• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you have a collecting nemesis?

60 posts in this topic

No longer. But for a decade there it was Cory G mostly, with frederic massa right there as many can probably relate to.

I also had a convention nemesis. Lou V, a newly recent board member. He was always in the line in front of me, with a better parking spot, and invariably better sketches from many of the same artists. He got smart and more selective before I did as well. Great guy, couldn't lose out to a nicer man.

There's some guy named "The Ron" who got all this artwork personalized to him in the 80's....now he's outbidding me every time he sees one pop up.

Infuriating.

Oh yeah, a few. Funny thing is I have become good friends with some of them which has changed my perspective completely whereas previously I would have cursed their name, now I am genuinely happy for them when they get a great piece that I would have loved to have myself. The ones I haven't developed friendships with, not so much.

Yep, I have several for Star Wars art. I have a few for New Mutants....but I have one guy in particular who collects my favorite character and has managed to pick up all his best pages that Ive seen. His funds arent unlimited but he has fought me for pieces in the past. If it wasnt for him I could have had a few more in the "no show" private pile.

I do but I don't know who it is. It is for Batman artwork from the various Gotham, Adventures, etc. based on the animated serious. Whoever it is wins about 1/2 the time.
How do you know its only one other person?

I don't. Could be a single person could be several.

I have one that used to be a friend of mine. But when he sniped me in an auction after telling me he wasn't going to be bidding (This was before i knew collusion was so unfair for the seller :makepoint: ) and then stated he knew he had to have the piece from the moment he saw it, he went from nemesis to 100% person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed (if he's reading this :hi: )

art over friendship :facepalm: