• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,182 posts in this topic

On 6/27/2023 at 2:25 PM, Cman429 said:

I think they expected at least the Snyder fans to stay on board as a way to show support for the remains of his “vision.”

If that's true, it shows precisely how how out of touch with reality the executives are.

On 6/27/2023 at 12:24 PM, eastriver400 said:

its Superman. One of the most recognizable IP’s in the world.  Couple that with the fact that it’s the first movie in a Universe reboot.   Regardless of budget, if SL brings in a total of 500 million worldwide then I would be surprised to see WB pouring any more serious money into non Batman movies. 

Superman returns made $391 million, and Man of Steel did $668 million.  Given inflation and the general profile of Superman, then next movie will likely need to be at least $650 million to be seen as successful.  I was looking for a number, with a reasonable budget where the movie would make money.

On 6/27/2023 at 2:34 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

If that's true, it shows precisely how how out of touch with reality the executives are.

That is so much biased noise there.

The Emmerich/Hamada creative team made it clear they had moved on from anything 'Snyderverse' related. Which is why even with Cavill appearing in Black Adam it came down to the last month of shooting that Dwayne Johnson finally got around them for approval. And even when Hamada showed up at the Heard/Depp trial and was asked if he had spoken about DC movies with Zack Snyder, Hamada laughed it off and made it clear he doesn't speak with Snyder. But as if the attorney had meant he needed to consult with him on DC movies.

So what WB exec was assuming they were playing to "Snyderverse fans" as I bet they weren't? Other than near the end The Flash director said he hoped Snyder watched the film as he may appreciate it.

On 6/27/2023 at 2:08 PM, Bosco685 said:

If the reaction to Cavill's return became such a positive - and the scene cut was leading into Man of Steel 2 - in addition to lining up Gal Gadot's next movie - what do you think?

I think instead of speculating we should look at how well it worked for Black Adam.  

Spoiler alert:

It didn't work. If it had, Cavill would still be our Superman.

On 6/27/2023 at 4:30 PM, eastriver400 said:

I think instead of speculating we should look at how well it worked for Black Adam.  

Spoiler alert:

It didn't work. If it had, Cavill would still be our Superman.

Because how it just spilled out right before the release, and even then for opening weekend there was no news about Cavill until the following week.

So you expected rumors and confusion to drive the general audience seeing a film?

On 6/27/2023 at 5:23 AM, media_junkie said:

Wow, so what, 32 days from theatrical release to being able to watch at home.

I am surprised they waited that long. No need to go to catch a matinee at the theatre on my time off next week now. lol

On 6/27/2023 at 12:56 PM, Bosco685 said:

That is so much biased noise there.

The Emmerich/Hamada creative team made it clear they had moved on from anything 'Snyderverse' related. Which is why even with Cavill appearing in Black Adam it came down to the last month of shooting that Dwayne Johnson finally got around them for approval. And even when Hamada showed up at the Heard/Depp trial and was asked if he had spoken about DC movies with Zack Snyder, Hamada laughed it off and made it clear he doesn't speak with Snyder. But as if the attorney had meant he needed to consult with him on DC movies.

So what WB exec was assuming they were playing to "Snyderverse fans" as I bet they weren't? Other than near the end The Flash director said he hoped Snyder watched the film as he may appreciate it.

The Emmerich/Hamada team decided to one-up Heard by image.jpeg.ae2d215f90bf966cadc313180ef224de.jpeg  on the pillows of movie fans everywhere instead of just on Depp's pillow.

They were truly incompetent in their short stints with the DCEU.

Well, Hideo (Metal Gear game creator) didn't Captain Marvel this one.

I finally watched "The Flash." I am a big fan of Grant Gustin's version of the drama. I was hoping to see more of the STAR Labs crew, but I also enjoyed this film, which is also in the Justice League vein. Speaking of The Flash, the multiverse, like continuity in video games, destroys old-school storytelling. However, that is what they have done well with the plot. It's not a stand-alone film or a prequel, but a brilliant multiverse device for new fans from Justice League and old DC fans from the past. A triumph of planning and casting. 

D116Hr1WoAEAmHz.thumb.jpg.b677c7dd2da404fff2f68a2a9dead60f.jpg

Edited by Bosco685

So, question to the Box Office experts here:

When you get a film with a reported $290M take, that's gross receipts correct? And movie theaters make 40% of the ticket sale (I just Googled that, I don't know for sure). And it seems the budget for producing the film is $200M. So:

After estimated $290M in tickets, less 40% to theaters is $174M against $200M budget, right?

Is the $200M budget spread across each of the studios involved? (WB, DC, Double Dream, and the Disco Factory) and distribution costs of Warner Brothers Pictures - with each one getting a percentage of the take.

If the studios were expecting this to be a big payday and it's the opposite, I can see how it really puts everyone into a tailspin, especially with all the other companies involved.

On 7/2/2023 at 9:30 AM, Dr. Balls said:

When you get a film with a reported $290M take, that's gross receipts correct? And movie theaters make 40% of the ticket sale (I just Googled that, I don't know for sure). And it seems the budget for producing the film is $200M.

If the studios were expecting this to be a big payday and it's the opposite, I can see how it really puts everyone into a tailspin, especially with all the other companies involved.

But u forgot to factor in the int'l ad budget which may be an extra $175M to $200M. Now 'The Flash' has been pulled from movie theaters b4 the 4th of July and Canada Day (July 1) long weekend potential viewership.

On 7/2/2023 at 12:30 PM, Dr. Balls said:

When you get a film with a reported $290M take, that's gross receipts correct? And movie theaters make 40% of the ticket sale (I just Googled that, I don't know for sure). And it seems the budget for producing the film is $200M. So:

After estimated $290M in tickets, less 40% to theaters is $174M against $200M budget, right?

Is the $200M budget spread across each of the studios involved? (WB, DC, Double Dream, and the Disco Factory) and distribution costs of Warner Brothers Pictures - with each one getting a percentage of the take.

1. Ok the full what the studios get is a bit more complex but something like this is close.  For domestic (USA and Canada) they studio will get about 55% of the box office, for general international it is around 43%, for China it is around 25%. So the return to the studio will float from around 45% to 50% technically depending on the domestic to international ratio. 

2. The budgets will get are general total budgets, they generally do not separate between the different players making the films.  Often reshoots, and re-edits etc may not be included in that budget which is generally viewed as what was originally allocated.

3. Production budgets do not include marketing, advertising, or promotion.  That will vary widely between film, but on tentpole type stuff is generally between $100 to $150 million.

In your Flash example, the studios total reported cost for the film is about $350 million (200 production + 150 marketing), when you include production and promotion, but may be even higher given the number of reshoots and other post production done on this film. So the $350 number is the best we have, but likely close. So a very quick estimate is the studio will get 50% of the box office (rough average of domestic/international/China) against the total spend of an estimated $350 million. So 300/2 - 350 = -200, so with these estimates the film is on pace to lose $200 million.

Edited by drotto

On 7/2/2023 at 11:06 AM, drotto said:

so with these estimates the film is on pace to lose $200 million.

Cool - thanks for the rundown on that. I imagine that kind of loss - on top of other losses or less-than-steller profits - puts a real hamper on the genre in terms of the studios banking money on it.

I mean, the superhero genre has netted everyone a lot of money - there doesn't seem to be another bankable "style" of film out there that will pull big numbers like superheros have (like action movies of the 80's and disaster movies of the 90's).

With superhero stories being plentiful (and already storyboarded) - I wonder if they will continue to re-work them to try and squeeze more money or if they view it as 'abandon ship' time (hopefully not, I love my superhero flicks).