• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

I recently bought a bunch of late Bronze/Early copper books from Andy, mostly dollar-size GIC and Sgt Rocks.

Wow, these are pretty wacky. Kanigher is still the writer (after almost 30 years) and I guess he just wrote whatever he felt like.

The tone veers from the amazingly pulpy, with robots, zombies, ninjas, mad scientists and the like (like this page from GIC 240)...

GICpg1.jpg

To surprisingly grisly stuff that's like somthing out of a Sven Hassel book (like this page from GIC 256)...

GICpg2.jpg

I don't remember anything like that happening during Kanigher's '68-'74 "Make War No More," days!

Why do you suppose the depictions of violence went from one extreme to the other?

There is some pretty odd (and not really Code-Friendly) stuff in the later DC war books. Why? Mostly because I don't think anyone at DC was paying very close attention, and the guys were just cranking out whatever they wanted!

All this bums me out to no end because I'd love to see new Sgt Rock, Haunted Tank, etc stories done in the old style. I'd like to see the same for the Harvey characters. Sadly, the world seems to have moved on. :(

Very true!

:(

The 48/52 pagers are one of the best mini-runs to put together... just great, great books. It seemed that all the artists and writers were right on their games during that period.

Indeed! It wasn't just in the war genre either. Some tremendous comics were published in the early Bronze Age.

:)

In answer to a previous question about the toy soldier sets that were often advertised on the front and back covers or war comics, I did order some...

In 1979/early 1980 many of the books advertised Toy Soldier sets in HO (1/72) sale that were put out by Atlantic. I ordered the German infantry and the Afrika Korps set, and they didn't disappoint. Just wonderful miniatures that stacked up nicely against my Airfix British 8th Army. I think they were around a buck. Had to go the bank for a $USD money order!

Which one was that? Do you have a picture of the ad?

???

Does anyone know if Kubert had a war book that he preferred working on during the BA?

Thanks,

John

I'm not sure.

But, IIRC, he wasn't doing interiors for the war books because he had moved on to Tarzan.

However, he was editing and doing nearly all the covers for the BA war books by the late 60s or so.

Personally, I really like the covers he did during the 48/52 page issues the most.

Does anyone know if Kubert had a war book that he preferred working on during the BA?

Thanks,

John

I think Our Army At War wins by default. Kubert did the interiors on that book longer than any of the other bronze war books. Pretty early on in the bronze age, GI Combat was handed off to Russ Heath and then Glanzman. OFF was Severin, then Kirby, then Evans. SSWS was sadly, Speigle.

Thanks,

John

I think Our Army At War wins by default. Kubert did the interiors on that book longer than any of the other bronze war books. Pretty early on in the bronze age, GI Combat was handed off to Russ Heath and then Glanzman. OFF was Severin, then Kirby, then Evans. SSWS was sadly, Speigle.

You're right, but don't forget Heath also took over the OAAW interiors as well, around #234, which came out in '71.

Thanks,

John

I spoke to Joe several years ago, and one book that he really enjoyed working on - as a concept - was Blitzkrieg. Not sure if it was his absolute fave...

Thanks,

John

I spoke to Joe several years ago, and one book that he really enjoyed working on - as a concept - was Blitzkrieg. Not sure if it was his absolute fave...

Blitzkrieg is a really interesting book. Kind of ahead of its time. Not great but full of promise---you could see where the creators were wrestling with how far they could go (showing the war through enemy eyes, showing sympathy for the enemy, etc.).

I think the intention was to have the main German character gradually realize that he was fighting for the wrong cause. Too bad it got cancelled after only five issues.

Blitz1.jpg