• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persistent Ebayer wants to deal privately

1,072 posts in this topic

Bottom line is you wanted to get rid of the book or need the money. If someone wants to deal off eBay to save them money and to save you the seller fees, then why not do it?

What if everyone did this? Do you think that would be a problem?

Fact is, that would never happen. There are too many foreign transactions and way to many items being offered and sold.

Not surprising you didn't answer the question.

Give an answer to a question that would never happen?

If everyone thought like you it certainly could happen. Unless you don't think everyone is entitled to do the same.

Yes, if the 160,000,000+ active users on eBay thought like I did it would happen. However, if that was the case and 160,000,000+ people thought like one person we would have more problems on our hands than worrying if eBay made their cut or not.

Keep the hypothetical questions coming... It will prepare me for when my daughters are a little older.

No matter how you try to justify it to yourself, you're stealing from a company that you chose to do business with. Nothing hypothetical about what's right and wrong here, or who's integrity-impaired.

Feel free to judge someone's integrity for selling a book off eBay...

Bottom line is you wanted to get rid of the book or need the money. If someone wants to deal off eBay to save them money and to save you the seller fees, then why not do it?

Fact is, that would never happen. There are too many foreign transactions and way to many items being offered and sold.

If everyone thought like you it certainly could happen. Unless you don't think everyone is entitled to do the same.

Yes, if the 160,000,000+ active users on eBay thought like I did it would happen. However, if that was the case and 160,000,000+ people thought like one person we would have more problems on our hands than worrying if eBay made their cut or not.

Keep the hypothetical questions coming... It will prepare me for when my daughters are a little older.

No matter how you try to justify it to yourself, you're stealing from a company that you chose to do business with. Nothing hypothetical about what's right and wrong here, or who's integrity-impaired.

Feel free to judge someone's integrity for selling a book off eBay...

So tell us the other ways you steal and cheat...

And it comes back to this - without using eBay, those "160,000,000+ users" wouldn't see the books you're selling. So you're paying them for A LOT more exposure than any one of us would get on our own. So if you list a book on eBay, sell it on eBay and pay the 10%. After that sale, I think it's more okay to deal off of eBay.

I have sold on eBay and then dealt off eBay. I never said I was only posting books on eBay to sell off eBay. Typically I sell to whoever is interested first.

I think that's fine if they're a repeat customer. If it's a first-time buyer, I lean toward selling through eBay. The 10% is just the cost of acquiring a new, repeat customer.

But I do believe that violates Ebay policies.

Exactly. And that rises to the same level as telling your grandmother the ugly sweater she made you is great.

Can Ebay suspend your account for violating terms of service this way?

But I do believe that violates Ebay policies.

Exactly. And that rises to the same level as telling your grandmother the ugly sweater she made you is great.

Can Ebay suspend your account for violating terms of service this way?

I suppose they could for repeat violations but that would mean they would have to observe you doing it. Assuming you are a willing seller and there's a willing buyer on the other end, they wouldn't observe you doing it. So, its unlikely.

So tell us the other ways you steal and cheat...

The sanctimoniousness of this and other comments here is precious. I'm sure if all your actions were observed for a week you would not be so quick to judge.

The belief that it's ok to steal from a company is bad enough, but to expect that it shouldn't be judged is ridiculous.

Nobody's calling for a stoning or seppuku.

:news: Sellers listing books are charged a listing fee. :news:

A seller lists a book on eBay. If a person sees the book, messages the seller and figures out a way to contact the seller off of eBay and figure out a way to purchase the book off of eBay, what violation has occurred? hm

The seller paid for that service already - a listing and advertisement of the book. When they cancel the listing and sell the book via other means, neither party used any additional service provided by eBay such as checkout, buyer protection, eBay bucks or anything else eBay offered.

There is nothing wrong with doing this. Otherwise every seller that simultaneously lists their book on eBay and another site such as ComicLink, MyComicShop or their own site is "violating the rules of eBay."

eBay knows this which is why the place filters to prevent messages being sent that include "yahoo" or "hotmail" etc. to prevent off-site communications and keep sales on-site so they can collect their fees.

The belief that it's ok to steal from a company is bad enough, but to expect that it shouldn't be judged is ridiculous.

To judge and insult for what we're discussing here is ridiculous, especially for a 'newbie'.

wow!!! this topic is still being discussed ??

Its like a school yard free for all : The intellectuals in one corner calmly assessing and objectively influencing...the bullies plowing over multiplicity ...the impulsively emotional (like myself) with a quick response but limited insight ..and the exacerbated scrupulosity of the obsessive followers - jumping in out taking shots while desperate to gain acceptance from the big boys.

The only comment that keeps coming back for more like a Tijuana hooker on a saturday night is : "but it's stealing from corporate america and its wrong" (paraphrasing of course).

implying its immoral and unethical to manipulate available avenues that may tarnish the unity of the glorious corporation. A corporation that's worked so hard to afford millions a quality of life through vision and integrity.

I'm sure there are more strong valuable companies out there than bad ones. Ebay may be a tremendous company with great value. I was wrong yesterday to generalize and imply otherwise..BUT....the morally righteous on here crack me up.....not one of you have ever taken a longer lunch against policy, left early , over billed , borrowed supplies, taken a sick day when you weren't really sick, "worked" from home so not to lose vacation time (but only stuck around for the 1 hr board meeting conference call even though getting paid for the entire day) ? its all the same principle.........

all these things (even if you've done one of them just a couple of times)...is a misuse of policy and takes profit right from said corporation. "what if everyone did it?"..well, it's done all the time in every aspect of corporate america and no one cares (well, maybe the CFO cares)...just like no one cares if a deal is made outside Ebay - but let's be clear - I was never referring to an auction that had activity. Only BIN

:news: Sellers listing books are charged a listing fee. :news:

A seller lists a book on eBay. If a person sees the book, messages the seller and figures out a way to contact the seller off of eBay and figure out a way to purchase the book off of eBay, what violation has occurred? hm

The seller paid for that service already - a listing and advertisement of the book. When they cancel the listing and sell the book via other means, neither party used any additional service provided by eBay such as checkout, buyer protection, eBay bucks or anything else eBay offered.

There is nothing wrong with doing this. Otherwise every seller that simultaneously lists their book on eBay and another site such as ComicLink, MyComicShop or their own site is "violating the rules of eBay."

eBay knows this which is why the place filters to prevent messages being sent that include "yahoo" or "hotmail" etc. to prevent off-site communications and keep sales on-site so they can collect their fees.

:news: Ebay gives FREE listings to me every month, and so I have rarely ever had to pay to list my items there. :news:

:cool: