• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

There were a bunch more uf variants in the heritage auction that just closed- 3, 9.8's and a 9.6.  There was one ASM 667 Dell'otto, a 9.6.

9.8 yellow label Signed and sketched by two artists uf 4 went for 33k.

Blue label 9.8 uf 4 (cgc) went for 27.6K.

(That was after the comiclink sale from a gew days ago for another copy of 26.2k.)

Blue label 9.8 uf 4 (cbcs) went for 18k. 

Blue label 9.6 uf 4 went for 7k.

Blue label 9.6, 667 Dell'otto went for 12k.

-J.

On 6/22/2023 at 8:49 PM, Jaydogrules said:

There were a bunch more uf variants in the heritage auction that just closed- 3, 9.8's and a 9.6.  There was one ASM 667 Dell'otto, a 9.6.

9.8 yellow label Signed and sketched by two artists uf 4 went for 33k.

Blue label 9.8 uf 4 (cgc) went for 27.6K.

(That was after the comiclink sale from a gew days ago for another copy of 26.2k.)

Blue label 9.8 uf 4 (cbcs) went for 18k. 

Blue label 9.6 uf 4 went for 7k.

Blue label 9.6, 667 Dell'otto went for 12k.

-J.

I thought that was silly of heritage to put out more than 1 9.8 copy of the UF4 variant in the same session. I suspect they have more copies in the pipeline for the next signature auctions. $27k and $26k are bargains for what those books went for last year.

While the UF4's seemed to dip in price suffering from oversupply

The lone dell'otto 9.6 seemed to remain flat or possibly rise from its $10k position last year.  I suspect a future 9.8 dell'otto will likely sell for around 25-30k but possibly more if its the only one for sale in 6 months or more.  Market correction is in full effect.

On 6/23/2023 at 6:34 AM, justafan said:

I thought that was silly of heritage to put out more than 1 9.8 copy of the UF4 variant in the same session. I suspect they have more copies in the pipeline for the next signature auctions. $27k and $26k are bargains for what those books went for last year.

While the UF4's seemed to dip in price suffering from oversupply

The lone dell'otto 9.6 seemed to remain flat or possibly rise from its $10k position last year.  I suspect a future 9.8 dell'otto will likely sell for around 25-30k but possibly more if its the only one for sale in 6 months or more.  Market correction is in full effect.

What are your thoughts on the CBCS UF, 9.8 copy result (which was the last one to sell yesterday for 18k)?

-J..

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 6/23/2023 at 10:30 AM, Jaydogrules said:

What are your thoughts on the CBCS UF, 9.8 copy result (which was the last one to sell yesterday for 18k)?

-J..

Somebody got a steal. I thought it was very foolish of heritage selling it alongside the cgc 9.8. Historically the cbcs copies will sell for a discount to cgc copies but even if it had been another cgc 9.8 I would still expect it to go for less than the 9.8 that sold before it. I mean, the market for the 9.8 UF4 variant was just represented when the cgc 9.8 copy sold a minute earlier. Now you have that same market minus 1 buyer who was satisfied by the cgc copy so you know that the next copy will sell, at most, for whatever the underbidder was willing to bid. However, the market for cbcs copies is smaller than that of cgc copies so you must also subtract the bidders that only want a uf 4 cgc copy but leave in the ones who are willing to risk buying a cbcs 9.8 copy at a discount and plan to resub to cgc.

Now I didn't get a close look at the book so maybe it also had some defects or presentation that turned some of the underbidders on the cgc 9.8 copy off from bidding as well. 

Long story short, the market for the cbcs 9.8 copy immediately after a cgc copy was going to plummet and did so by nearly $10k less.

By the next heritage signature auction it might be back up to $25k for a cgc copy but I wonder if it would have gone for more if GPA reported cbcs copies. The $18k won't be recorded in GPA, only the $27k sale will. If it was, the new 90-day gpa would put it closer to $23k

On 6/28/2023 at 10:44 PM, justafan said:

Somebody got a steal. I thought it was very foolish of heritage selling it alongside the cgc 9.8. Historically the cbcs copies will sell for a discount to cgc copies but even if it had been another cgc 9.8 I would still expect it to go for less than the 9.8 that sold before it. I mean, the market for the 9.8 UF4 variant was just represented when the cgc 9.8 copy sold a minute earlier. Now you have that same market minus 1 buyer who was satisfied by the cgc copy so you know that the next copy will sell, at most, for whatever the underbidder was willing to bid. However, the market for cbcs copies is smaller than that of cgc copies so you must also subtract the bidders that only want a uf 4 cgc copy but leave in the ones who are willing to risk buying a cbcs 9.8 copy at a discount and plan to resub to cgc.

Now I didn't get a close look at the book so maybe it also had some defects or presentation that turned some of the underbidders on the cgc 9.8 copy off from bidding as well. 

Long story short, the market for the cbcs 9.8 copy immediately after a cgc copy was going to plummet and did so by nearly $10k less.

By the next heritage signature auction it might be back up to $25k for a cgc copy but I wonder if it would have gone for more if GPA reported cbcs copies. The $18k won't be recorded in GPA, only the $27k sale will. If it was, the new 90-day gpa would put it closer to $23k

Too late.

On 6/29/2023 at 8:00 AM, ygogolak said:

Too late.

LOL! Blame Texas TAAS HS testing requirements from the 90s brainwashing their English writing rubric format for making a point. I can't write anything now that doesn't subconsciously follow their verbose requirements and I work in a technical field. Being concise has been a lifelong struggle. Should have been a lawyer instead.

On 6/28/2023 at 7:44 PM, justafan said:

Yeah I thought selling 3 9.8's in one auction was nuts.  Each copy went for less than the last.  The CBCS copy was the last one.  Indeed GPA won't pick it up but go collect will and it will also be a part of heritages archived sales now.  The sale doesn't drop into a black hole.

-J.

On 6/30/2023 at 7:27 AM, Jaydogrules said:

Went for $7255.

The undisputed King.

-J.

On 6/30/2023 at 10:27 AM, Jaydogrules said:

I was tracking this one. It just went for $7200 and change all action at the last min and 30 seconds. 

I'm curious what this one will grade out as. The only real defect is the large (production?) ink fade at the top of interior page 2 and 3 that affects the art and some of the story.. Seller had it as a NM- due to the defect. How do you think CGC will treat this one? At the price it went, the buyer thinks it's in the 9.0-9.4 range.

Screenshot_20230709_211525_eBay.thumb.jpg.8f2594188aaf20707ba64b366a9ae832.jpg

Screenshot_20230709_212538_eBay.thumb.jpg.24b7a2f96a650d2117b651302e4d7428.jpg

Edited by justafan
Correction

On 7/9/2023 at 9:26 PM, justafan said:

I was tracking this one. It just went for $7200 and change all action at the last min and 30 seconds. 

I'm curious what this one will grade out as. The only real defect is the large (production?) ink fade at the top of interior page 2 and 3 that affects the art and some of the story.. Seller had it as a NM- due to the defect. How do you think CGC will treat this one? At the price it went, the buyer thinks it's in the 9.0-9.4 range.

Could be someone gambling that CGC doesn't actually check all of the pages, and they just got a 5-figure book for 4 figures.

On 7/9/2023 at 6:26 PM, justafan said:

That's a production defect. The ink on that dark page hadn't dried yet and transferred to the opposite page.  That's a bummer.  Lots of damaged /error copies of this book out there. Maybee up to half of the 200 copies printed.  Does CGC even factor something like that into the grade though?  Does it get a green label ? CGC will.definitely scrutinize this book, assuming it even gets submitted.  I presume the defect is why it never was in the first place.  I'd probably just put it in a nice full back and leave it raw.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 7/9/2023 at 11:34 PM, Jaydogrules said:

That's a production defect. The ink on that dark page hadn't dried yet and transferred to the opposite page.  That's a bummer.  Lots of damaged /error copies of this book out there. Maybee up to half of the 200 copies printed.  Does CGC even factor something like that into the grade though?  Does it get a green label ? CGC will.definitely scrutinize this book, assuming it even gets submitted.  I presume the defect is why it never was in the first place.  I'd probably just put it in a nice full back and leave it raw.

-J.

I was initially thinking along the lines of what Geeksaremypeeps said. If they don't check the interior pages very well, how many 9.6s and 9.8s out there could potentially have this defect that was missed. On the other hand, cgc is known to allow common production defects that affected a significant portion of the print run to be allowed in 9.8. I only know of less than a handful of raw copies out there that could be checked. If this was a common defect, some of those may have it. I would hope none of the 9.8 graded copies would have it.

I suspect if this thread gets any of the graders attention they'll be looking closer for it.

Edited by justafan

On 7/9/2023 at 9:24 PM, justafan said:

I was initially thinking along the lines of what Geeksaremypeeps said. If they don't check the interior pages very well, how many 9.6s and 9.8s out there could potentially have this defect that was missed. On the other hand, cgc is known to allow common production defects that affected a significant portion of the print run to be allowed in 9.8. I only know of less than a handful of raw copies out there that could be checked. If this was a common defect, some of those may have it. I would hope none of the 9.8 graded copies would have it.

I suspect if this thread gets any of the graders attention they'll be looking closer for it.

They definitely flip through every page.  At least, they're supposed to lol.  They count them and look for tears.  You'd have to be blind to not see that.  If it's not a "common" production issue on this book (I've never seen this one before, I've just seen back cover damage on this book), I think it would be a green label.  

I think....

Of course the other alternative is that a completist looking to fill a hole.bougjt it and has no intention of ever getting it graded so he doesn't care about the defect.  From the outside it looks like a great copy.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

On 7/9/2023 at 10:34 PM, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

How do you *know* the bolded statements above?

Not the 200 copies printed rabbit hole as we've been there before, but that "maybee up to half" are damaged or error copies?

What constitutes an error copy? Is that damage from the factory? Damage (creased spines) from owners?

On 7/10/2023 at 12:27 PM, manetteska said:

Not the 200 copies printed rabbit hole as we've been there before, but that "maybee up to half" are damaged or error copies?

What constitutes an error copy? Is that damage from the factory? Damage (creased spines) from owners?

The damaged copies is a rumor that's been floated for more than a decade now.  On other boards dealers said they received damaged copies and sent them back for returns but no replacements were sent out they just got a credit on their account.  The damage is almost always streaks on the back cover or a chewed up spine and they were delivered by Diamond that way.  Like I said I've never seen one with ink transfer on interior pages like this one.  

-J.

On 7/10/2023 at 2:51 PM, Jaydogrules said:
On 7/10/2023 at 2:27 PM, manetteska said:

The damaged copies is a rumor that's been floated for more than a decade now.  On other boards dealers said they received damaged copies and sent them back for returns but no replacements were sent out they just got a credit on their account.  The damage is almost always streaks on the back cover or a chewed up spine and they were delivered by Diamond that way.  Like I said I've never seen one with ink transfer on interior pages like this one.  

-J.

Ahh, hearsay. :cheers: