• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Neg Or Not To Neg? - That Is The Question

To Neg or not to neg  

336 members have voted

1. 1. To Neg or not to neg

78 posts in this topic

If only...if ONLY...I'd only had to deal with sellers who issued immediate refunds and told me to keep the book.

That would have been a cakewalk.

No, I got the "no one's ever complained about anything I've sold before" and "I think you're trying to scam me" and "I've been grading for 30 years" (which, of course, is an immediate red flag) and "it's not my fault if the post office damaged your item "

:cloud9:

Leave him positive feedback concerning honoring his return policy and move on. Otherwise, please don't bid on any of my sales.

As long as you don't use the same listing and description touting 9.6/9.8 grades for multiple books of varying conditions, I don't think we'll have a problem.

Just because the guy honors his return policy doesn't mean he's an honest seller. IMHO

Leave him positive feedback concerning honoring his return policy and move on. Otherwise, please don't bid on any of my sales.

As long as you don't use the same listing and description touting 9.6/9.8 grades for multiple books of varying conditions, I don't think we'll have a problem.

Just because the guy honors his return policy doesn't mean he's an honest seller. IMHO

You should invite him here then and ask him since you are questioning his integrity.

You should invite him here then and ask him since you are questioning his integrity.

+1

It doesn't mean he isn't.

Negs are for obvious irrefutable scandalous behaviour.

he should not have the "not a stock photo" in his listing, but i wonder if that is just duped from other listings where he doesn't have 27 of them to sell?

i think you are confusing carelessness with a lack of honesty.

We're all guilty of being careless at some point. Lord knows I have had my share. I try to do right by people, particularly if they are not belligerent right off the bat.

The seller immediately did the right thing.

You have your money back and a book.

Why are you dwellings on this further?

Move on!

THIS

And to the response that suggests leaving a "Neutral feedback and be slightly condescending in your communication", are you for real? A mistake was made and it sounds like it was handled promptly. Good respectful communication is the only way to conduct any kind of business, whether you are a buyer or seller, being a only makes things worse. I have had books go missing or arrive damaged on my end and I also have books that I have sold go missing in transit, and one that I missed an interior page rip. All these situations ended in both parties getting excellent feedback and continuing to do more business with each other.

i said if they respond and ask (not in a nice way like what happened to me) to respond in that fasion........not to go out of your way and do it.

i look at it different. did they do the right thing, yes. (mention it in the feedback) was a "mistake" made, maybe this could be a MO for them not to look through a book and are just assuming it's complete, so just mention there was an issue with the book

in my example a comic shop shipped the book in an envelope with a peice of cardboard (book was not taped to the cardbord mind you) so i left feedback saying they did refund but did not ship the book correctly to not cause damage. they wrote me back basicly demanding i take the netural away. so i did what i mentioned wrote them back on why the refund and incorrect shipping balanced each other out to a netural and then went to explain why their shipping was bad and how to correct it (i was polite but condasending)

the netural was left bc if they are shipping a NM book to me in this fasion then they are doing it to others and the feed back is to let others know. the refund is for makeing the situation right, not buying my silence to warn others about it

in his case if they are overlooking such a big cut in the book, then they are prob missing things in other books, the seller should take it as a lesson to look through his books

I'd leave a positive for the hassle free refund, but in my comment warn buyers to inspect their comics thoroughly before leaving positive feedback.

this is why i would do a netural, if you leave a positive......people won;t read it, a netural will point it out to them

again it's a balancing act, the book was damaged (neg), refund was given (postive) so you go in the middle

honestly for myself i've only given 1-3 neturals in my ebay history, other then that it's all positives the while time

Hi all, this is the seller in question. First off, thanks to whichever good Samaritan took the time to inform me of this thread. Much appreciated.

Now, concerning this item: we recovered copies of this comic from deep storage. They were left over from initial orders made waaaay back in the 90s, and lingered in our overstock since. When they were discovered, I inspected each one individually, and when they were photographed and listed each was in virtually identical condition. If a copy had some kind of flaw or imperfection worth mentioning or picturing I would've taken a separate picture of that comic specifically, and the listing would've reflected its condition to the best of my grading abilities.

So yes, I admit to being guilty of reusing an image, that I took, of one of the actual copies, which resembled the other copies so closely it didn't seem necessary to repeat photos. And when I say resembled, these comics looked like they had just been unpacked from their initial shipment in 1992. Every single copy was absolutely fit to be listed under that title. And I should add that, with a couple exceptions similar to this (specifically mishandling during shipment, which has already been addressed, and we've reevaluated our packing methods. Oh and those buyers got immediate refunds, and got to keep their copies too), not a single customer had a complaint.

With regards to the torn page: yes that one slipped past me. I didn't take the time to flip through every copy (especially given the stock was checked and stored over 20 years ago), and that's on me. But, you know, I did resolve the situation by essentially giving him a free comic. I'm a monster.

So let's address the actual situation here, because I'm really confused about how this is unfolding. The buyer purchased the book, was dissatisfied with his purchase, and requested a refund to take action on that dissatisfaction. I didn't get a single message before receiving the refund request, nor any request asking me to correct the mistake I made. Only a refund request. And within a couple hours of that request being issued, I followed through, and opted to let the seller keep the book, something I virtually never do. Had this buyer contacted me before taking action, I would've addressed it immediately, and done the utmost to ensure he was 100% satisfied with the transaction, flaw or no. Had this buyer taken the time to express his concerns, I may have had another copy still in stock to replace the damaged copy with (which I would've sent at no additional cost to him, and even paid return shipping for the damaged copy).

However there was absolutely no communication beforehand, and only this lovely message after: http://i.imgur.com/Fmu7py3.png What I get from this message is that the buyer is satisfied with how the problem was resolved, and I took his concerns under advisement for future listings. As 90% of the comics I list are modern (like released within the last 3-6 months modern), problems like this typically don't occur.

Now I'm under a different impression of Mr. Buyer "not trying to be difficult" after being directed here from someone watching the thread. Should I interpret "not trying to be difficult" as being crucified, unbeknownst to me, for following the rules and guidelines of selling on eBay, after having performed my due diligence as a seller? What should I think of having neutral or negative feedback loom over my head for following through on a sale, issuing the seller a FULL REFUND, AND ALLOWING HIM TO KEEP THE BOOK? I'm getting real mixed signals here, because I'm out the cost of the comic and shipping, and Mr. Buyer is out exactly $0. Well, I guess he's out the time it took him to put me on blast here too.

And what to think about him "understand[ing] issues can arise during shipping", or him complimenting my professionalism? Or that he seems content that the issue was resolved to his satisfaction? Needless to say I'm at a bit of a loss for words, because that message directly contradicts how Mr. Buyer is attempting to portray me. The fact that I'm even taking the time to address this non-issue is absolutely ludicrous.

Needless to say Mr. Buyer has been blocked from making any further purchases from my eBay store, and should I have to address a feedback issue I'll be sure to file a complaint with eBay alongside screenshots from this thread. I'm pretty sure eBay's not cool with users deciding on neutral or negative feedback based on popular vote from people who had no involvement in the actual sale.

Afterword: Since Mr. Buyer didn't make any attempt to mask my identity, I don't really see any reason to mask his.

Here's his message again in case it got lost in the text: http://i.imgur.com/Fmu7py3.png

EDIT: So upon further inspection I see that Mr. Buyer created this thread AFTER contacting me. Pay attention to the time stamp in the upper left (

), and take a look at the time stamp on his original post. Very interesting.

If I have to return a book it wasn't a positive experience. I don't care how nice the seller is or how fast they respond. I don't give extra credit for honoring a return policy that they most likely have no choice about in the first place. People seem petrified to even leave a neutral rating. I imagine it is how lots of mediocre sellers maintain good ratings.

Hi all, this is the seller in question. First off, thanks to whichever good Samaritan took the time to inform me of this thread. Much appreciated.

Now, concerning this item: we recovered copies of this comic from deep storage. They were left over from initial orders made waaaay back in the 90s, and lingered in our overstock since. When they were discovered, I inspected each one individually, and when they were photographed and listed each was in virtually identical condition. If a copy had some kind of flaw or imperfection worth mentioning or picturing I would've taken a separate picture of that comic specifically, and the listing would've reflected its condition to the best of my grading abilities.

So yes, I admit to being guilty of reusing an image, that I took, of one of the actual copies, which resembled the other copies so closely it didn't seem necessary to repeat photos. And when I say resembled, these comics looked like they had just been unpacked from their initial shipment in 1992. Every single copy was absolutely fit to be listed under that title. And I should add that, with a couple exceptions similar to this (specifically mishandling during shipment, which has already been addressed, and we've reevaluated our packing methods. Oh and those buyers got immediate refunds, and got to keep their copies too), not a single customer had a complaint.

With regards to the torn page: yes that one slipped past me. I didn't take the time to flip through every copy (especially given the stock was checked and stored over 20 years ago), and that's on me. But, you know, I did resolve the situation by essentially giving him a free comic. I'm a monster.

So let's address the actual situation here, because I'm really confused about how this is unfolding. The buyer purchased the book, was dissatisfied with his purchase, and requested a refund to take action on that dissatisfaction. I didn't get a single message before receiving the refund request, nor any request asking me to correct the mistake I made. Only a refund request. And within a couple hours of that request being issued, I followed through, and opted to let the seller keep the book, something I virtually never do. Had this buyer contacted me before taking action, I would've addressed it immediately, and done the utmost to ensure he was 100% satisfied with the transaction, flaw or no. Had this buyer taken the time to express his concerns, I may have had another copy still in stock to replace the damaged copy with (which I would've sent at no additional cost to him, and even paid return shipping for the damaged copy).

However there was absolutely no communication beforehand, and only this lovely message after: http://i.imgur.com/Fmu7py3.png What I get from this message is that the buyer is satisfied with how the problem was resolved, and I took his concerns under advisement for future listings. As 90% of the comics I list are modern (like released within the last 3-6 months modern), problems like this typically don't occur.

Now I'm under a different impression of Mr. Buyer "not trying to be difficult" after being directed here from someone watching the thread. Should I interpret "not trying to be difficult" as being crucified, unbeknownst to me, for following the rules and guidelines of selling on eBay, after having performed my due diligence as a seller? What should I think of having neutral or negative feedback loom over my head for following through on a sale, issuing the seller a FULL REFUND, AND ALLOWING HIM TO KEEP THE BOOK? I'm getting real mixed signals here, because I'm out the cost of the comic and shipping, and Mr. Buyer is out exactly $0. Well, I guess he's out the time it took him to put me on blast here too.

And what to think about him "understand[ing] issues can arise during shipping", or him complimenting my professionalism? Or that he seems content that the issue was resolved to his satisfaction? Needless to say I'm at a bit of a loss for words, because that message directly contradicts how Mr. Buyer is attempting to portray me. The fact that I'm even taking the time to address this non-issue is absolutely ludicrous.

Needless to say Mr. Buyer has been blocked from making any further purchases from my eBay store, and should I have to address a feedback issue I'll be sure to file a complaint with eBay alongside screenshots from this thread. I'm pretty sure eBay's not cool with people levying neutral or negative feedback based on popular vote from people who had no involvement in the actual sale.

Afterword: Since Mr. Buyer didn't make any attempt to mask my identity, I don't really see any reason to mask his.

Here's his message again in case it got lost in the text: http://i.imgur.com/Fmu7py3.png

I, for one, think you did the right thing.

It was a MISTAKE and you made good on it.

I think positive feedback is in order.

If the "buyer" does not agree than he should leave no feedback at all.

That is my 2 cents