• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2023 at 6:18 PM, darkstar said:

He's on record saying the Golden Age is finished because all of the boomers that collect it are dying off. 

hm

On 10/7/2023 at 6:28 PM, D2 said:

But there is no tracking. So how can you validate them?

Metrics are metrics for a reason.

It doesn’t matter if there are 10x more transactions, or 10x the fmv price. There has to be a standardized metric, otherwise why would anyone bother tracking anything at all?

What you’re describing is literally a paradox. 

Selling something without the guide of metrics. You base your sales on metrics and yet you invalidate them. 

:facepalm:

Ah someone liked a post, so I'm revisiting the thread to see if I was justified or just hangry,  which leads me to a better word than your question of how to "validate the process ie oracle?"

I would have used the word justify. In short.

Validate seems to propose that these are unwilling parties, needing to prove something, which unfortunately also implies swindling. That is an underlying issue that takes at the heart of this thread to where, who can say any of the hobby is "in validity" with prices paid, lengths gone too and etc

Justify makes it sound as though they weren't encouraging the hobby but were consenting, and therefore making new terms of a high price, which personally I think would be a GOOD THING the privates sales weren't tracked....

I think both parties were eager and willing, but didn't want it on record. In short they knew 3rd parties couldn't justify it, but they were desperate wanting highest possible value... complying willing parties!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I'm further venting but validate in accuracy or justify in reasonableness, pick your battles.

As was pointed out golden age seems to have no choice. But would rather get the thread back in track, rather than ramble about a few pieces that some of us are not in the ballpark of "being in the game." Money wise and or other, and speaking for myself.

I can believe it is justified to any collector or at least buyer to do it willingly and so often, but not on record.

Unless you meant how can you validate, if it even happened or not? Which I guess is a real possibility, which it can't be, other than party A and B so C me later lol

I think I've got it now hahahah

For those personally involved though, Validity is something left to the future market. Anyway, 😜rantrant

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 10/10/2023 at 12:01 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ah someone liked a post, so I'm revisiting the thread to see if I was justified or just hangry,  which leads me to a better word than your question of how to "validate the process ie oracle?"

I would have used the word justify. In short.

Validate seems to propose that these are unwilling parties, needing to prove something, which unfortunately also implies swindling. That is an underlying issue that takes at the heart of this thread to where, who can say any of the hobby is "in validity" with prices paid, lengths gone too and etc

Justify makes it sound as though they weren't encouraging the hobby but were consenting, and therefore making new terms of a high price, which personally I think would be a GOOD THING the privates sales weren't tracked....

I think both parties were eager and willing, but didn't want it on record. In short they knew 3rd parties couldn't justify it, but they were desperate wanting highest possible value... complying willing parties!

I see what you’re saying. 

I see the use of valid, quite literally as it is stated by definition:

(of an argument or point) having a sound basis in logic or fact; reasonable or cogent.

A sound basis in logic. Now if people are buying things outside of sound logic, like for instance, nostalgia, or even the lack of metrics, well that isn’t really what we are talking about then, because if you take it to its furthest point…

A buyer, is looking for a comic book, but no sales of this book have occurred in years. Years and years, we can say. So, as fate would have it, one comes up, and the seller, also acknowledges the rarity (or even, convenience) of any lack of sales records, and lists this item at an incredible price. It’s purchased. 
Now a benchmark is set. And more books come out, due to the crazy price tag. Or maybe they don’t. But we have two scenarios, either a) a baseline metric, or b) an outlier.

The point is, if we are talking about an anomaly, I wouldn’t use that as a baseline.

People can list their books for whatever they want, and people can buy books for whatever price they want. People can sell privately, but from statistical perspectives, they don’t add anything, if it can’t be tracked, or there isn’t a consistent history.

Edited by D2

On 10/11/2023 at 11:38 AM, D2 said:

I see what you’re saying. 

I see the use of valid, quite literally as it is stated by definition:

(of an argument or point) having a sound basis in logic or fact; reasonable or cogent.

A sound basis in logic. Now if people are buying things outside of sound logic, like for instance, nostalgia, or even the lack of metrics, well that isn’t really what we are talking about then, because if you take it to its furthest point…

A buyer, is looking for a comic book, but no sales of this book have occurred in years. Years and years, we can say. So, as fate would have it, one comes up, and the seller, also acknowledges the rarity (or even, convenience) of any lack of sales records, and lists this item at an incredible price. It’s purchased. 
Now a benchmark is set. And more books come out, due to the crazy price tag. Or maybe they don’t. But we have two scenarios, either a) a baseline metric, or b) an outlier.

The point is, if we are talking about an anomaly, I wouldn’t use that as a baseline.

People can list their books for whatever they want, and people can buy books for whatever price they want. People can sell privately, but from statistical perspectives, they don’t add anything, if it can’t be tracked, or there isn’t a consistent history.

^^:cheers:

On 10/11/2023 at 4:48 PM, World Devourer said:

Do you believe this is now the norm or the exception?

Split. 
I don’t think anyone can ignore the sheer volume eBay sells comic books. I don’t like eBay for many reasons, so I am not happy they are so dominant on comic sales. 
I think the rise of Instagram and Marketplace have become strong challengers, and hopefully overthrow eBay, but it would be nice if these transactions were recorded too. 

On 10/11/2023 at 5:55 PM, D2 said:

Split. 
I don’t think anyone can ignore the sheer volume eBay sells comic books. I don’t like eBay for many reasons, so I am not happy they are so dominant on comic sales. 
I think the rise of Instagram and Marketplace have become strong challengers, and hopefully overthrow eBay, but it would be nice if these transactions were recorded too. 

That's exactly why there has been a rise in other platforms.
:insane:

On 10/12/2023 at 1:34 PM, ygogolak said:

That's exactly why there has been a rise in other platforms.
:insane:

Which is great! But *I think* in order to have longevity and stability, there needs to be record keeping of these transactions in order to keep faithful investments. 

On 10/12/2023 at 4:32 PM, D2 said:

Which is great! But *I think* in order to have longevity and stability, there needs to be record keeping of these transactions in order to keep faithful investments. 

Profit is bottom line. Look at platforms like Whutnut and how vile it has become for multiple hobbies.

On 10/12/2023 at 4:47 PM, ygogolak said:

Profit is bottom line. Look at platforms like Whutnut and how vile it has become for multiple hobbies.

I’m curious what you mean. How has this platform run havoc on hobbies?

On 10/12/2023 at 7:52 PM, D2 said:

I’m curious what you mean. How has this platform run havoc on hobbies?

Not as much in comics but with sport cards it has been bad regarding breakers.

Sports cards are a much larger hobby and they were on Whutnut before comics.

On 10/17/2023 at 2:51 PM, ygogolak said:

Not as much in comics but with sport cards it has been bad regarding breakers.

Sports cards are a much larger hobby and they were on Whutnut before comics.

What are breakers?

sorry I just saw an ad for whatnot, I see it’s a thing now, and you are educating me. 

It feels like another gimmick but that might not be fair for me to say

On 10/18/2023 at 5:53 AM, D2 said:

What are breakers?

sorry I just saw an ad for whatnot, I see it’s a thing now, and you are educating me. 

It feels like another gimmick but that might not be fair for me to say

Hey, you are entitled to have an opinion. I think we're all just trying to get a handle on this strange post-COVID market.

On 10/22/2023 at 10:09 AM, World Devourer said:

Hey, you are entitled to have an opinion. I think we're all just trying to get a handle on this strange post-COVID market.

I’m wondering too how long it’s going to last 

On 10/15/2023 at 12:19 AM, speedcake said:

all I see on Whatnot are people getting steals on tons of books (shrug)

I see a lot of that as well. Alot of sellers just honestly only
know part of the market. Its the same at shows, flea markets, ebay and other
places been that way for years always will be. I am more than happy though to buy
books from individual sellers there. I will not buy from the more established
influencers that are on there as I feel they manipulate their buyers.

On 10/22/2023 at 6:51 PM, fastballspecial said:

In the slab market? Quite a lot longer than many people think.
Raw market has rebounded quite nicely lately. 
All know more after my next show in early November. 

Please give an update 🙏 

On 10/23/2023 at 9:10 AM, D2 said:

I’m wondering too how long it’s going to last 

Well, I can only speak from my own personal experience as a seller, but from what I have observed there has been a dramatic slowdown on the purchase of high-end slabs. Even a 9.8 will sit there on display for months, despite umpteen watchers. I believe that things will rebound, but not until late 2024 at the earliest. On an aside, I think the fact that the MCU now needs reinventing has also made people skittish and wary of big comic-related purchases, as there's no guarantee of a return. So, the ships are moored in the harbour...while we sit in the tavern and wait.