• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

My list is a bit unconventional and includes some covers which may not get the love of other Kubert covers. However, these are my favorites; in no particular order.

There is something about the way Kubert drew skulls. I can't quite put my finger on it but he really was a master at it. I'd give my left nut (maybe both of them) to own the OA. This may be my favorite WWT cover

WWT 42

Weird_War_Tales_Vol_1_42.jpg

A few years ago I purchased a very high grade copy of this book and had plans to get it signed by the Master. Alas, it wasn't to be. This is by far my favorite Enemy Ace cover. Just love the composition. The grey tone isn't too shabby either. :)

DC Special 26

DC_Special_Vol_1_26.jpg

I have a personal connection to this book. It was the late 70s and my dad took me to my first comic con that just happened to be occurring in the town I was living in at the time, New Britain, CT.

At about 10 years old, I was blown away by what I saw. I had nver seen so many comic books in one place. My dad ended up buying for me several DC war comics and a copy of SSWS 159 was one of them. Just love how Joe laid this one out. Also love the look on the face of the Unknown Soldier. Someday, I will find a high grade copy of this book

SSWS 159

Star-Spangled_War_Stories_Vol_1_159.jpg

I can't remember if I had a copy of this one first or if my intro to it was in the Fireside, America at War trade. Whichever it was, the image of the scarred face of the soldier is burned into my brain for all time. This cover, like his various "skull" covers makes me wish he had done more horror covers in the bronze age. Can you imagine seeing Kubert covers on Witching Hour and House of Mystery? I sure can.

SSWS 183

Star-Spangled_War_Stories_Vol_1_183.jpg

An offbeat choice to be sure; maybe it’s the trademark Kubert skulls. Maybe it’s the idea of skeletal Indians riding winged horses into battle in space. What’s not to love?

WWT 78

17610-2507-19691-1-weird-war-tales_super.jpg

The partial greytone/washtone and the mystical theme does it for me on this one. One of my favorite OAAW covers.

OAAW 236

Our_Army_at_War_Vol_1_236.jpg

(worship) to the view on this cover.

OAAW 237

Our_Army_at_War_Vol_1_237.jpg

Another hallmark of Kubert’s war covers, the damned if you do, damned if you don’t cover. lol Given the choices, I’ll take being blown up by the mine, thank you very much. I’ve always loved the killer red/orange sky color on this cover.

SSWS 180

Star-Spangled_War_Stories_Vol_1_180.jpg

This one plays into my interest in medieval style fantasy literature. Love the image of the arm holding the sword with the light streaming down through the trees. Also takes place in my favorite Haunted Tank era. I wish they had never destroyed the patchwork HT :(

GIC 151

G.I._Combat_151.jpg

Another off beat choice. Two things do it for me in this cover. I love all the colors. (especially the brown and orange) They work extremely well together. Also, the center image of the HT with guns blazing silhouetted by the General is pure awesomeness

GIC 207

GI_Combat_Vol_1_207.jpg

There you have it. My ten choices. Fun list to put together

OK, Shep and Jeffro have thrown up some great covers.

I dug around in my boxes and pulled out my Top Ten Bronze Age Kubert Covers (for now)...

First up, I like the color red...

GIC140_zps8cfd7c88.jpg

I like Kubert covers that put you in the action. Here, you're with the Nazi soldiers lining up Easy Co. in their sights...

OAAW241_zps1b79121f.jpg

I enjoy the way Kubert plays with the logo placement in this series of OFF books.

OFF131_zpsfed390c3.jpg

Kubert's Pooch looks like a little Grandenetti homage to me.

OFF132_zps39a4b8ea.jpg

Love the creepy fortune teller, the basket of cobras, the logo being scratched in the dirt.

OFF133_zps7dc37079.jpg

Again, Kubert puts you in the action. You're hanging in the tree with the dead and dying paratroopers.

Blitz5_zps34ab52c8.jpg

My first war book. :cloud9:

SSWS152_zpsb5860075.jpg

I dig this pulpy cover. Is there anything better than two doubles, one good, one evil, fighting over a giant vat of molten steel while trigger-happy Nazi's look on?

SSWS178_zps0375796e.jpg

I think this is the best cover of the Unknown Soldier run. You can feel the tension as he pulls the pin from the grenade...

US245_zps5a92547d.jpg

Not alot of action on this one, but a really solid cover with a skull... hm

GIC280_zps7e8a7126.jpg

Honorable Mention -- I know it's not a war cover, but I can't resist posting this one...

THWK134.jpg

That's all, folks!

Some awesome top ten lists here! :applause: I've seen a couple covers for the very first time here! (worship) I agree, it would have been awesome to see more Kubert horror art and covers. You fellas did a great job with your comments on each cover too! Kudos to you all. :foryou:

I can't remember if I had a copy of this one first or if my intro to it was in the Fireside, America at War trade. Whichever it was, the image of the scarred face of the soldier is burned into my brain for all time. This cover, like his various "skull" covers makes me wish he had done more horror covers in the bronze age. Can you imagine seeing Kubert covers on Witching Hour and House of Mystery? I sure can.

SSWS 183

Star-Spangled_War_Stories_Vol_1_183.jpg

What a great cover! All the Star Spangled War Stories from this era that have the Unknown Soldier with his scarred face exposed on the cover are terrific!

Thanks for sharing these wonderful covers.

Edited by rjrjr

I dig this pulpy cover. Is there anything better than two doubles, one good, one evil, fighting over a giant vat of molten steel while trigger-happy Nazi's look on?

SSWS178_zps0375796e.jpg

This cover almost made my list and on another day might have. It's another comic that I have a personal attachment to. Had a copy as a kid.

I didn't read any Western, Horror or War comics as a kid but now they are my favorites. I don't have much of a collection but I try and pick up as many reader copies as possible. I love this thread, it gives me an idea of which comic I should read and I love looking at all the amazing covers.

So I got my copy of Dc Showcase Presents Weird War Tales in the mail today.

Looks good, a 600-page phonebook, reprinting the first 21 isssus.

I don't mind seeing the artwork in B&W, and there are some great artists represented here -- Kubert, Heath, Toth, Colon, DeZuniga, Nino, Redondo, and Talaoc (who have have a soft-spot for since I'm an Unknown Soldier fan).

The early 52 pagers have been reprinted in their entirety, nothing ommitted.

Collecting this series was always on my To Do list, but I think I'll be content with this collection for now.

I don't mind seeing the artwork in B&W, and there are some great artists represented here -- Kubert, Heath, Toth, Colon, DeZuniga, Nino, Redondo, and Talaoc (who have have a soft-spot for since I'm an Unknown Soldier fan).

Collecting this series was always on my To Do list, but I think I'll be content with this collection for now.

Thanks for posting this. (thumbs u I will look into getting a copy tomorrow.

Andy

I like these compilations but I wish they could find a way to do them in color while keeping them inexpensive.

Speaking of Severin, when I met him several years ago at the now defunct Words & Pictures museum in Northhampton Mass, I had him sign my copy of this book.

americaatwar.jpg

Bought for me by my parents and read to death back in the day.

I have it signed by Kubert, Severin, and Cuidera. Hopefully by Heath some day as well.

I just dug up this old post and it hit me that all three of the guys I had sign it are gone now. :( Still need the Heath sig on it.

Speaking of Severin, when I met him several years ago at the now defunct Words & Pictures museum in Northhampton Mass, I had him sign my copy of this book.

americaatwar.jpg

I have it signed by Kubert, Severin, and Cuidera. Hopefully by Heath some day as well.

I just dug up this old post and it hit me that all three of the guys I had sign it are gone now. :( Still need the Heath sig on it.

I know... it's been a tough year or two on the great ones...

Some good Kubert interviews on youtube btw...

Hi friends,

I've started a Joe Kubert Cover Survivor Series (nomination thread) in Comics General. Follow the link, if you're interested: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6377158#Post6377158

It'd be nice to get some examples of your favorite Kubert covers, not necessarily war books, but any cover he did. I know there are well over a thousand, so let's see some of your nominations for this contest. (thumbs u

Thanks in advance,

Andy

americaatwar.jpg

Jeff, if you want to send the book to me before Comicon this year, I'll be sure to have Heath sign it for you and send it back to you. I don't personally go in for SS stuff, but long ago before CGC was on the map, I had the old guys (even Chuck Cuidera for that inaugural GA Blackhawk story) sign THAT book because I think books lend themselves to that kind of thing. To my eternal chagrin, the only ones that DIDN'T sign it were Grandenetti and Kanigher. But I agree, you SHOULD have Heath sign it. He's 87 this year, if I'm not mistaken.

For those that are thinking about it, Comicon--with a bit of (ahem) arm-twisting--has committed to sponsor Heath this year. They'll put him in artists' alley and have a special Heath panel. . .maybe a war comics panel, too. This REALLY makes sense on their part. As anybody'll tell you, the old creators are few and far between these days.

Great thread fellers. It's such a pleasure to see these Kubert covers. I never get sick of 'em!

Edited by Comick1