• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,182 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2023 at 6:12 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

There's a lot to like. I suggest seeing it for some of the visual spectacle, OST (original soundtrack), and the story is fairly strong.

I can agree with this, yet there is so many awful scenes included for "humor" that really drop the film a lot for me ( as in I can't look past those scenes, forget they happened in favor of the rest of the movie)

-Slob with Eric Stoltz tattoo on his calf

-girl "burp talking" I'm Batman - UGH

-Flash putting a baby into a microwave.

-Younger Barry ( he is extremely annoying)

etc.

On 7/10/2023 at 10:06 AM, Artboy99 said:

I kept reading this before I saw the film. Then when I saw it, I wondered what the heck got people fired up over this.

A falling unplugged microwave that Barry inserts into it and removed him within seconds to protect the baby. Remember that. The Flash is moving so fast, that baby is in that device for all of seconds so falling objects could not hit it while Barry focused on the other babies also within seconds.

No offense meant. But those key details do make a significant difference.

On 7/10/2023 at 10:06 AM, Artboy99 said:

I can agree with this, yet there is so many awful scenes included for "humor" that really drop the film a lot for me ( as in I can't look past those scenes, forget they happened in favor of the rest of the movie)

-Slob with Eric Stoltz tattoo on his calf

-girl "burp talking" I'm Batman - UGH

-Younger Barry ( he is extremely annoying)

etc.

That was purposeful, though. We often have nostalgia for the past, but forgot what ID10Ts we were. It was also to show how well-off he was with both parents alive and free. Mature Barry inspired himself in the end (finale), too, which was probably the best way to conclude the multiverse mess.

Agree with you on the other stuff. I've already mentioned before that there were some really odd creative choices in this movie.

On 7/10/2023 at 10:14 AM, Bosco685 said:

I kept reading this before I saw the film. Then when I saw it, I wondered what the heck got people fired up over this.

My mom was a bit up-in-arms about it, but I told her that I was exposed to "baby in a blender" jokes in high school, so this was NBD. I think that people 40+ are generally more sensitive about weird content like that, because media can be suggestive, so why put something so weird and unnecessary in a CBM? Overall it was a good scene, so it's just a nitpick.

On 7/10/2023 at 10:20 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

My mom was a bit up-in-arms about it, but I told her that I was exposed to "baby in a blender" jokes in high school, so this was NBD. I think that people 40+ are generally more sensitive about weird content like that, because media can be suggestive, so why put something so weird and unnecessary in a CBM? Overall it was a good scene, so it's just a nitpick.

All the falling objects around the babies that are shown in that scene, I picked up immediately on he inserts the baby in the microwave to protect it from the falling needles and debris so he can go grab the other babies.

Sad when a scene like that leads to claims it promoted baby abuse.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:14 AM, Bosco685 said:

A falling unplugged microwave that Barry inserts into it and removed him within seconds to protect the baby. Remember that. The Flash is moving so fast, that baby is in that device for all of seconds so falling objects could not hit it while Barry focused on the other babies also within seconds.

No offense meant. But those key details do make a significant difference.

it is a bad idea/ concept. Remove it from the film and then the scene does not have a potentially offensive moment. Thankfully none of the babies looked real and looked like fake plastic dolls which is another issue entirely.

On 7/10/2023 at 10:31 AM, Artboy99 said:

it is a bad idea/ concept. Remove it from the film and then the scene does not have a potentially offensive moment. Thankfully none of the babies looked real and looked like fake plastic dolls which is another issue entirely.

'offensive moment' is such a challenging topic nowadays.

• Falling dog = "Oh my god - they want to toss animals out of the window"
  • Falling nurse = "Look - they disrespect medical staff"
  • Falling scalpels = "Look at the disrespect for such key medical devices that thousands of people around the world work hard to craft"
  • Falling concrete = "Give me a moment - I'll figure out a theme of offensive to ensure we rally against this. Just hold on!"

:nyah:

I would say that it's the act of Flash purposefully putting a baby in a microwave that's simply weird. I'm sure there are people offended by it, but it can't be that many. I think that the majority of people would agree that it's just weird, and something else would have worked in its place. 2c

On 7/10/2023 at 10:42 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would say that it's the act of Flash purposefully putting a baby in a microwave that's simply weird. I'm sure there are people offended by it, but it can't be that many. I think that the majority of people would agree that it's just weird, and something else would have worked in its place. 2c

Seeing the acid and scalpels falls directly towards the babies, along with build debris that at one point slices right through the falling toy duck, it's not a stretch of the imagination what was being conveyed.

Not saying it is some form of masterful cinematography. But the amount of social media backlash towards that scene is yet another example of heightened cultural sensitivity. Where was that in Age of Ultron when Tony Stark proclaims Prima Nocta?

Oh, wait. That was early MCU.  ^^

On 7/10/2023 at 10:48 AM, Bosco685 said:

Where was that in Age of Ultron when Tony Stark proclaims Prima Nocta?

I wasn't around these parts when AoU was released, but I do remember pretty much everyone in my circles thought that was a poorly-written joke. The way that The Office handled it (with Michael Scott) was hilarious.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:42 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I personally don't care but I acknowledge it is weird and think it is better to avoid going there. The time it took him to open the microwave, eat part of the burrito and throw the other half, grab the baby, put it into the microwave and close the door he could have just moved the falling infant. Or perhaps we remove everything about that particular infant and leave the rest if the writers insist rescuing falling babies is the way to go.

Edited by Artboy99

On 7/10/2023 at 10:32 AM, Bosco685 said:

I hope anyone worried about the microwaved baby watches this clip.  It makes it clear the filmmakers were going for an extended sight gag here, and in the theatre showing I attended, I would say it mostly worked.  I recall a lot of laughter at this point, including from the wife & daughter.  

"OMG- falling babies... what could be worse!?"
"Wait... he's stopping for a snack instead of rescuing them?  What possibly could be worse?"
"OMG NOT THE BABY IN THE MICROWAVE!!!"  :ohnoez:

It might also be a callback to the infamous Letita Lerner, Superman's Babysitter.  The comic that got pulped because Paul Levitz didn't think the audience could handle a (Kryptonian) baby-in-the-microwave gag in 1999.

On 7/9/2023 at 2:29 PM, fastballspecial said:

Movie companies are just going to have to accept that its going to be a long time before we return to pre Covid numbers if we ever do.

I totally disagree.  Spider-Man No Way Home, Avatar the Way of Water, Mario Brothers, Top Gun, and even Gaurdians prove people will see films in theaters.  Yes, the theater business is weakened, but for high buzz and wanted films people will come out. These films have just not driven audiences.  Also the biggest movie going group, males between 18 and 35 are not the group still changing their behavior for COVID.

On 7/10/2023 at 12:44 PM, drotto said:

I totally disagree.  Spider-Man No Way Home, Avatar the Way of Water, Mario Brothers, Top Gun, and even Gaurdians prove people will see films in theaters.  Yes, the theater business is weakened, but for high buzz and wanted films people will come out. These films have just not driven audiences.  Also the biggest movie going group, males between 18 and 35 are not the group still changing their behavior for COVID.

I agree. But I think over the past few years what we have also seen is any landmines a production may include intentionally or unintentionally that then social media and some general audience members may latch on to as major disappointments. Which then becomes the next alert of a "horrible" or "terrible" film, no matter how extreme or light an item may be. Which then studio marketing needs to kick in so as to attempt to conduct damage control versus just promoting a film.

Social media as an open feedback loop has become more danger than benefit to society in these situations. And especially when some use it to detract from a production with a biased goal in mind.

Edited by Bosco685

On 7/10/2023 at 11:44 AM, drotto said:

"Yes, the theater business is weakened" 

And will take years to recover which is what I said if at all.
Families are just as happy to stay home and watch films and save $50+
to see a film a month later. They created this problem. 

On 7/10/2023 at 3:51 PM, fastballspecial said:

"Yes, the theater business is weakened" 

And will take years to recover which is what I said if at all.
Families are just as happy to stay home and watch films and save $50+
to see a film a month later. They created this problem. 

Isn't really a recent development; in 2002 1.575B tickets were sold in US, in 2019 it was 1.228B.  Streaming & the pandemic have just exacerbated what has been a 20 year (really 80 year) secular decline in movie-going in the US.

Edited by paperheart