• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FLASH starring Ezra Miller 2022
10 10

2,182 posts in this topic

On 7/2/2023 at 1:06 PM, drotto said:

1. Ok the full what the studios get is a bit more complex but something like this is close.  For domestic (USA and Canada) they studio will get about 55% of the box office, for general international it is around 43%, for China it is around 25%. So the return to the studio will float from around 45% to 50% technically depending on the domestic to international ratio. 

2. The budgets will get are general total budgets, they generally do not separate between the different players making the films.  Often reshoots, and re-edits etc may not be included in that budget which is generally viewed as what was originally allocated.

3. Production budgets do not include marketing, advertising, or promotion.  That will vary widely between film, but on tentpole type stuff is generally between $100 to $150 million.

In your Flash example, the studios total reported cost for the film is about $350 million (200 production + 150 marketing), when you include production and promotion, but may be even higher given the number of reshoots and other post production done on this film. So the $350 number is the best we have, but likely close. So a very quick estimate is the studio will get 50% of the box office (rough average of domestic/international/China) against the total spend of an estimated $350 million. So 300/2 - 350 = -200, so with these estimates the film is on pace to lose $200 million.

That's the general consensus even from the industry experts (who of course pale in comparison to our chithouse professionals).

(:

On 7/2/2023 at 1:57 PM, Dr. Balls said:

With superhero stories being plentiful (and already storyboarded) - I wonder if they will continue to re-work them to try and squeeze more money or if they view it as 'abandon ship' time (hopefully not, I love my superhero flicks).

With the billions that have been made over the decades? No way will studios abandon the genre. They'll just have to work through their heads what really works for the general audience.

My son wanted to catch a movie last Wednesday night and he decided that we should go to this instead of Transformers since Transformers has sucked since Dark of the Moon as far as he is concerned (I tend to agree with him on that). There were a whopping six of us in the theatre for a 7 pm showing. Since Bambi taught us that if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all, then my only comment on the film is this: it is slightly better than the disaster that Ant-Man 3 is.

And, it was not the worst movie I saw this week. That honor goes to The Northman, which I foolishly wasted 2.5 hours on that I will never get back.

Edited by kimik

On 7/3/2023 at 4:51 AM, kimik said:

My son wanted to catch a movie last Wednesday night and he decided that we should go to this instead of Transformers since Transformers has sucked since Dark of the Moon as far as he is concerned (I tend to agree with him on that). There were a whopping six of us in the theatre for a 7 pm showing. Since Bambi taught us that if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all, then my only comment on the film is this: it is slightly better than the disaster that Ant-Man 3 is.

And, it was not the worst movie I saw this week. That honor goes to The Northman, which I foolishly wasted 2.5 hours on that I will never get back.

Honestly, if you get a chance, give Bumblebee a watch, it's pretty good. I also enjoyed Rise Of The Beasts, so it may be worth giving that one a watch. It's not like the Bayhem days, there's a story now and you can tell them apart. 

But Bumblebee is just a legitimately good film. So check that out next time you guys are bored. 

On 7/2/2023 at 6:26 PM, Cat said:

Honestly, if you get a chance, give Bumblebee a watch, it's pretty good. I also enjoyed Rise Of The Beasts, so it may be worth giving that one a watch. It's not like the Bayhem days, there's a story now and you can tell them apart. 

But Bumblebee is just a legitimately good film. So check that out next time you guys are bored. 

I watched Bumblebee and it was meh . It was a watch once and done with it for me. I liked the first three Bayhem films as they kind of built from one to the next and had plenty of explosions/action as expected. Age of Extinction was a drop off big time, and then the Last Knight was a mess. I will wait for Beasts to come out for free on streaming in a couple of weeks like I should have done with The Flash.

On 7/3/2023 at 12:12 PM, kimik said:

I watched Bumblebee and it was meh . It was a watch once and done with it for me. I liked the first three Bayhem films as they kind of built from one to the next and had plenty of explosions/action as expected. Age of Extinction was a drop off big time, and then the Last Knight was a mess. I will wait for Beasts to come out for free on streaming in a couple of weeks like I should have done with The Flash.

Oh, surprised you didn't like it, it got really good reviews, and I personally loved it, even putting aside my love of all things Transformers (except movies 2, 4, and 5). I thought Haillee Steinfeld did a really good job, and I really enjoyed her character Charlie. I'd say she's my favourite human so far, followed fairly closely by Noah from ROTB. 

On 7/2/2023 at 2:51 PM, kimik said:

My girlfriend and I both didn't like the Northman. People we talked to acted like we were crazy for not liking it.

On 7/3/2023 at 9:34 AM, thegiftedone45 said:

My girlfriend and I both didn't like the Northman. People we talked to acted like we were crazy for not liking it.

It was a poor attempt at yet another Hamlet, err Amleth, film. I was expecting much more given the cast. It was utter sh ite.

Edited by kimik

I took my family to see Flash on the 4th of July. Between Discount Tuesday and accumulated AMC points, I paid $2 a ticket.

We had a fun time watching it. I wouldn’t make a special trip to theater to see it. But, if you were going to the movies anyway, it’s not a bad choice.

That being said, since it will be available for streaming (PPV) on July 18th, it might be tough to see it in the theaters as Mission Impossible will likely take most of its screens on Wednesday 

On 7/7/2023 at 5:34 PM, fastballspecial said:

As a normal comic book fan that enjoys the movies will enjoy it? 
I am not looking to nitpick about origins or CGI. Is it worth seeing

I enjoyed 'The Flash' since I liked Superman: Man of Steel movie with Zod. Not sure how few movie screens are left showing The Flash. Seems to lose Warner Bros. Studios $200 mil even after $150 mil advertising budget.

On 7/7/2023 at 8:34 PM, fastballspecial said:

I am not looking to nitpick about origins or CGI. Is it worth seeing or should
I wait for to view it at home.

It's fine having a theater experience with this one. Especially as the Speed Force scenes take place.

Wish they had pushed the envelope with the CGI concerning some of the appearances. But it is still fun nonetheless.

On 7/8/2023 at 11:05 AM, Bosco685 said:

It's fine having a theater experience with this one. Especially as the Speed Force scenes take place.

Wish they had pushed the envelope with the CGI concerning some of the appearances. But it is still fun nonetheless.

So I watched it tonight. I think there was basically two films here. The first 2/3 I thought was a pretty good film. 
Last 1/3 and the last 10 minutes were a disaster. Some of those Easter Eggs Cameos at the end were great while one specific one that they showed for well over a couple of minutes and multiple times had no business at all being in film. While the other cameos were much shorter and deserved more time. I can see why people were mad about this film. 

On 7/8/2023 at 11:57 PM, fastballspecial said:

So I watched it tonight. I think there was basically two films here. The first 2/3 I thought was a pretty good film. 
Last 1/3 and the last 10 minutes were a disaster. Some of those Easter Eggs Cameos at the end were great while one specific one that they showed for well over a couple of minutes and multiple times had no business at all being in film. While the other cameos were much shorter and deserved more time. I can see why people were mad about this film. 

I don't know why anyone would be mad about the film. It is on par with most of the post-Endgame Marvel films and better than some like Shang-Chi and Ant-Man 3. Basically, a meh quality super-hero film like all studios have been producing post-covid.

According to a The Hollywood Reporter, Cavill's character was originally set to pop up as a part of the courthouse steps sequence seen at the end of the Ezra Miller-led film. 

This ending was actually shot back in September and would have seen Cavill appear alongside Sasha Calle's Supergirl, Gal Gadot's Wonder Woman, and Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne/Batman, setting up the character for a new standalone Superman film. 

Instead, Warner Bros. opted to use a different version of the scene, including the shocking return of George Clooney's Batman.

Then Cavill's Kal-El would have likely been back after this standalone Superman sequel in Justice League 2, a project was in the early stages of development. 

Apparently, Micheal De Luca and Pamela Abby (the current leadership team at Warner Bros. Pictures wanted one more Justice League movie with the Zack Snyder-era DC actors (via The Hollywood Reporter). 

This movie was reportedly going to be the franchise's take on the iconic Crisis on Infinite Earths comic storyline, with "the door open" for actors who were seemingly done with the franchise like Ben Affleck as Batman to return for the Multiversal epic. 

On 7/7/2023 at 8:34 PM, fastballspecial said:

I am not looking to nitpick about origins or CGI. Is it worth seeing or should
I wait for to view it at home.

There's a lot to like. I suggest seeing it for some of the visual spectacle, OST (original soundtrack), and the story is fairly strong.