• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Capullo selling his Batman artwork online
1 1

296 posts in this topic

So basically, I'd have to sell my entire collection to get the cover to #50. Yeah, that sounds about right.

yeah, I was about to say something similar ( e.g. "lets see.. keep my current collection or sell it off to buy a cover"). I held off on posting because my current collection can probably buy a few covers (all thanks to my lack of self control and an understanding wife)

Malvin

So basically, I'd have to sell my entire collection to get the cover to #50. Yeah, that sounds about right.

He's not off by much really....slide the decimal to the left one spot and all is well.

13cacq.jpg

I mean, my collection would never be mistaken for Dave Mandel's or Joe Le's or anything, but there are a couple pieces I have I wouldn't even trade straight up for that cover.

Well, this ties into a different collecting mentality that someone else told me (he posts here regularly too). Assuming you aren't going to just cash out and sell, would you trade your entire collection for someone else's entire collection? My answer is no. We collect what we love and while there are many nicer pieces out there, I have many pieces that I am not willing to part with.

Malvin

Got some new prices, should anyone here be interested. You can contact Danny Miki should something appeal to you.

As for me,

Tricko-meme-poker-face-panske.jpg

so....I got contacted by a collector regarding one of my Spawn covers, they put forward an offer for it, but it was half what I paid for it! I put him in touch with Spencer Beck and told him that he sold Danny Mikis Spawn stuff etc

He did this, for those that have seen it you know the Spawn covers etc on The Artists Choice, it says minimum 8K offers considered.

So the guys says how about 8K and apparently the response was that Greg had contacted Danny and Spencer and said that he wanted the prices to be more in line with his pricing! So....Spencer said that they would not even consider 8K but might consider 3x that.

Firstly this is a shame since Danny was happy to sell his pieces (admittedly for an exorbitant price to me - it was a piece he did not want to sell, so yes it hurt); but also this seems like Price Fixing. Not that I know what price fixing is in a legal definition but this seems dubious at best.

anyway, here is one of my Capullo/Miki Spawn covers that I am delighted I have and will not be going anywhere! You have to admit these pieces are nuts

SPAWN85_zps10b15061.jpg

I mean, my collection would never be mistaken for Dave Mandel's or Joe Le's or anything, but there are a couple pieces I have I wouldn't even trade straight up for that cover.

Well, this ties into a different collecting mentality that someone else told me (he posts here regularly too). Assuming you aren't going to just cash out and sell, would you trade your entire collection for someone else's entire collection? My answer is no. We collect what we love and while there are many nicer pieces out there, I have many pieces that I am not willing to part with.

Malvin

hm

Haven't collected new books since 1995 so I don't know what artists since then are considered hot or not. He's probably not lying when he basically says he's pricing things at silly $ due to emotional attachment.

His prices may turn many off but something else may play a factor here- if this guy has rabid fans and none of his art is getting out, some of those fans may get hungry/desperate enough to land this guy a couple big scores.

That kinda happened to me when I had a spell of about 6 years where I basically was obsessed with OA 24/7. My focus was on Valentino's GOTG and for the life of me for a couple years I couldn't get my hands on a cover. It was driving me nuts and my competitive nature kicked in. Then I found one cover and that turned into I believe nine, lol.

Of course, prices for those are a fraction of what this artist wants for his stuff, but I think the principal is the same.

I get the "emotional attachment = super high price" thing. I do.

I just think it's a stance and a strategy that's really more of a detriment to the artist's overall market than a benefit.

To me, this is a giant handicap on the artist's market value. Sure a few pieces may sell. Then what's going to happen to them? They'll probably stay with the people who bought them. For the ones that sell or trade subsequently, the initial asking price has guaranteed a price correction downward. For better or worse that sours the market on the prospect of the artist's pieces and their value, regardless of quality or aesthetics.

In the long run a few pieces may score him big. That's great. But it's short money, truly. It would behoove the artist and the artist's family to select the very best pieces, the ones that mean the most to them and retain them. Everything else should be made available, a bit at a time, at prices someone may pay, and let the artist's secondary market build itself up.

The next small batch offered for sale could be priced higher, depending on how quickly the first batch moved. It gives the artist's overall market the feeling of momentum amongst collectors. The next batch even more so. By this time the earlier waves are selling andt trading on the secondary market, providing more heat and positive market energy. Within 10 years there's a serious, self sustained, and solid market for the art.

In the long run it will make it easier for the artist to move pieces at high prices, for collectors to justify the prices they are paying, and for his family to eventually benefit from all his hard work. Collector's might actually feel stupid for NOT buying one of his pieces instead of BUYING one of his pieces.

Haven't collected new books since 1995 so I don't know what artists since then are considered hot or not. He's probably not lying when he basically says he's pricing things at silly $ due to emotional attachment.

His prices may turn many off but something else may play a factor here- if this guy has rabid fans and none of his art is getting out, some of those fans may get hungry/desperate enough to land this guy a couple big scores.

That kinda happened to me when I had a spell of about 6 years where I basically was obsessed with OA 24/7. My focus was on Valentino's GOTG and for the life of me for a couple years I couldn't get my hands on a cover. It was driving me nuts and my competitive nature kicked in. Then I found one cover and that turned into I believe nine, lol.

Of course, prices for those are a fraction of what this artist wants for his stuff, but I think the principal is the same.

I don't understand the part in bold. I understand that attitude if they are not for sale at all, but when the dollar amount is attached is baffles me. My best interpretation is: you cannot buy my feelings with a few dollars, but for a few dollars more you can? I have pride, but it is for sale at the right price? Like I said, I do not understand that stance. (And I do not believe it either. It is silly money but not life changing money, so claims of attachment don't cut it with me. It is marketing, not emotion.)

@comix4fun – Insightful post. Thank you.

so....I got contacted by a collector regarding one of my Spawn covers, they put forward an offer for it, but it was half what I paid for it! I put him in touch with Spencer Beck and told him that he sold Danny Mikis Spawn stuff etc

He did this, for those that have seen it you know the Spawn covers etc on The Artists Choice, it says minimum 8K offers considered.

So the guys says how about 8K and apparently the response was that Greg had contacted Danny and Spencer and said that he wanted the prices to be more in line with his pricing! So....Spencer said that they would not even consider 8K but might consider 3x that.

Firstly this is a shame since Danny was happy to sell his pieces (admittedly for an exorbitant price to me - it was a piece he did not want to sell, so yes it hurt); but also this seems like Price Fixing. Not that I know what price fixing is in a legal definition but this seems dubious at best.

anyway, here is one of my Capullo/Miki Spawn covers that I am delighted I have and will not be going anywhere! You have to admit these pieces are nuts

Firstly: Epic cover. Incredible.

As for up-pricing the inker's covers, which have been sitting there for years unpurchased...yeah, no words for that. But hey, I guess your cover is worth more now?

But I don't see the New 52 Batman #1 cover on his website? (shrug)

Jerome

It's $50K USD firm. However, I've also been told #1 and #5 will only sell as full issues, so I'm not sure if they'd sell the cover for that price any more. If so, it may have increased judging by other cover prices. I offered $30K USD some time ago and was ignored. (Don't judge me...I'd only do that for the #1 cover :P)

Edited by Mr. Machismo

Sean several artists have told me the same thing - when they don't want to sell something but continually get pestered by collectors...they just put a sky high price on it. This is not meant to encourage anybody to pay up, but rather to discourage even ten seconds conversation on the subject. It usually works. Though sometimes doing this invites longer conversations over how crazy an artist is to charge so much (and to their face) or asking them to "justify" it (as if!) So those occasions...it's a backfire :)

No idea if this is what Greg is about or not, just that it is a practice by some artists, all this to me as I was sitting behind the table with them, not necessarily what they would tell fans that walk up and browse the stack of sketchbooks, ya know?

I write all this to say...Capullo self-pricing and the Spencer/Miki story (as related anyway) is nutz imo lol

I don't understand the part in bold. I understand that attitude if they are not for sale at all, but when the dollar amount is attached is baffles me. My best interpretation is: you cannot buy my feelings with a few dollars, but for a few dollars more you can? I have pride, but it is for sale at the right price? Like I said, I do not understand that stance. (And I do not believe it either. It is silly money but not life changing money, so claims of attachment don't cut it with me. It is marketing, not emotion.)

Everybody has a price...

Sean several artists have told me the same thing - when they don't want to sell something but continually get pestered by collectors...they just put a sky high price on it. This is not meant to encourage anybody to pay up, but rather to discourage even ten seconds conversation on the subject. It usually works. Though sometimes doing this invites longer conversations over how crazy an artist is to charge so much (and to their face) or asking them to "justify" it (as if!) So those occasions...it's a backfire :)

No idea if this is what Greg is about or not, just that it is a practice by some artists, all this to me as I was sitting behind the table with them, not necessarily what they would tell fans that walk up and browse the stack of sketchbooks, ya know?

I write all this to say...Capullo self-pricing and the Spencer/Miki story (as related anyway) is nutz imo lol

What people do and what they SAY they do are usually quite different things.

Sean several artists have told me the same thing - when they don't want to sell something but continually get pestered by collectors...they just put a sky high price on it.

I think this is something Dave Sim did way back when. He did not want to

sell CEREBUS artwork but when pressed would set a price where he felt

comfortable letting a piece go.

Probably the best tactic to take as an artist if you're not hurting for cash and

really don't care about parting with the art.

Got some new prices, should anyone here be interested. You can contact Danny Miki should something appeal to you.

As for me,

Tricko-meme-poker-face-panske.jpg

SPAWN85_zps10b15061.jpg

Sweet cover Joe. I think it's one of the best by Capullo/miki. If I had to guess, your cover would list at 50-75k now.

Here's the thing, the covers up at the artists choice have been sitting for years at 6k and then at 8. if nobody was willing to pay that for those particular covers what makes anyone think they'll sell at 30?

I love Greg's art but this whole pricing situation is a straight up punking of his fans. I'm sorry danny has also had to price at those levels, it makes me less likely to buy anything from anyone involved at all now

Edited by Koa