• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicLink Spring Auction

359 posts in this topic

I was underbidder on the 2 Keown End pages. Maybe I'm out of touch but I should have been blown out of the water. If I didn't have too much on the go already I would have bid higher. Oh well.

Malvin

I think Ploogs Werewolf was considerably low. , A Double Page Splash Featuring Dracula engage in a fight with Werewolf for $4500 is a bargain IMO

If this were truly a double page splash, then yes, it would have been an excellent purchase at that price. However, all of the art is on one art board ( art image size =10x15). Additionally, only one half of the board is a splash, while the second half of the board contains 3 panels.

I was underbidder on the 2 Keown End pages. Maybe I'm out of touch but I should have been blown out of the water. If I didn't have too much on the go already I would have bid higher. Oh well.

Malvin

Keown The End pages went stoopid cheap. I paid more for the pencilled splash nearly a dozen years back! Nice pickups for the winners!

There's so much nice art competing for dollars these days. Don't know about anybody else but in my case, as each new auction comes out I eyeball a handful of pieces that I may realistically win. Typically five to seven that may be overlooked and go for 20% or more under fmv. And then about a week out from live date, another auction co shows their upcoming wares and the process beings anew. Result = even if I win nothing at present auction, I have 100% of funds spent (in my mind) at the next one. And on, and on, and on.

The Negative Nancy in me continues to wonder at what point supply overwhelms demand (aka earmarked disposable income that won't cost you your marriage!) The black hole collections (mine own included) also represent an artificial supply constraint on vintage. At some point a large group of those aged 40-60 will go from net buyers to net sellers. And as each year passes, the body of 'vintage' on the whole expands faster than the loss/destruction (birth/death rate, if you will) of same. Most of the stuff we collect is created with high quality materials; nearly all will 'live' longer than us, even if not stored ideally.

Solution? Like Amway I think we each need (must commit!) to bring two more friends in every year, and they can bring two more of their friends in, and on, and on, and on :)

I think Ploogs Werewolf was considerably low. , A Double Page Splash Featuring Dracula engage in a fight with Werewolf for $4500 is a bargain IMO

Agree, as I take a second look. Cool double page spread (with a full page Dracula v Werewolf splash) by Ploog in peak form. That it was executed on a single board (turned horizontal) probably kept a lid on price IMO but otherwise a strong piece from an artist/content perspective. Congrats to the winner.

yes it did......a far cry from the 125k asking price on comiclink before the auction.

I'm a bit stunned by this result, to be honest. I Wouldn't have made my other purchase and would have focused on this one instead. Hindsight...

There's so much nice art competing for dollars these days. Don't know about anybody else but in my case, as each new auction comes out I eyeball a handful of pieces that I may realistically win. Typically five to seven that may be overlooked and go for 20% or more under fmv. And then about a week out from live date, another auction co shows their upcoming wares and the process beings anew. Result = even if I win nothing at present auction, I have 100% of funds spent (in my mind) at the next one. And on, and on, and on.

The Negative Nancy in me continues to wonder at what point supply overwhelms demand (aka earmarked disposable income that won't cost you your marriage!) The black hole collections (mine own included) also represent an artificial supply constraint on vintage. At some point a large group of those aged 40-60 will go from net buyers to net sellers. And as each year passes, the body of 'vintage' on the whole expands faster than the loss/destruction (birth/death rate, if you will) of same. Most of the stuff we collect is created with high quality materials; nearly all will 'live' longer than us, even if not stored ideally.

Solution? Like Amway I think we each need (must commit!) to bring two more friends in every year, and they can bring two more of their friends in, and on, and on, and on :)

Falling prices are what I am hoping for... lol

Seemed a very strong set of 90s results. Liefeld, Keown, Kieth, Silvestri, Art Adams...all very strong showings. McFarlane not so much though. Liefeld might've impressed me the most with a $4100 X-Force #1 page and 4 other panel pages going for $1300-1600. Six months ago those would be sub-$1k pieces. The Deadpool effect I assume?

I don't follow mcfarlane much but it seemed like a little bit of coming to reality

What McF pieces were in this auction? I just bought a piece (I think someone was selling to fund something in this auction) so I was tapped out and did not follow. I really need to get better about placing tracking bids - wish CL would show auction results like HA.

Malvin

Keown The End pages went stoopid cheap. I paid more for the pencilled splash nearly a dozen years back! Nice pickups for the winners!

What did they go for?

Falling prices are what I am hoping for... lol

(thumbs u

Not in the cards. Broadly that is. There was a time when this was a possibility, I believe that time has passed though.

Meanwhile, $8600 for the Capullo Spawn cover. That's a bit of a letdown for $15-$30k crowd I bet. But not for the winner :) (not me, but I do like it!)

Malvin

What did they go for?

P39 = 866

P40 = 3100

Malvin

What did they go for?

P39 = 866

P40 = 3100

Thanks

Agree, as I take a second look. Cool double page spread (with a full page Dracula v Werewolf splash) by Ploog in peak form. That it was executed on a single board (turned horizontal) probably kept a lid on price IMO but otherwise a strong piece from an artist/content perspective. Congrats to the winner.

Valid points, but still a good deal.