• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE BATMAN starring Robert Pattinson (2022)
13 13

3,099 posts in this topic

On 2/28/2022 at 5:47 PM, Bosco685 said:

The more toxic Snyder fans were posting that Robert Pattinson and Zoe Karvirtz got carried away while filming and had sex on the Batmobile so WB was working to fire Matt Reeves for allowing this as he filmed on. Talk about an a-hole move posting garbage like that.

I hope this is included as a deleted scene on the Blu-ray.

On 2/28/2022 at 4:54 PM, Larryw7 said:

On sites like Superhero Hype, it seems like there's a rivalry between Snyder fans and other fans. I don't get it. I like Burton, I like Nolan, I like Snyder, and I'll probably like this. The comics are full of different creators with their own vision, why can't the movies have that same variety? 

The thing about Snyder is that 2 forms of extreme fanaticism formed around him. For what reason? I have no clue. The 2 extremists are those who are "Snyder cultists", but they were born from the "Snyder haters". I suspect that evergreen DC fans hated Snyder for not recreating Watchmen 1:1 faithfully, and then he directed Man of Steel which just happened to be an origin story without the same camp of Reeve/Routh.

If you know the history of WB's involvement with Watchmen, MoS, BvS, and JL... I can't see why Snyder was receiving hate in the first place. Dude literally had to put material from the graphic novel back into the Watchmen movie. WB hired Nolan and Goyer to create a grounded Superman. BvS was a decade-old idea that was much darker than pre-Goyer and pre-Terrio, and I think that many people know about Josstice League...

All of that being said, there are still blind haters and then the Snyder fanatics. Here we are, you and I and most of the sub-forum, just trying to look at these things from an unbiased perspective.

In this movie ,  Bats is like 2 yrs into his role wearing the cape and cowl. Think the Nolan movies are vastly different in that this is a film noir type detective movie. Definitely the comparisons would  be on who plays Batman better. I expect Pattinson to play an even more sullen Bruce Wayne..Nolan had the previous batman  movies as reference when making his movies. Reeves had the privilege of Nolan's version to know exactly what he needed to do to portray a different aspect of the Batman sstory. Think this is really going to satisfy the cerebral Batman fan.

On 3/1/2022 at 5:59 AM, Larryw7 said:
On 2/28/2022 at 5:47 PM, Bosco685 said:

The more toxic Snyder fans were posting that Robert Pattinson and Zoe Karvirtz got carried away while filming and had sex on the Batmobile so WB was working to fire Matt Reeves for allowing this as he filmed on. Talk about an a-hole move posting garbage like that.

I hope this is included as a deleted scene on the Blu-ray.

I'm going to be disappointed if it didn't make it into the theatrical cut.  :taptaptap:

Review-wise this is settling in right around the level of critical praise Batman Begins received.  That's good company to be in.  :cloud9:

I agreed with critical assessment of Begins back in 2005 (7.7 / 10.0 average Rotten Tomatoes rating, 84% Tomatometer) because I wasn't as big a fan of the second half of the film as the first half.  I flipped my opinion about the second half of Begins about a year before Dark Knight was released after five or so viewings in 2006 and 2007 and thought Begins was severely underrated and that the second half was absolutely excellent.  The origin story is superb, but the attack by Ra's on Gotham while enjoyable isn't at the same level.  Iron Man mostly parallels this--superb origin first half, less-spectacular second half as each hero faces their first villain, but comparatively the second half of Begins is FAR superior to the second half of Iron Man and Stark's fight against Stane and Iron Monger.  I still rate Begins as the third-best superhero film made to date, although if you overwrote the quality of the first half of the film with that of the second half it almost certainly wouldn't crack the top 20.

We're hearing what's working against this film that was easy to guess before the reviews came out--it's too long at three hours.  Despite now loving the second half of Begins which is 2 hours 20 minutes I still think there's a better version of that film that's closer to 2 hours that reduces the amount of content in the second half.  Reviewers are currently saying the middle of this new film has some fat to trim, but we'll see.

Edited by fantastic_four

On 3/1/2022 at 10:29 AM, Broke as a Joke said:

Looking forward to watching this.  Is this going to be on HBO Max on release day?

87% on RT, 73% with top critics.  Should be decent.

100% theatrical release

Staying away from any more reviews at this point.  Looking forward to seeing it myself and also looking forward to hearing reviews from boardies as opposed to "laymen".   This bronze-age nerd is most looking forward to seeing Neal Adam's and Denny O'Neill's names on screen.  That alone makes it a must-see for me.  

On 3/1/2022 at 11:26 AM, Bosco685 said:

With extra grumble-grumble servings?

:baiting:

It depends on how much of my time is wasted. I already don't like the Bat-symbol, Riddler's costume, and Zoe Kravitz. If those are the only things that I end up disliking by Monday, then it'll be a 4+/5.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

This is looking better and the reviews are promising. 

There's only one thing that will really kill the movie for me: making Thomas and Martha Wayne bad people. There's been some rumors that this is the case and I'm praying it's not true.

On 3/1/2022 at 11:31 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It depends on how much of my time is wasted. I already don't like the Bat-symbol, Riddler's costume, and Zoe Kravitz. If those are the only things that I end up disliking by Monday, then it'll be a 4+/5.

:popcorn: