• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers #1 or Avengers #4?

20 posts in this topic

Assuming you are going to purchase both in the next year which would you buy first and why?

Talking CGC 3.0 - 7.0 range. Nothing earth shattering just solid mid to low end.

Anyone make a case for one or the other to appreciate faster or perhaps decrease in value more than the other?

Both books will always be in some demand as "key books" but are they slow sellers or does one fly off the auction boards vs the other? In demand more so to speak.

Is one harder to find the other? Seems to be plenty of both available but no idea if one has more than the other in census.

I've always leaned more towards Avengers #4 as captain just makes the Avengers for me. Not a true first appearance but the first in the silver age and the start of the "real Avengers" in my eyes.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed before just couldn't find anything current and was curious as to others opinions.

Thanks!

As a Captain America fan I've always preferred issue 4, especially with that very dynamic cover.

Is one harder to find the other? Seems to be plenty of both available but no idea if one has more than the other in census.

They have about the same census numbers.

At the moment there are more #1s on the market than #4s.

Both books already had their big bump/market flooding from their movies so the books are pretty stable.

Per GPA

There were 104 copies of Av4 sold in the last 12 months.

There were 100 copies of AV1 sold in the last 12 months

So go with the one you like first (which sounds like AV4.

If you choose Avengers 4, be picky about gloss, color whites, and cut..... that's where your future premium will be factored ...... as an example, go to Foolkiller's current sales thread in GA/SA/BA ....... and study the copy he listed which was purchased almost immediately. Compare it to other available copies and you should be able to see exactly what I'm talking about. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

If you choose Avengers 4, be picky about gloss, color whites, and cut..... that's where your future premium will be factored ...... as an example, go to Foolkiller's current sales thread in GA/SA/BA ....... and study the copy he listed which was purchased almost immediately. Compare it to other available copies and you should be able to see exactly what I'm talking about. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Sage advice. Avengers 4 is a lot like some of the other 1964 white covers; FF 26 and DD 1 come to mind. There's some ugly examples of those books running around out there with pretty nice numberical grades on the slab.

My pick is Avengers 4. It's the day the Marvel Universe (re)discovered it's soul. Just look for a square copy with clean covers and supple pages. There are some ugly examples with crispy covers and creamy pages out there. Avoid if at all possible.

Totally agree with this.

A beautiful Avengers #4 trumps a beautiful Avengers #1. Iconic, exciting cover vs. a rather bland group shot.

In the end get both, but start with #4.

Dan

I think if both are bought within the year, it won't make a great deal of difference. I'd PM Fein about his 4.0 #1 if it were me.

Advice taken and deal in place.

Thanks all for the feedback and directing me to a great seller and great copy!

I think if both are bought within the year, it won't make a great deal of difference. I'd PM Fein about his 4.0 #1 if it were me.

:hail: :hail: :hail:

:headbang:

Thanks KirbyJack. Steve's a great guy and he chose wisely :preach: Na, I'd personally pick the 1, and go for 4 afterwards. It's the team we are taking about here! I agree with many, the 4 is a must have as well though, and iconic cover. Both classic!

Thanks KirbyJack. Steve's a great guy and he chose wisely :preach: Na, I'd personally pick the 1, and go for 4 afterwards. It's the team we are taking about here! I agree with many, the 4 is a must have as well though, and iconic cover. Both classic!

Congrats to both :applause:

And I agree with everyone else as an Avengers fan you MUST own both :)

Thanks too bro! It seemed it worked out well! You guys rock.

Thanks too bro! It seemed it worked out well! You guys rock.

Yay! Glad you both got what you needed. :applause: