• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
17 17

2,251 posts in this topic

I think it's a pretty cool list, whether it's agreed with or disagreed with. It took some time to come up with it, so kudos for that! :applause:

With WD being my forte, and with JJ mentioning this earlier in the thread, I would have to state that the Hero Initiative (105 copies) #100 would by far surpass the Red Foil/Lucille variants in nature of value/scarcity so if a WD ish should be on the list, it should be the HI 100 variant. But that's just my 2c and not intended to persuade JDR from changing the list, because I can see the arguments made on the WD 100 RF/Lucille front.

Thanks for compiling it! :foryou:

I agree the walking dead 100 hero initiative blanks are more rare and have at times sold for more than the Lucille/RF. But those were intended for original sketches and published with no variant art, and may not have even been intended to be released by the publisher at all in that form. It is the same reason I excluded recalled/error comics, as those are also a different beast than those on the Dirty Dozen list. The list is intended to be fluid, and I honestly did forget about Spawn 185, it should have made the original Dozen, but some of the more obscure or less applicable suggestions others have mentioned, I did consider and did not include because they honestly were not consistent with the others on the list (including the German Supergirl cover by Turner, which I did not include because it is a "foreign variant").

-J.

So now Panini (Deutschland) isn't a good enough publisher for your list? Only Marvel, DC and Image qualify?

I think it's a pretty cool list, whether it's agreed with or disagreed with. It took some time to come up with it, so kudos for that! :applause:

With WD being my forte, and with JJ mentioning this earlier in the thread, I would have to state that the Hero Initiative (105 copies) #100 would by far surpass the Red Foil/Lucille variants in nature of value/scarcity so if a WD ish should be on the list, it should be the HI 100 variant. But that's just my 2c and not intended to persuade JDR from changing the list, because I can see the arguments made on the WD 100 RF/Lucille front.

I agree the walking dead 100 hero initiative blanks are more rare and have at times sold for more than the Lucille/RF. But those were intended for original sketches and published with no variant art, and may not have even been intended to be released by the publisher at all in that form. It is the same reason I excluded recalled/error comics, as those are also a different beast than those on the Dirty Dozen list. The list is intended to be fluid, and I honestly did forget about Spawn 185, it should have made the original Dozen, but some of the more obscure or less applicable suggestions others have mentioned, I did consider and did not include because they honestly were not consistent with the others on the list (including the German Supergirl cover by Turner, which I did not include because it is a "foreign variant").

-J.

So now Panini (Deutschland) isn't a good enough publisher for your list? Only Marvel, DC and Image qualify?

It's fine, and I'm sure that Supergirl book, as awesome as it is, would be at or near the top of the "most valuable foeign variants" list. lol (though it is also technically a foreign reprint, if I'm not mistaken).

-J.

-J.

It's fine, and I'm sure that Supergirl book, as awesome as it is, would be at or near the top of the "most valuable foeign variants" list. lol (though it is also technically a foreign reprint, if I'm not mistaken).

-J.

Of course it's licensed and reprinted from DC. So?

It's a variant of Batman/Superman 4, published by Panini Deutschland. It has an alternate art cover, which you are now claiming is so important for this thread. Nothing you have said previously in this thread excludes it from consideration.

The criteria:

1) Book must be at least three years old. No newly released "hot" variants were used, as we all know, the vast majority of them do not hold value. The books used need to have shown some kind of staying power;

2) No recalled/error books were used. Those are not "variants" as intended by the publishers;

3) First prints only;

4) Blank covers and/or sketched books were not considered.

-J.

-J.

It's a variant of Batman/Superman 4, published by Panini Deutschland. It has an alternate art cover, which you are now claiming is so important for this thread. Nothing you have said previously in this thread excludes it from consideration.

The criteria:

1) Book must be at least three years old. No newly released "hot" variants were used, as we all know, the vast majority of them do not hold value. The books used need to have shown some kind of staying power;

2) No recalled/error books were used. Those are not "variants" as intended by the publishers;

3) First prints only;

Seriously, a foreign reprint is a completely different animal than the other books represented on the list. Also, it's a REPRINT, which alone would exclude it from consideration.

-J.

-J.

I can understand the point being made about the HI books each having unique covers (with their sketches). They're technically variants but I can understand your reasoning for not including it.

Nothing you have said previously in this thread excludes it from consideration.

Its not on his personal list. Its always been about his personal list.

Which, unfortunately, makes these sort of lists inaccurate, because, instead of an objective analysis, using a concrete set of criteria, shifting criteria results in contradictory information.

Fun if it's a personal list....but not very useful as an objective study of the market as it exists.

Also, the hyperbole ("don't expect to get this one on the cheap ever again (if you can even find one)") makes it sound less like an objective analysis and more like a sales catalog.

Necessary qualification for those who need such: the list is a fine idea, and would be a very handy tool, if it is produced using rigorous scientific accuracy, picking a single set of criteria and letting the criteria dictate the list....not the other way around.

Which, unfortunately, makes these sort of lists inaccurate, because, instead of an objective analysis, using a concrete set of criteria, shifting criteria results in contradictory information.

Fun if it's a personal list....but not very useful as an objective study of the market as it exists.

Also, the hyperbole ("don't expect to get this one on the cheap ever again (if you can even find one)") makes it sound less like an objective analysis and more like a sales catalog.

Necessary qualification for those who need such: the list is a fine idea, and would be a very handy tool, if it is produced using rigorous scientific accuracy, picking a single set of criteria and letting the criteria dictate the list....not the other way around.

Well the list as it exists, comparing like to like and from the same time period is a fair and accurate representation as of today. As with all things there are outliers, but most scientific studies that I've seen also exclude those for a reason. (thumbs u

-J.

:o

Before I opened up the thread, I would have been willing to bet everything I have and own on what the " #1 book " was gonna be.

Jim

:o

Before I opened up the thread, I would have been willing to bet everything I have and own on what the " #1 book " was gonna be.

Jim

Tell me you won't be living in a cardboard box for a while :baiting:

-J.

-J.

The criteria:

3) First prints only;

Seriously, a foreign reprint is a completely different animal than the other books represented on the list. Also, it's a REPRINT, which alone would exclude it from consideration.

-J.

The WD #100 is a reprint...just saying. #100's came out in July, Lucille's came out at the end of August.

Jim

-J.

-J.

The criteria:

3) First prints only;

-J.

The WD #100 is a reprint...just saying. #100's came out in July, Lucille's came out at the end of August.

Jim

hm Is there anything that specifically stating that it's a reprint rather than a special cover that was held back for whatever reason?

Also, I did not know that the saga 1 is a third print. I may have to adjust the list....

-J.

Okay I double checked and this link is the only things that refers to the RRP as a "third printing". I'm thinking it might be an error, as both mycomicshop and both CGC call the blue lettered version the third print.

Without something more definitive I think the saga #1 RRP deserves to stay on the list. (thumbs u

-J.

I guess the fact that the RRP was given away AT the Diamond Retailer Summit and this is Diamond's Retailer Summit Announcement isn't enough?

Saga #1 Published Date - March 14, 2012

Saga #1 Second Printing - April 11, 2012

Diamond Retailer Summit - April 12, 2012

Clearly, MyComicShop and CGC are in a better position to define which book is which printing and the link is an error. :baiting:

The more I think about it, the more I believe the title of this thread should be changed. It is not accurate at all for the most valuable modern variants, otherwise the Zdarsky Star Wars #1 black & white variant would be on this list. I don't know what the title should be, but the list is definitely not representative of the title of the thread.

Edited by rjrjr

I guess the fact that the RRP was given away AT the Diamond Retailer Summit and this is Diamond's Retailer Summit Announcement isn't enough?

Saga #1 Published Date - March 14, 2012

Saga #1 Second Printing - April 11, 2012

Diamond Retailer Summit - April 12, 2012

Clearly, MyComicShop and CGC are in a better position to define which book is which printing and the link is an error. :baiting:

I understand that is when it was distributed but was it actually run off as and intended to be a "third print", or was it printed along with the first print and held back until and then distributed at the summit? (shrug)

-J.

The more I think about it, the more I believe the title of this thread should be changed. It is not accurate at all for the most valuable modern variants, otherwise the Zdarsky Star Wars #1 black & white variant would be on this list. I don't know what the title should be, but the list is definitely not representative of the title of the thread.

Agreed, but the OP stated it must be 3 years old.

The cut off point is three years specifically to exclude the many variants that start off super hot and then crash in value shortly therafter (as I explained in the first post). On any given day a new variant can come out and skyrocket in price and be forgotten the next week, month, or year. The purpose of this list is to highlight the books that have proven to be the exceptions to that pattern over an extended period of time.

If people are still paying for the Vader down in another two and a half years what they're paying now, I'll be happy to add it. (thumbs u

-J.