• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

May Heritage Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction

377 posts in this topic

Richie Rich 1 9.6 at close to 40K :o

Magic Woo's 9.6 copy (CBCS) with much better PQ sold last year for under 20K

This is lower tier grading company.....Majic made a BIG $$ mistake grading with steve.

Hard to say. His grades may have been lower from CGC.

lower or more accurate (shrug)

I guess it's true what people say: "De gustibus non est disputandum."

If I had $40K to spend on a comic book, Richie Rich #1 would not be the first book on my list or even the hundredth—or even the thousandth. Since it isn't the first appearance of Richie Rich, I really don't get why it would be a five-figure book or even a four figure book. (shrug)

Edit: Actually, I can see four figures for a no. 1 issue in 9.6, but $20—$40K??????

I see these things and just think how undervalued other books seem by comparison...

+1

I've also never understood why the Harvey books in general, not just Richie Rich, have commanded such high dollars in the marketplace.

Especially considering that Geppi brought out the Harvey Warehouse with multiple high grade file sets for most of the Harvey runs. Not sure if these file runs went all the way back to the 1950's, but there sure seem to be a lot of them as Diamond spent years trying to sell them. Especially the runs from the 1960's.

I guess there must be quite a few early Harvey collectors out there with deep pockets. (shrug)

This is lower tier grading company.....Majic made a BIG $$ mistake grading with steve.

Hard to say. His grades may have been lower from CGC.

I think they almost certainly would have been. I also think the timing worked out very well for him because that HA auction took place before it had become evident that CBCS was overgrading. So he got the higher grades without the lower prices that he might have had to settle for once CBCS's approach to grading had become more widely understood.

My take, at any rate.

Most definitely not Magik's take on the grading situation.

I have spoken to him quite a few times, both before and after the auction, and he states emphatically that the grading with the other company is much tougher and much more consistent. This is one of the prime reasons why he did not go with CGC because he felt CGC's grading was much looser and the books would not have been graded properly. He had complete confidence in Borock's experience as compared to the newbies at CGC at the time.

It should be pointed out that Magik's books were all graded well over a year ago and possibly even as far back as late 2014 or very early 2015 at the latest. So, there might be some truth in Magik's thinking since I believe most board members complaints prior to last summer were how loosey goosey CGC's grading was at the time. This was before the apparent return of Haspel (or was it Leitch?) when all of a sudden, all of the grading tightened up significantly.

My personal thinking at the time was that this might be the start of a grading war in order to knock out the competition before their foothold in the marketplace got too strong. Most of the board members said no and that it was just CGC going through their typical grading cycles from tight grading to loose grading and now back to tight grading again, which was par for the course for them. (shrug)

I have spoken to him quite a few times, both before and after the auction, and he states emphatically that the grading with the other company is much tougher and much more consistent.

If so, he may literally be the only person who thinks this. lol

I have spoken to him quite a few times, both before and after the auction, and he states emphatically that the grading with the other company is much tougher and much more consistent.

Certainly not at higher grades. The market has shown that it won`t pay the same kind of premium for a 9.6 CBCS book as for a 9.6 CGC.

The CBCS 9.6 JIM 83 in a recent Heritage auction is a good example. If that had been a CGC 9.6, it would`ve been high 6 figures.

Certainly not at higher grades. The market has shown that it won`t pay the same kind of premium for a 9.6 CBCS book as for a 9.6 CGC.

The CBCS 9.6 JIM 83 in a recent Heritage auction is a good example. If that had been a CGC 9.6, it would`ve been high 6 figures.

I may be in the minority's here but I think they are looser across all grades. Enough in my opinion that I now don't even look at CBCS graded stuff any more.

I may be in the minority's here but I think they are looser across all grades. Enough in my opinion that I now don't even look at CBCS graded stuff any more.

The one thing I will say is that they are consistently looser than CGC which gives me a fair expectation of what the book will look like. CGC on the other hand seems to have wide fluctuations so that if I'm looking at an 8.5 book I don't know if it's going to look more like a 7.0 or 9.2. With CBCS, if it's a 9.0, I expect an 8.0-8.5. It's basically the same as when Steve and West were at CGC.

That's been my experience in resubmitting their books to CGC.

This company has gone downhill with its poor grading .. Trying to take business away with a higher grade... I have lost respect for them and their current business plan, they had a chance at merging with cgc down the road... What a shame... Cgc has nothing to worry about they are in it for the short run and if I ended any of Stevens graded books I would submit them to cgc for regrade before the situation gets worse ...what a joke... They could of been a contender

The CBCS grades in general are disappointing, especially the modern/bronze grades where defects just scream out at you but then you look at the corner and see 9.6. :( This auction has a lot of neat stuff but I'm having a tough time finding one book that is a must have. I'm kinda bummed out about this one.

The CBCS grades in general are disappointing, especially the modern/bronze grades where defects just scream out at you but then you look at the corner and see 9.6. :( This auction has a lot of neat stuff but I'm having a tough time finding one book that is a must have. I'm kinda bummed out about this one.

Look at the next HA auction and compare the Batman 62 the is an 8.5 to the Batman 84 that is an 8.0. Do these two books look like they are 0.5 apart? The 8.0 is OW/W but looking at the edge tanning and the chip on the top right corner and I would be worried about the cover being brittle.

Look at the next HA auction and compare the Batman 62 the is an 8.5 to the Batman 84 that is an 8.0. Do these two books look like they are 0.5 apart? The 8.0 is OW/W but looking at the edge tanning and the chip on the top right corner and I would be worried about the cover being brittle.

Links? I can't seem to find either book. hm

Batman 84 :sick::sick::sick:

Batman 62

That book sold for at least a 50% discount to a CGC 9.6.

Batman 62

The crumpled corner looks terrible especially with what appears to be heavy tanning. :eek: Those guys are generally good people and have built up years of credibility in this hobby but IMO they are close to flushing all that down the toilet with this shoddy approach to grading. They have moved over to the dark side.

^^

Batman 62

The crumpled corner looks terrible especially with what appears to be heavy tanning. :eek: Those guys are generally good people and have built up years of credibility in this hobby but IMO they are close to flushing all that down the toilet with this shoddy approach to grading. They have moved over to the dark side.

I hate to agree, but I do. :sorry: