• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

eBay The eBay Official eBay Thread eBay
34 34

4,340 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2024 at 10:50 AM, Junkdrawer said:

To be clear, I bought this raw and submitted it to CGC. I didn’t count the pages and I was cutting my losses and moving on. I guess I will cut more losses and try to move on yet again. The book is on its way back to me raw. Do you suggest I just burn it? :baiting:

Burn it from your memory yes

On 6/18/2024 at 10:39 AM, manetteska said:

Good news, everybody!

My eBay selling limit is now $5,000,000.00.

My inconsistent selling of $20 comics must have opened some eyes over there.

My limit was also updated. 

I can now sell up to 5 million ITEMS per month for a whopping 50 MILLION DOLLARS per month. 

I'd better get cracking! Lol. 

Came across a listing this evening where this was the first thing in the guy's description text block :

If you watch an item and I can offer a lower price, I will offer you the lowest price I am willing to accept at this time. Attempting to use Watcher offers to circumvent my bottom line offer will result in your offer being declined and you will be paying the full retail price for the item. No exceptions. Don't expect me to consider your offers of 30% or greater off of the retail price to be a reasonable negotiation; they're insulting. 

Has anyone ever had this issue with eBay? Whenever I search for something, when I click "Search" on the Advanced Search page, it automatically clicks the box to search only one specific seller. (An option I've used before, but by no means want to use for EVERY search.) It's not even clicked on by default; ebay adds it when I click the Search button, so I have to go back into Advanced Search and click it off every time to get the results I want. I cleared cookies and cache, but that didn't solve it.

On 7/11/2024 at 9:09 PM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Has anyone ever had this issue with eBay? Whenever I search for something, when I click "Search" on the Advanced Search page, it automatically clicks the box to search only one specific seller. (An option I've used before, but by no means want to use for EVERY search.) It's not even clicked on by default; ebay adds it when I click the Search button, so I have to go back into Advanced Search and click it off every time to get the results I want. I cleared cookies and cache, but that didn't solve it.

I had that issue a couple days ago, or at least something similar. After any search I did I had to clear filters to see anything listed. I wasn't paying attention to see what filters were on though so I don't know if it was searching a seller or something else.

ebay is fickle sometimes

Among past things that I've noticed, and that Idk if I still remember happens or I've somehow grown used too.... :insane:

Today's perception is if I type in a book into ebay followed by

cgc (specific grade)

It doesn't just show me that grade until I adjust to "lowest to highest or highest to lowest" under sold or for sale.

Definitely still shows me every book for sale, even though I've typed in the grade with cgc but no quotes, while clicking "sold" might then find the search paying attention. 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I believe it is on the gross including shipping and sales tax collected.  

On 7/12/2024 at 9:28 AM, rexinnih said:

Do you know if that is $5,000 after Ebay fees? Thanks. 

On 7/12/2024 at 9:28 AM, rexinnih said:

Do you know if that is $5,000 after Ebay fees? Thanks. 

eBay will add onto your 1099 any sales and shipping you were paid out for. Unsure on taxes. This includes cancelled sales and refunds. I had an $8000 buyer cancelled sale a few years back they put on my 1099.

Edited by Tnexus

On 6/6/2024 at 12:18 PM, Point Five said:

What you're saying makes sense but this has not been my experience.

A few years ago, ebay started charging me tax on every purchase, **regardless of the seller's state.** I'm not sure if it's "a New York thing" (like ebay has an office here or something), or if this has happened to everyone across the board, or if it literally has only happened to me (jeez). 

I went back into my Purchase History just now. As examples, here are screenshots of Order Details from purchases I made in December and February. I live in New York... the first seller is in FL, the second is in PA...

Screenshot2024-06-06at11_59_24AM.png.46bfa4e25bf081be0ad6049f17323df4.png 

Screenshot2024-06-06at12_02_19PM.png.9ce7cad9e860ced2388513eaf76de27f.png

So regardless of what state they're located in, I was getting charged tax.

Sometime in April... with no explanation or fanfare... this just stopped happening, and it's been a surprising and substantial savings for me. No tax of any kind on the ebay purchases I've made since then.

@rjpb, you're still a hardcore ebayer, yes? Any idea on this?

As far as I know, sales tax is based on where you send it to, not where it's sold. Most States have different sales taxes depending on where you live. NYC is more expensive than Upstate NY...so if you are working in NYC and live outside NYC, might want to check the sales tax where you live and not send it to the NYC address if the tax where you live is less. 

Not wanting to reread the entire thread, but I do have a question for sellers.

Ebay has been sending offers to me on books that I just looked at and moved on. Do sellers even know that these have been sent out? At first I was notifying sellers that I wasn't interested, but now I'm just letting these offers expire to save my sanity.

Any thoughts?

On 7/20/2024 at 9:35 AM, evilskip said:

Ebay has been sending offers to me on books that I just looked at and moved on. Do sellers even know that these have been sent out? At first I was notifying sellers that I wasn't interested, but now I'm just letting these offers expire to save my sanity.

Any thoughts?

I get those sometimes too - I think it's a setting to "automatically send offers." I accidentally checked that on a listing I made as a seller, and I only noticed it because the book had "offers sent" in my dashboard, but I didn't send them. I turned off the setting for my listings.

On 7/20/2024 at 9:35 AM, evilskip said:

Any thoughts?

It's automatic.  I believe only for sellers that pay an advertising fee?  I think if you actively decline, you can then delete them from your offers, but it's so prevalent I just let them expire and delete the ones that have timed out daily.  Kind of annoying.

I think a lot of it is a move by eBay to constantly be feeding notifications to the app users.  Not to mention to make sellers (like me) feel like they are missing out that our stuff isn't promoted like it could be.

On 7/20/2024 at 10:35 AM, evilskip said:

Any thoughts?

There is an option to automatically send them. In my case I do it manually whenever books have been sitting for a couple of weeks with a bunch of watchers. 

It works pretty well and I make a lot of sales with send offers. 

Edited by Stefan_W