• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze War Thread
11 11

3,136 posts in this topic

[quote

The original art still belongs to Russ, I believe. When he sold all his O.A. to Heritage, this is one of the pieces he kept back. That's how I heard it anyway.

I need to get Russ to start drinking more...

Well, that deserves to be posted again so I'll quote it at the bottom of this post.

But yeah, it's stunning. Like Shep said, the best work of his career and my favorite war story ever. I'm really more of a -script/plot guy (though the Big Five books always had killer art) but it's the art in this one that puts it way over the top.

The Spitfires attack scene is just outrageous too.

I think I've posted this before, but the story that Marv Wolfman told at a Wondercon panel a few years ago is that he was at DC at the time and Russ was in Chicago and the parcel with the pages for that issue arrived and they passed them around the whole office in complete awe.

Interesting that Russ still has the art. The following year at Wondercon I asked if he ever felt bad about having so much of his GA and SA art destroyed (before companies started giving it back as a matter of course) and he said he never had that problem, if he ever asked for pages they would always return them to him. I thought that was kind of surprising.

I was wrong, it was the Haunted Tank ish - but you were dead on on the story! I scanned (poorly) the pages. I'd give a kidney for the OA to this (or at least a lobe of my liver).

1041210-heathtankpic.jpg

Picking up from Greggy's killer run of OAAW, here's some Sgt. Rock books. Some of these have been posted in the past, but it's always nice seeing them one after the other.

sr302.jpg

I still haven't found a decent 302. I think it is harder than US 205.

Anyone have any idea if the print runs changed when OAAW and SSWS had their title changes? Or did they remain the same?

I still haven't found a decent 302. I think it is harder than US 205.

Anyone have any idea if the print runs changed when OAAW and SSWS had their title changes? Or did they remain the same?

I don't have a 302 either (in any grade). 303 was the first I bought off the stands. By 306 my subscription copies were already arriving.

As for the circulations, it's inconclusive. For one thing, they were dropping across the board anyway. For another, the yearly figures include issues from both before the change and after. OAAW/Rock did drop during that year from 152,000 copies to 137,000. SSWS/US is trickier. It went up from 124,000 to 126,000 with the change, but was down so substantially from the last full year of SSWS (146,000 or something like that) that it's hard to say whether it was the name change or just a normal dead cat bounce...