• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

• Administrator

1 person has been banned from this topic.  I am not sure whether it will be permanent or not.   I think it's time for every one else to move on or risk getting banned as well.   

On 7/14/2023 at 9:25 AM, I like pie said:

For the record, I think it's a great cover and acknowledge it's rarity.

If I was ridiculously rich and already had an AF15 9.6, I'd pick up a 667 as well :cloud9:

Think it’s pretty clear to non-weirdos that none of you are arguing against the merits of the book. 

Looks like it already beat the dellotto 9.6 that sold in June (blue label sold for $12k per jaydog, 

I think market timing is probably fine for this book since it’s so niche and rare… As the ppl who want this are willing to shell out top dollar since it rarely comes up for sale

On 10/4/2023 at 7:16 PM, devald said:

Wow. Unbelievable result. Think this makes it a contender to the dell’otto and UF4 djurdjevic

IMG_6129.thumb.jpeg.84656464cd8165e9c8c766bded41b034.jpeg

That's obviously a strong price but this book would have to beat 40K more than once to displace the 667 or the uf 4 even for the distant #2 spot.  And even though the uf 4 variant has dropped way down to 19k in a 9.8 that's still more than anything this book has ever sold for in any grade.   If I were to update the list now this sale  would get it to #3 based on the original criteria.

-J.

On 10/4/2023 at 10:29 PM, Jaydogrules said:

That's obviously a strong price but this book would have to beat 40K more than once to displace the 667 or the uf 4 even for the distant #2 spot.  And even though the uf 4 variant has dropped way down to 19k in a 9.8 that's still more than anything this book has ever sold for in any grade.   If I were to update the list now this sale  would get it to #3 based on the original criteria.

-J.

I think that if a 9.8 were to come to market then it’d have a shot of displacing the dellotto and for sure landing at #2 over the UF4. Though there’s clearly less of these than the asm given how few have transacted publicly.

On 10/4/2023 at 7:35 PM, devald said:

I think that if a 9.8 were to come to market then it’d have a shot of displacing the dellotto and for sure landing at #2 over the UF4. Though there’s clearly less of these than the asm given how few have transacted publicly.

There's also much less of an audience for Spawn than ASM or a UF 4.  I'm not convinced a 9.8 copy would sell for more than 40k or even 30k. I agree the rarity works against it , but this list has always been based on actual sales and not hypothetical ones.  

-J 

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 10/4/2023 at 10:46 PM, Jaydogrules said:

There's also much less of an audience for Spawn than ASM or a UF 4.  I'm not convinced a 9.8 copy would sell for more than 40k ir even 30k. I agree the rarity works against it , but this list has always been based on actual sales and not hypothetical ones.  

-J 

In any event the fact a 9.6 sold for that much is impressive. Can’t wait to see what the 9.8 goes for 

On 10/4/2023 at 7:51 PM, devald said:

In any event the fact a 9.6 sold for that much is impressive. Can’t wait to see what the 9.8 goes for 

Yes that's way more than I would expect.  Maybe this sale will suss some more out.  The fact that a 9.0 sold for only 2k less also tells me there is some price compression in grades for this book.  Like I've said before, sometimes a book can be TOO rare. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 10/4/2023 at 9:46 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I'm not convinced a 9.8 copy would sell for more than 40k or even 30k.

Really? 

hm

On 10/4/2023 at 9:29 PM, Jaydogrules said:

And even though the uf 4 variant has dropped way down to 19k in a 9.8 that's still more than anything this book has ever sold for in any grade.   

As a former owner of a 9.8 copy, I have knowledge of multiple private sales and you are severely undervaluing this book. Your statement is flat out wrong. 

Edited by newshane

On 10/4/2023 at 9:20 PM, newshane said:

As a former owner of a 9.8 copy, I have knowledge of multiple private sales and you are severely undervaluing this book. Your statement is flat out wrong. 

Good for you. 

I also know of many "private sales" of many books on this list and those have never been counted on this list either.  Why ? Because anybody can claim anything happened "privately". So only public sales are used.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

I'm going to agree with devald here. When a 9.8 finally does go for auction, those that can afford it will be prepared to pay. It only takes 2 cashed up buyers to get into a bidding war and that 40K threshold will be broken.

I don't believe UH#4 has the staying power, but there are some other ultra-rare gems out there that could do it if circumstances are right (it might take at least 2 sales but possible) 

On 10/5/2023 at 3:20 PM, newshane said:

Respectfully, can you advise as to the sales price?

I'm simply curious (not argumentative).

On 10/5/2023 at 5:10 AM, World Devourer said:

Respectfully, can you advise as to the sales price?

I'm simply curious (not argumentative).

I won’t say out of respect for the parties involved, but I will say that the claim that 19k is “still more than anything this book has ever sold for in any grade” is absolutely false. We breached that amount YEARS ago. 

On 10/5/2023 at 12:16 AM, Jaydogrules said:

So only public sales are used.  

-J.

I understand, but you should add that caveat to your statement. I also understand that’s the nature of your list, but you should be more careful with your language by adding the appropriate modifier. What you actually wrote is incorrect.