• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

Nice looking copy for sure! Did you buy many other Oaklands from Vince when they were first offered, or did you pick them up out in the market afterwards?

Great, great, great book.

Shep

Thanks Shep! I purchased about 150 Oaklands directly from Vinny roughly between 1997 or 1998 to 2000. The prices seemed a little high almost a decade ago (I can't believe it's been THAT long) for the NMs and better, and that was pre-CGC too. If the same collection were to be introduced to the market now, prices realized would be quite scary to say the least. Although the Oakland Collection doesn't have the same prestige as other pedigrees, it is still an outstanding collection with a lot of tough, high grade DC's from traditionally tough genres (Horror, War, Romance, Westerns, Humor...).

Nice looking copy for sure! Did you buy many other Oaklands from Vince when they were first offered, or did you pick them up out in the market afterwards?

Shep

Thanks Shep! I purchased about 150 Oaklands directly from Vinny roughly between 1997 or 1998 to 2000. The prices seemed a little high almost a decade ago (I can't believe it's been THAT long) for the NMs and better, and that was pre-CGC too. If the same collection were to be introduced to the market now, prices realized would be quite scary to say the least. Although the Oakland Collection doesn't have the same prestige as other pedigrees, it is still an outstanding collection with a lot of tough, high grade DC's from traditionally tough genres (Horror, War, Romance, Westerns, Humor...).

I love my Oaklands! :headbang:

Shep

I love my Oaklands! :headbang:

Start posting 'em!! Fire up the scanner, let's go!! :headbang:

And one of my grails... top census, and it is coming in the casket with me. One of my favorite, top-5 books of all time.

Right on Shep! You've got the right attitude!

Bill

And one of my grails... top census, and it is coming in the casket with me. One of my favorite, top-5 books of all time.

oaaw218.jpg

Don't you dare put that thing in the casket with you! :o

At least let your boy bring it in and sell it to me.... :baiting:

:jokealert::shy:

Actually, it would be selfish of me to take this book into the sweet hereafter.

Which raises an interesting - if slightly off-topic - question. Does everyone have a succession plan for their comics, should any lightning bolts come their way?

Myself, the war books go to my son. One of my daughters likes comics, and she gets all my hero, Little Archies and other stuff.

So... everybody. Where do your books go when you go?

Not meaning to be grim,

Shep

My wife has instructions on which dealers to call. Its a short list. If they knew they were on it, they'd probably take a contract out on me --- I'd be worth more to 'em dead than alive.

Which raises an interesting - if slightly off-topic - question. Does everyone have a succession plan for their comics, should any lightning bolts come their way?

Myself, the war books go to my son. One of my daughters likes comics, and she gets all my hero, Little Archies and other stuff.

Not meaning to be grim,

Shep

That's an interesting question I never thought of before and I have

no kids and a small family. Since I'm so old I'd probably give instructions

to my better half for him to send the books to one of the young war

collectors on the boards if they wouldn't mind my mostly VF/NM or

lower collection of war books. :P

Either that or donate them to the Canadian Armed Forces and that

way each Soldier could have one book. :insane:

Not meaning to be grim,

Shep

That's an interesting question I never thought of before and I have

no kids and a small family. Since I'm so old I'd probably give instructions

to my better half for him to send the books to one of the young war

collectors on the boards if they wouldn't mind my mostly VF/NM or

lower collection of war books. :P

Either that or donate them to the Canadian Armed Forces and that

way each Soldier could have one book. :insane:

:foryou::whistle:

I have no succession plan in place as of now. I'm married with no children and now you've made me decide to get a will drawn up. Actually, long overdue...

I'm guessing that everything would go to my wife. She knows that my books have value, and I've told her before not to take them to the local comic store. She always threatens to do that if she's mad. She's only kidding though.....I hope. :eek: I'll probably have to grade everything and have them properly labeled.....sheesh, I guess I should do that anyway, no? I'll have to bag and board them too. doh! After all of that work, I'll leave instructions on perhaps getting in touch with Heritage. Dunno. (shrug) EBay is fine, but a lot of work for the young lady.

Grim, but we all go at some point. :(

Andy

It would be too much work for my wife to do anything other than sell all of my stuff in one pop ---- although there are a couple dozen big ticket items I've set aside for her to sell individually. She'll only get a fraction of guide from a dealer this way, but it will be quick and easy.

Hello "war-mongers!" (The great war collectors that keep this thread going on forever...)

- Very cheerful discussion.

I'm going to raise this question for discussion:

Was Marvel's G.I. Joe of the 1980s a Bronze Age War Book?

bronzejohnny

I read them off the shelf... and I really enjoyed the campiness of G.I. Joe.

But it was neither Bronze, nor war. It's a copper age hero book.

War heroes do not fight Cobra. Not a real war.

In my humble opinion.

Always nice to hear from Bronzejohnny... father of this thread!!

Shep