find any of the UXM and Wolvie stuff.

And yeah, the McFarlanes were mediocre pages and did ok. Considering how little Spidey you get, it's still pretty impressive.