• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Showcase #4 9.8 on Comic Connect - sold for 15k

417 posts in this topic

I don`t get all the disdain here. As far as I`m concerned, all restoration of comics, unless it`s solely for preservation purposes, is manufacturing.

You`re taking an imperfect comic and manufacturing a new grade by artificially making it look better than it really is. It`s just a question of degree.

Probably too much restoration. Most posters here avoid restored books like the plague and that's with very little work done.

Yeah, but once a book is restored, it's either restored or it isn't. If you've taken the mental plunge to accept restoration, why stop at having a POS book restored only slightly to look like a semi-POS book? Just max it out to make it look like a mint book, because either way, it's no longer the original book.

Who cares if it's a slightly fake book or if it's a really fake book? Either way, it's fake.

Because the actual value is based on how much of the original book is present.

For people who can't afford 9.4 copies of anything they want like you can, they settle for 'fake' copies.

Damn elitist.

When cgc arrived the concept was that a 3rd party would look at the item ie comic & do there best to let the owner and any potential buyers know what they were buying. In a nutshell the books grade, including if the book was 100% original or if at some point had some type of restoration done. Over all I really feels its been a very good thing for this hobby as it keep growing prices soar & its best that both new & old comic buyers know what they are looking at and can make a fair and honest evaluation of what the comic is worth using CGC & other factors to determine a value. However imo these new super resto books seem to be somehow different and to me at least a bit misleading if not straight up dishonest. The fact that CGC will not give them a grade should says a lot about CGC and about the other company.IMO its just bad business, its bad for the hobby in the long and short term for many reasons & I just can't see anything good coming out of it.

When cgc arrived the concept was that a 3rd party would look at the item ie comic & do there best to let the owner and any potential buyers know what they were buying. In a nutshell the books grade, including if the book was 100% original or if at some point had some type of restoration done. Over all I really feels its been a very good thing for this hobby as it keep growing prices soar & its best that both new & old comic buyers know what they are looking at and can make a fair and honest evaluation of what the comic is worth using CGC & other factors to determine a value. However imo these new super resto books seem to be somehow different and to me at least a bit misleading if not straight up dishonest. The fact that CGC will not give them a grade should says a lot about CGC and about the other company.IMO its just bad business, its bad for the hobby in the long and short term for many reasons & I just can't see anything good coming out of it.

I sure love me a good ol Frankenbook. = old school Ext (P).

But these new IGB 9.8 clones will eventually destroy the market for old school Ext books imho.

But these new IGB 9.8 clones will eventually destroy the market for old school Ext books imho.

The fact the cgc is not grading these new igb books means their ext should still be viewed as they always have been. Don't think it will destroy but have just the opposite effect and create more demand for them vs cbcs ep

Why not just take a reproduction cover and put it on and call it a 9.8. That's basically what this 9.8 is....a reproduction of a Showcase 4 using a tattered Showcase 4 to paint on top of.

That's exactly the point I've always made about restored books. Why stop at adding a few pieces to turn a 4.0 POS into a 7.0 POS? It's still a POS.

If you're going to fix a book up, fix it all the way up. Just slap a 10.0 repro cover on the interior pages and voila, looks brand new.

I don`t get all the disdain here. As far as I`m concerned, all restoration of comics, unless it`s solely for preservation purposes, is manufacturing.

You`re taking an imperfect comic and manufacturing a new grade by artificially making it look better than it really is. It`s just a question of degree.

Probably too much restoration. Most posters here avoid restored books like the plague and that's with very little work done.

Yeah, but once a book is restored, it's either restored or it isn't. If you've taken the mental plunge to accept restoration, why stop at having a POS book restored only slightly to look like a semi-POS book? Just max it out to make it look like a mint book, because either way, it's no longer the original book.

Who cares if it's a slightly fake book or if it's a really fake book? Either way, it's fake.

Because the actual value is based on how much of the original book is present.

For people who can't afford 9.4 copies of anything they want like you can, they settle for 'fake' copies.

Damn elitist.

Restored is restored, just like pregnant is pregnant. There's no slightly to it. Once you've messed with the book, it's no longer untouched.

And my point is I understand that people can't afford to own a 9.4 copy. So if they don't care if a book has been artificially improved, why not improve it all the way? It just makes no sense to me.

Restoration has never bothered me much, as the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I've always thought that it was a pretty good way for a collector to purchase something they really wanted but could never otherwise afford.

I like the idea of getting the full lowdown before, as it gives the potential buyer all that is needed to understand what they are getting and helps determine how much they are willing to pay for it.

I have an All Star #3 that was restored by Matt Nelson about 15 years or so ago. The book came with his original resto summary including a before and after picture. This was transferred to me along with the book when the purchase was made. I've always assumed that this was a standard practice and would be of great help to prospective buyers.

Having said that, none of my other restored books have similar documentation, which suggests to me that either the practice has ceased OR owners simply choose not to pass along the documentation (for whatever reason.)

Anyone know which it is???

Restored is restored, just like pregnant is pregnant. There's no slightly to it.

So CGC, Overstreet and the entire hobby have been wrong all along in ascribing such terms to resto??? :o

Yep, after desecrating the book with one tiny dot of color touch, you may as well retouch the entire book with a trowel, whilst reinforcing each page with linen whilst redrawing all the art and reglossing the cover with laminate so it all looks nice and shiny. meh

There are degrees of restoration, and some of it is meant to preserve. I don't know whether I prefer the term false equivalence or bad analogy regarding what you said, so I'll go with both. ;)

Restored is restored, just like pregnant is pregnant. There's no slightly to it.

So CGC, Overstreet and the entire hobby have been wrong all along in ascribing such terms to resto??? :o

Yep, after desecrating the book with one tiny dot of color touch, you may as well retouch the entire book with a trowel, whilst reinforcing each page with linen whilst redrawing all the art and reglossing the cover with laminate so it all looks nice and shiny. meh

There are degrees of restoration, and some of it is meant to preserve. I don't know whether I prefer the term false equivalence or bad analogy regarding what you said, so I'll go with both. ;)

I have to agree with goldust40, there are verying degrees of restoration. A color touch should be held in the same regard as a recreated cover?!? No way.

Also I've been able to slightly impregnate plenty of women :whistle:

The fact the cgc is not grading these new igb books means their ext should still be viewed as they always have been. Don't think it will destroy but have just the opposite effect and create more demand for them vs cbcs ep

good point!

and wise move that the CGC protects their brand by turning away these 9.8 clones.

Restored is restored, just like pregnant is pregnant. There's no slightly to it. Once you've messed with the book, it's no longer untouched.

It's nothing like that.

And my point is I understand that people can't afford to own a 9.4 copy. So if they don't care if a book has been artificially improved, why not improve it all the way? It just makes no sense to me.

Because

a) not all books can be fully restored to their 'as new' state

b) because some people don't want a book fully restored

c and again, the value of a restored book all depends on how much of the original book there is left after the restoration

good point!

and wise move that the CGC protects their brand by turning away these 9.8 clones.

who knows, The cbcs-decision to slab the 9.8 clone books could jump up and bite them in the arrse...

Yes you nailed it, a manufactured reprint using original pieces best describes this comic.

Hardly any different than an uncirculated 1916 mercury dime that someone has altered by adding the D mintmark.

Not quite the same thing. The value in that dime is in having been made in Denver that year. It would be like taking a small chunk of a genuine 1916 D dime, and building a new coin around it.

If the book is 50% or more "new", it shouldn't be considered "restored", but "replaced."

As long as the market rewards this, and other money-making ploys, like "single page slabbing", it will only continue.

If you can make more money taking apart a coverless Batman #1 and selling it slabbed page by slabbed page, it will continue to happen.

When the market stops rewarding it, it will stop. The trick is to convince the market to stop doing it.

lol

I did say in my first post on this topic "unless it`s solely for preservation purposes", so I understand a difference between preservation and restoration, and what I'm referring to is restoration.

It's nothing like that.

It is in my world and the world of others who don't like restoration. Color touch or complete recreation, the books is now so much mulch in my eyes.

So you might as well go for the full monty, so that at least the mulch looks prettier.

Color touch or complete recreation, the books is now so much mulch in my eyes.

And that is only because you can afford pretty much anything you want in the way of comics.

Most can't, so it becomes degrees of acceptance.

Like I said, damn elitist. lol