• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It is time for Comic Book Men to be cancelled

82 posts in this topic

I remember the first season of Comic Book Men. I was real excited because it was the only show on about comic books. I was kinda disappointed with the first season but I kept watching. It got worst and worst each year but again it was the only show about comics so I kept watching. Last week it reached its apex of disappointment when a guy brought in an electronic football game to sell. This has absolutely nothing to do with comics. I thought it was a disgrace. Most of the time they deal in toys, not comics. This kinda reminds me of the San Diego Comic Con where they promote movies and toys but never comics. Why is something about comics never about comics? And why does this show have to come on so late? It follows the Walking Dead that comes on like 50 times in a row and then Comic Book Men comes on at midnight. I don't understand this. Why can't it come on earlier or some other day? I am still amazed this show has been on for 6 years. I just feel like people that like a show like this and go to San Diego are not real comic fans but fans of everything associated with comics.

I would prefer changing the show to cut out the "reality" aspect instead. Everything that happens in the store is staged and poorly staged at that. If they would just do the roundtable discussions and maybe bring in big name comic guests, they would have a fun show.

It comes on late because it is not intended to capture a large audience (like, e.g., TWD), and because it doesn't capture a large audience, the commercial time AMC sells to advertisers (to recoup production costs and make a profit) is relatively inexpensive. In addition, CBM has to be incredibly cheap to produce -- most of it is shot at the store in Red Bank, New Jersey or in a studio, and I'm assuming the program "talent" is paid relatively little. Therefore, AMC still makes money on this show because they're able to sell cheap commercial time offset by very low overhead.

The fact that 85% of the show is devoted to anything but comic books is another issue altogether, but I suspect the show would have been cancelled after the first season if it was devoted solely to comic books.

Keep in mind that the show doesn't come on late everywhere. It's on at 9pm on the west coast. I still watch it, but usually while surfing the boards or eBay.

The one thing that always bugs me, though, is Mike's negotiations with customers selling something to the store. No matter what dollar amount the customer asks for, Mike always offers them half.

I enjoy the show even though it has some pretty lame moments. That said, would rather something than nothing. I enjoy the time around the table with Kevin the most. I listen to his Fatman on Batman podcast and personally think he's entertaining.

The show has always been painful to watch because it is so heavily and obviously scripted.

Reformat to a more spontaneous show, maybe like American Pickers where they travel to cons to highlight trends in comics, or looking for local comic stashes or sales, or something just to make the show much less "wooden" feeling.

I like the guests but the regulars need to either quit with the scripted banter or do something to bring in real comic experiences.

I'm pretty sure it's the same show...there was a clip of them selling a Dark Knight set to some girl and her friends visiting from out of town.

The person selling the set said they were all "first prints." The #1 was clearly a second/third print. I think the girl bought it.

I showed that in a post somewhere a year or two ago.

Is a comic book dealer supposed to know everything? No. But are they supposed to make sure before they make claims? Absolutely. And they should have checked, if nothing else, at the time of the sale.

meh

Saw one episode hoping it would be something cool. Never watched another episode.

They should have something like PBS Antique Roadshow filmed at comic book conventions (*). People bring in their comics and have it filmed/graded. I'd watch that.

(*)...If this ever comes true I want full credit for this idea lol

Saw one episode hoping it would be something cool. Never watched another episode.

They should have something like PBS Antique Roadshow filmed at comic book conventions (*). People bring in their comics and have it filmed/graded. I'd watch that.

(*)...If this ever comes true I want full credit for this idea lol

CGC could and should *totally* do this with their walkthrough grading service!

The question is this... with the big meme of the anteater with outstretched arms...

Are you not entertained?

I am

It is enjoyable background clutter as I do some late night paperwork?

Yes...

therefore.,.. I am entertained...

This

The 'show' is idiotic in the extreme.

I never understood why people like the discussion segment. It's boring in the extreme.

See, they're 'discussing' something that didn't happen-that was scripted. That kinda puts a damper on interesting discussion ya know?

Watched the Stan Lee episode and the only thing that impressed me was how spry he was. Now i'm wondering if it heavily edited.

I saw Stan at a con yesterday. had him sign three of my books. He was spry. Can walk (slowly) on his own, can engage with fans and his family (his daughter and grandaughter?) easily, with a smile on his face and some seemingly genuine enthusiasm. He also took pictures with people, STOOD and took pictures with people at the photo op (admittedly the photo op was limited).

I'm sure he has good days and bad days, and of course there are age and health issues for some percentage of the time.

I too wish they would focus more on comics. Sometimes the toys are cool though. I've always enjoyed the show, but there has been some awkward obviously scripted moments this year. But I'll keep watching, the guys usually get me to laugh every episode. Brian is hilarious and I think his persona can sometimes bury an awkward moment with smart humor.

We can complain about how staged it is but it's just a show and it's great that Kevin and Walt grew up together loving comics and now get to have their own shop and a show. So I'll support it til it's end.