• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOS Appreciation Thread

1,099 posts in this topic

I hear ya Colin. Whenever I see someone with a big time raw key curiosity just gets the best of me. I have a friend who just bought a raw Showcase #4 for the unheard of sum of $250. I think its at least a 4.0 and would love to see what it would grade at. He also has no intention of selling, but as I said the curiosity gets the better of me.

hm I seem to recall that there was this guy from Alaska who had a very pretty TOS 39...

yeah, but I heard it's raw and the image scans are too big for easy posting.MyTOS391200DPI.jpg

I 'm still working on rebuilding my 1-38. Great Book my friend.

tosgroup.jpg

Just got this back from being graded. I think it was a Motor City Comics purchase back in the day.

TOS 66

TOS066-92.jpg

Ok, first I'm awestruck by tmoore's TOS 1-38 run. :whatthe::cloud9:

And now this. Gorgeous book. Gotta love how Marvel had Jack Kirby draw all the covers to TOS. I love the split covers on TTA and this is a phenomenal TOS split!

(worship)

I believe this issue coincides with X-Men #3 which plays into the background color gradations of X-Men #4 which just may be the greatest X-Men cover of all time...as a fellow artist, this is interesting and would be an interesting topic of exploration in the Marvel realm for discussion...not that it was unique and certainly had appeared in GA/prior but what the mind-set was at the time...

I believe this issue coincides with X-Men #3 which plays into the background color gradations of X-Men #4 which just may be the greatest X-Men cover of all time...as a fellow artist, this is interesting and would be an interesting topic of exploration in the Marvel realm for discussion...not that it was unique and certainly had appeared in GA/prior but what the mind-set was at the time...

TOS 49, great cover...weak story. 2c

Even weaker Ditko art!! Do 'ya think he was rushed a little on this one!!!! lol

I'd say so!!!! Damn that Stan is a dictator!!!

I suspect that Ditko pencilled TOS 49 with the intention to ink it himself -- and something came up. Look at Blake Bell's example of Ditko's pencils from ASM #31: Ditko Pencils

He apparently gave Roussos, Ayers, Colletta and Giacoia much better pencils to work with in the TTA Hulks (#60-67).

My 12¢

Dennis

I suspect that Ditko pencilled TOS 49 with the intention to ink it himself -- and something came up. Look at Blake Bell's example of Ditko's pencils from ASM #31: Ditko Pencils

He apparently gave Roussos, Ayers, Colletta and Giacoia much better pencils to work with in the TTA Hulks (#60-67).

My 12¢

Dennis

You're probably right on that!!!! That would help to explain a lot!!!!

I also think the deadlines that he had to work (Kirby especially, I don't know how he done it) with must have been difficult to say the least!!!

Just got this in the post:

tos9.jpg

It's a raggedy thing but it's all in one piece and it's mine :grin:

This contains the first supposed 'Iron Man prototype' story. The story in question concerns a 'living robot' who does indeed bear a passing resemblance to ol' Tony :)