• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

The more I think about it, the more I believe the title of this thread should be changed. It is not accurate at all for the most valuable modern variants, otherwise the Zdarsky Star Wars #1 black & white variant would be on this list. I don't know what the title should be, but the list is definitely not representative of the title of the thread.

The cut off point is three years specifically to exclude the many variants that start off super hot and then crash in value shortly therafter (as I explained in the first post). On any given day a new variant can come out and skyrocket in price and be forgotten the next week, month, or year. The purpose of this list is to highlight the books that have proven to be the exceptions to that pattern over an extended period of time.

If people are still paying for the Vader down in another two and a half years what they're paying now, I'll be happy to add it. (thumbs u

-J.

But most of these books on the list have just skyrocketed in the past year. Why are they the exception? They also have no track record to speak of.

Edited by rjrjr

I guess the fact that the RRP was given away AT the Diamond Retailer Summit and this is Diamond's Retailer Summit Announcement isn't enough?

Saga #1 Published Date - March 14, 2012

Saga #1 Second Printing - April 11, 2012

Diamond Retailer Summit - April 12, 2012

Clearly, MyComicShop and CGC are in a better position to define which book is which printing and the link is an error. :baiting:

I understand that is when it was distributed but was it actually run off as and intended to be a "third print", or was it printed along with the first print and held back until and then distributed at the summit? (shrug)

-J.

:eyeroll:

The more I think about it, the more I believe the title of this thread should be changed. It is not accurate at all for the most valuable modern variants, otherwise the Zdarsky Star Wars #1 black & white variant would be on this list. I don't know what the title should be, but the list is definitely not representative of the title of the thread.

The cut off point is three years specifically to exclude the many variants that start off super hot and then crash in value shortly therafter (as I explained in the first post). On any given day a new variant can come out and skyrocket in price and be forgotten the next week, month, or year. The purpose of this list is to highlight the books that have proven to be the exceptions to that pattern over an extended period of time.

If people are still paying for the Vader down in another two and a half years what they're paying now, I'll be happy to add it. (thumbs u

-J.

But most of these books on the list have just skyrocketed in the past year. Why are they the exception? They also have no track record to speak of.

Really, only two of them have "skyrocketed" in the last 12 months. The rest started pretty strong and just continued to get stronger. But that's why the list is fluid and why the order will undoubtedly shuffle as other qualifying books experience similar growth spurts and leapfrog other books on the list.

Bringing in whatever "hot" new variant of the month only to remove after it crashes only plays into the statements of those who think variants are a waste of money or a "bad investment". The purpose of this list is to show who the top performers have been and are now, and not just because it is the new hot dot of the moment (even if they weren't necessarily so right out of the gate).

-J.

I guess the fact that the RRP was given away AT the Diamond Retailer Summit and this is Diamond's Retailer Summit Announcement isn't enough?

Clearly, MyComicShop and CGC are in a better position to define which book is which printing and the link is an error. :baiting:

I understand that is when it was distributed but was it actually run off as and intended to be a "third print", or was it printed along with the first print and held back until and then distributed at the summit? (shrug)

-J.

If they are following the barcode format it's a second variant of the third printing:

00111 March - First Print

00112 March - Second Print

00113 April - Third Print

00123 April - Diamond Retailer Summit Variant (third print, second variant)

-J.

If they are following the barcode format it's a second variant of the third printing:

Good thinking.

It's a 3rd print variant from the UPC.

RRP

UPC reads "00123", correct?

1st issue, 2nd cover variation, 3rd print

3rd Print, Regular Cover

UPC reads "00113"

1st issue, 1st cover, 3rd print

It's the first "variant". The regular cover is denoted with a '1'.

Barcode for the Diamond Retailer Summit variant is "00123", which translates as:

001 - First Issue

2 - Second variant cover

3 - Third Printing

According to this:

Barcode_Key.jpg

I suppose it should say second cover rather than variant as the regular isn't really a first variant (as it's not a variation of anything).

Edited by Neeidea

It's the first "variant". The regular cover is denoted with a '1'.

Agreed, the regular is not a variant of anything so 1 is the regular, 2 is the first variant (or second cover) and 3 (if it existed) would be the second variant (or third cover).

This one is nearing 3 years old already and pretty much the scarcest walking dead comic out there. Walking dead 116 - 3rd printing, not sure what the value is but I would guess some where in the 2 to 3K range.

This one is nearing 3 years old already and pretty much the scarcest walking dead comic out there. Walking dead 116 - 3rd printing, not sure what the value is but I would guess some where in the 2 to 3K range.

Going to have to keep it limited to first prints only.

That's great info on that saga RRP guys, I definitely learned something new here today. :headbang:

The list will be updated.

-J.

Why? It's still one of the "Most Valuable Modern Variants".

Desireability. Monetary value. Rarity. Etc. etc.

Indeed. But it's not a first print. All of the other books on the list are (unless I missed another one that isn't). It's a case of "which of these is not like the others". I want to try to keep the playing field level for every book that's included, and the second, third, etc-print market is an emerging sub-niche market when it comes to variants. I could easily make another list of the "most valuable second-and later print books", because they are starting to become a thing now. But as for this list, I want to keep it first print only, since they all basically are.

-J.

Can we change the thread title?

lol No but there are certainly other lists that can be created that could include other variants that other people have asked about. "Most Valuable Ashcans", "Most Valuable Foriegn Variants", "Most Valuable Variants Released in the Last 24 Months", "Most Valuable Error/Recalled Books", "Most Valuable Sketched Blanks", "Most Valuable Variants That Aren't First Prints". etc etc etc.

In order for a list to even be possible there has to be "some" kind of criteria, so I decided to go with the sweet spot that applies to "most" modern variants as we know them today. (thumbs u

-J.