• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,137 posts in this topic

Hey Weird,

Sorry I never got back to you on the B&B book you were looking for. I dug mine out last night, and it's 9.0ish... best copy I've been able to find. Never seen a real beauty of it, which is strange for a mainstream title from the mid-70s. Even though it's not super high grade, I'm going to hang onto it.

I'll be a the Toronto convention at the end of August (if everything lines up). It's a very good back issue show, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for you on that book. With the passing of Jim Aparo, it will certainly become a tougher issue to find.

Shep

These 25-centers are my favorite books of the Bronze age - is it me, or are they tougher than stink to find in grade?

Got this from Ted at Superworld a couple of years back.

Raw OAAW #245 in 9.2

OAAW245.jpg

One of Heath's finest moments on this title. What is it about these covers that just kick [embarrasing lack of self control]? Fans run hot and cold on Kubert, but PLEASE. This cover is just out of hand.

Raw GIC #142 in 8.5

GIC142.jpg

Finally, a rarely acknowledged gem from this era. And another [embarrasing lack of self control]-kicking Kubert tour-de-force cover. By this time, Heath had moved on and Sam Glanzman had begun his long, steady run on the Haunted Tank Feature. Haunted Tank freaks will note that this is the cannibalized tank (see GIC #150) that Jeb Stuart commanded between his Stuart and Sherman rides.

Raw GIC #167. Looks like a 9.4 to me. There's a light transfer stain on the back that may knock it down. Not that it's ever going in a slab.

GIC167.jpg

I'm not a computer whiz and it took me a while to figure it out. Maybe somebody else here can explain it. But to start you need to attach a file to a post. When writing a new entry and then hit the "continue" tab, before submitting there will be a line under your entry asking you if you want to attach a file. That is where it starts.

Fellas,

I'd like to get these up larger... say twice as big. When I scan , these are about 6 inches wide. But when they go to photobucket, they seem to resize down to the size you're seeing.

Should I be using another picture-hosting service? I'm doing the freebee thing on photobucket. If there's another freezerve or inexpensive one out there that doesn't resize, I'd love the tip.

Thanks

Shep

What resolution are your scans? If they're 300 dpi, then try to resize the scan down to 2 inches wide or so. Hopefully, that'll get you below the Photobucket 250k limit. BassGMan's suggestion is good, although then limit as an attachment is 150k.

I pay the $20 a year for the photobucket premium service, and that way, the scans aren't resized. I save the scans with photoshop at a quality of 8, and they're often about 350k.

Here's a sample:

aa19.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jeffrey,

That's a nice B&B - killer cover.

I took your advice and just broke down and paid photobucket, and voila.... nice big scans. So all the ones I've posted over the past couple of days are updated (though the whites on a couple of scans appear more yellow than they are on the actual books.)

Over the next few days I'm going to try and pull what appears to be a Bronze Age habit for DC - Orange covers!!! There were some just smokin' ones. And they tend to fade, so seeing them in grade is becoming a rarity.

Thanks again for the tip. Now I'm rocking.

Shep

Hey Weird,

Sorry I never got back to you on the B&B book you were looking for. I dug mine out last night, and it's 9.0ish... best copy I've been able to find. Never seen a real beauty of it, which is strange for a mainstream title from the mid-70s. Even though it's not super high grade, I'm going to hang onto it.

I'll be a the Toronto convention at the end of August (if everything lines up). It's a very good back issue show, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for you on that book. With the passing of Jim Aparo, it will certainly become a tougher issue to find.

Shep

Thanks for the info. I wasn't looking to get your book, just have been wondering about that issue. I have seen most of the other DC war character crossovers in B&B in decent grade,. just never that one in NM. Not at shows or on the 'net. Oh well, I am sure I will run into one someday. It is an awesome cover.