• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Frazetta Motherload
7 7

571 posts in this topic

Did the 2008 signing use a ball point pen? I always assumed we had the markers (silver/gold) for darker covers and some kind of fine ink pen for these Vamp 1s. But the more I look at these sigs the more they look like a standard old BIC pen. Can that be? Maybe I am too anal about the signatures here.

The vast majority of the 2008 books were blue ballpoint pen. Chainnball or one of the attendees could elaborate as the whys and wherefores.

Personally, I wouldn't have cared if he had put a crayon in his armpit.

--S.

Did the 2008 signing use a ball point pen? I always assumed we had the markers (silver/gold) for darker covers and some kind of fine ink pen for these Vamp 1s. But the more I look at these sigs the more they look like a standard old BIC pen. Can that be? Maybe I am too anal about the signatures here.

The vast majority of the 2008 books were blue ballpoint pen. Chainnball or one of the attendees could elaborate as the whys and wherefores.

Personally, I wouldn't have cared if he had put a crayon in his armpit.

--S.

Fair enough, thanks for the information.

Another question for the group. Given the low number of these how much does page quality affect values? Clearly a W or OW/W PQ is preferred over C/OW pages but I was curious what people thought about this in their valuations.

Chris

Personally, I think the underlying book is basically still the same value as unsigned. The Frazetta signature itself adds a minimum of $1,500(?) as some have suggested. Then, the "specific combo" of book and signatures which are most desirable to a particular collector, for whatever reason (is it a key? is the signature placement awesome? etc.), adds any additional premium above a simple calculation of GPA + $1,500.

Over time, I assume the "flat estimate" of $1,500 for the signature will continue to increase.

Another question for the group. Given the low number of these how much does page quality affect values? Clearly a W or OW/W PQ is preferred over C/OW pages but I was curious what people thought about this in their valuations.

Chris

Personally, I think the underlying book is basically still the same value as unsigned. The Frazetta signature itself adds a minimum of $1,500(?) as some have suggested. Then, the "specific combo" of book and signatures which are most desirable to a particular collector, for whatever reason (is it a key? is the signature placement awesome? etc.), adds any additional premium above a simple calculation of GPA + $1,500.

Over time, I assume the "flat estimate" of $1,500 for the signature will continue to increase.

I don't think the $1,500 thing really works.

I don't believe it either.

Seems clear we have dealer pricing and auction pricing with a big spread in between.

Dealers and private sellers can ask whatever they want, sometimes they get it it seems because the supply is so low.

Recent auction sales: Vamp1 5.5 $1200, Vamp 1 7.0 $2000, Creepy 2 9.2 $1200, Creepy 27 9.6 $1500, Eerie 5 9.4 $1500.

Everything thinks these were very cheap prices, but in looking at GPA they were right in line with trends and previous sales.

I don't know though. I am new here.

Chris

So GPA for Vampi 1 is $200 for a 5.5 and $265 for a 7.0. That puts the sig premium at $1000 and $1735 on those two sales.

Creepy 2 has a $500 sale, so the premium was $700 on that sale

Creepy 27 is a $50 book in 9.6 so that premium was $1500

Eerie 5 has a crazy outlier $500 sale, while the last 9.6 went for $90. The sig premium for that sale was either $1000 or $1500 depending upon how you feel about the blue 9.4 sale.

So while the $1500 is clearly not a hard and fast rule, it is a pretty good rule of thumb.

Those books just didn't get the advertising they deserved.

I am pretty sure that 9.6 Tally-ho #1 sold for at least 10k a couple of times. The Vampirella #1 9.4 signed by Frazetta and Adams sold a couple of times for around 5k.

Only problem with GPA numbers, it does not cover private sales. (or even advertised books that were sold outside of ebay or wherever)

Those books just didn't get the advertising they deserved.

I am pretty sure that 9.6 Tally-ho #1 sold for at least 10k a couple of times. The Vampirella #1 9.4 signed by Frazetta and Adams sold a couple of times for around 5k.

Only problem with GPA numbers, it does not cover private sales. (or even advertised books that were sold outside of ebay or wherever)

Crazy the highest SS Vamp1 got double signed - by Adams, no less. At least that white sig looks decent on that book and isn't too distracting.

I imagine if any of the non Warren "keys" came up for sale those would break records - Famous Funnies, Thun'da, WF 29.

I can't find the information anymore on Ebay, but I thought nycomix sold a few for 3 - 4K. That put the sig at a lot more than $1,500.

So I guess you could say that $1,500 might be a decent average, but that doesn't really help anyone looking at a specific book.

I think the only recorded sale is a 4k Vamp 5 from NYC. I don't have access to their private sales, of course, but I consider that an outlier and if you look at the GPA data (and yes it has weaknesses) it is an outlier. But I am guessing there are previous private sales that justify this price. How many people are really willing to drop thousands for one of these non-key mags? The amazing sets we have seen here were purchased for circa 300/book cost (thereabouts). I am being offered another Vamp 5 for 6k based on that NYC price point recorded in GPA and the apparent belief that the Frazetta signature increases in value every month. Us latecomers to the party are certainly screwed unless we are happy to get just one example and call it a day. That's not really my style, but I also can't justify being into these for 5k a book when looking at a nice run of 13 books (I get the number 13 from the census numbers for which more than a single copy exists, tracking singletons down would be crazy and I can only imagine the price for that example).

I do think the 1500 sig price may be a decent ballpark estimate though. When you look at the numbers and consider that many of these Warren mags are not that valuable 1500-2000 per book seems about right, with the exception of the Vamp 1 sales and the recent Vamp 5. Then you get amazing things like a Vamp 11 7.5, only SS in the census, that sells for 1200 in 2015!! Stuff like this is why I balk at prices of 5-6k per book. On the other hand, if someone came to me with a set of 10 of these at 2k per book I would write them a check for the lot without much thought.

I honestly don't see much upside at these prices considering you really start butting up against original art prices. For example, I could buy the Vamp 1 reissue at a 9.8 for 10k. Instead I bought Frazetta's original Lord of the Rings sketchbook for just a little more (10 original drawings, all initialed, several prelims for plates that were never released). So I guess the opportunity cost for these is too high when you look at what can also be bought for similar money. At least that is how I see it. Maybe there is less crossover of collecting graded books and OA than I realize. And as I write this I think maybe I don't have the mindset for collecting CGC books. Regardless, I would be a wealthier man if I had never discovered this thread ;)

As always, just my 2 cents, am no expert nor claim to have any real knowledge of the industry. Thanks to all who responded to my PMs and thanks to the posters who have shared their images here.

Edited by cstojano

Just looked back through earlier posts. nycomix vampi 5 9.4 sold for $4,000. I can't imagine the GPA on the unsigned booked is much more than a few hundred bucks.

I see 240, 275, and 185 sales of this book at 9.4. So yeah, this is way out of line.

A Vamp 5 9.4 CGC SS sold in 2014 for 776 dollars. So in 2014 the Frazetta sig was worth maybe 500 dollars added value, in 2016 the sig is adding 3800 value.

Edited by cstojano

I can't find the information anymore on Ebay, but I thought nycomix sold a few for 3 - 4K. That put the sig at a lot more than $1,500.

So I guess you could say that $1,500 might be a decent average, but that doesn't really help anyone looking at a specific book.

Yup, but they were private sales, so no GPA.

One sold on ebay. Can't find the listing now, but look on page 11 of this thread. There was a best offer accepted and I looked it up at the time.

I love your website.

I actually think Vamp 10 is my favorite cover. From afar the girl looks like a photograph.

Edited by cstojano