• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Persistent Ebayer wants to deal privately

1,072 posts in this topic

Your projecting here... I can be honorable without being a slave to corporate idiocy.

Reminds me of a comic book dealer who backed out of a deal and then said "My word is good. Ask anybody!" lol

Come on Roy... you saying you've never been obligated to do something that you felt morally uncomfortable with?

All I'm saying is that if you agree to do something and then don't do it, there is no way to justify it away.

I think there are situations that would justify that. Is it justifiable within the context of eBay... maybe, maybe not? But I don't think one can be deemed unethical for selling a book off eBay.

The original topic still applies, as do your (almost self-incriminating) responses:

Do you, like my persistent bidder, violate Ebay's terms of service agreement by trying to buy/sell items that are advertised on Ebay but bought/sold offline to avoid Ebay fees?

Lets just say that I consider myself an ethical person. I don't begrudge you for having your own point of view and I do pay my taxes.

It's unethical to break a contract.

Not when that contract is unethical to begin with. Case in point: There are court cases where the judge felt the fine print was unfair for being printed to small, contradictory and counter productive.

Do you feel ebay's contract is unfair or counterproductive? does that mean you are cancelling your ebay account?

Fair enough. :cool:

btw... what is your Ebay ID? ;):grin:

Many people here know my eBay ID. If they want to "out" me, that's their moral choice. I prefer to remain anonymous at this moment due to some hostile feelings some people may have. I can't predict what online people may want to do in retaliation or just for the fun of it.

For the record I don't feel vger is a bad person or anything - I just like to argue and when I see discrepencies in someone's reasoning I have to try to point it out.

Do you feel ebay's contract is unfair or counterproductive? does that mean you are cancelling your ebay account?

You may disagree with me but believe that legal language is purposefully designed to be confusing in order to intimidate people.

It's unethical to break a contract.

Not when that contract is unethical to begin with. Case in point: There are court cases where the judge felt the fine print was unfair for being printed to small, contradictory and counter productive.

Wait, are we talking about the mandatory and hyper-convoluted income tax laws that you have no problem paying, or the simple and voluntary Ebay fees you object to?

(shrug)

Thumbs up? Cool... I guess this means I can hit the sack now. Great topic... sorry I couldn't be more available earlier to better express myself.

Chat you guys up on the next topic.

You may disagree with me but believe that legal language is purposefully designed to be confusing in order to intimidate people.

What is confusing about eBay's policies? :shrug:

Here's a fair question: Let's say you're an eBay buyer and you encounter a seller who has a bunch of cool comics you like. You purchase a few of the seller's BIN sales. Then you message to ask: "Will you be selling more comics like the ones you have listed?" The seller says something like, "Yes, I have a couple dozen more that I found at an estate sale. I was going to list all of them on eBay eventually."

At that point, is it unethical to attempt to make an outside deal? Could you say, "Look, I'd love to buy all of them at a rate similar to what you sold the previous comics for -- can we work something out?" and is that within eBay policy? Is the buyer/seller at that point ethically or contractually obligated to conduct the deal using eBay's existing resources?

Here's a fair question: Let's say you're an eBay buyer and you encounter a seller who has a bunch of cool comics you like. You purchase a few of the seller's BIN sales. Then you message to ask: "Will you be selling more comics like the ones you have listed?" The seller says something like, "Yes, I have a couple dozen more that I found at an estate sale. I was going to list all of them on eBay eventually."

At that point, is it unethical to attempt to make an outside deal? Could you say, "Look, I'd love to buy all of them at a rate similar to what you sold the previous comics for -- can we work something out?" and is that within eBay policy? Is the buyer/seller at that point ethically or contractually obligated to conduct the deal using eBay's existing resources?

Not in the slightest if the items were never listed on ebay.

What is confusing about eBay's policies? :shrug:

I think we all realize at this point he is just looking for any reason to justify his actions.