• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Anyone read the recent comments about the screening? So far, they've been really positive.

Bloggers that were given advanced screenings of Captain Marvel are saying very positive things about the movie. And not just 'it's the next MCU movie so it must be good' positive.

:wishluck:

It would be great to have yet another year of solid comic book movies like 2018.

5 hours ago, fett said:

rumor has it she walks up behind Thanos as he sits in repose on his paradise planet, and without even looking at her he sags and says " I was wondering when you were going to show up" :) 

3 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Did you make that up, as it's actually really good.

Nonsenselol.  I don't care how powerful they make Captain Marvel.  Her power level still can't touch Thanos.  Unless she has a crew backing her up in such a scene, she'd get her booty kicked one-on-one.

The credit scene will be her fighting in space and then her pager goes off^^.

2 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

Nonsenselol.  I don't care how powerful they make Captain Marvel.  Her power level still can't touch Thanos.  Unless she has a crew backing her up in such a scene, she'd get her booty kicked one-on-one.

The credit scene will be her fighting in space and then her pager goes off^^.

"Thanos is the most powerful being in the universe." This was after he lost the scepter and had 0 Infinity Stones to his name, and the Kree knew about Captain Marvel at the time, since this was set in the 90's and GotG was in 2014.

I'm not a fan of Captain Marvel being more powerful than Thor in this universe. Unfortunately, that seems to be the case, though. I would think the God-King of Asgard + Stormbreaker can't be matched hero-wise.

Is Gerber an SJW, though? That hashtag doesn't give me good vibes, since it's a quote from the elitist-feminist Super Bowl TV Spot that I didn't particularly care for.

Edit: He's one of the guys that replaced the Superhero News trio. Not really a fan of his TBH. He doesn't irk me, though.

Edited by TwoPiece

1 hour ago, TwoPiece said:

Is Gerber an SJW, though? That hashtag doesn't give me good vibes, since it's a quote from the elitist-feminist Super Bowl TV Spot that I didn't particularly care for.

Edit: He's one of the guys that replaced the Superhero News trio. Not really a fan of his TBH. He doesn't irk me, though.

You hit it on the head who this is. The host of Superhero News that replaced the trio that went off to form their own reporting site.

Not a bad guy. Not as energized as the previous hosts. But his reviews at least are reasonable.

58 minutes ago, drotto said:

Putting all the politics aside, I have one large worry from a story telling standpoint for Endgame, not this movie.  I would be upset if they spent 10 years building up all the other characters, only to have the newcomer swoop in and save the day because non of the established characters could.  I do not care if she plays a role, but she can not be the solution.  

I just feel this would cheapen everything that has come before.  Ultimately. It should be the primary 6 or 7 characters from the past 10 years that defeat Thanos.

What if it is Adam Warlock?

9 minutes ago, kimik said:

What if it is Adam Warlock?

Personally, no.  They have dozens of established characters to work with bringing anything or anyone in so late, that has not been well established would feel cheap and lazy.

4 minutes ago, drotto said:

Personally, no.  They have dozens of established characters to work with bringing anything or anyone in so late, that has not been well established would feel cheap and lazy.

If the "current" heroes couldn't defeat him in Infinity War, why the hell should they be able to do so in Endgame..?

Even if Thor did go for the head this time, the Russo Bros already said that the Infinity Gauntlet can fend off Stormbreaker if Thanos doesn't underestimate its power.

It's gonna take more than who we're already seen to take him down. Captain Marvel and Adam Warlock would be a good place to start tipping the scales in the direction of heroes' victory.

Edit: And we have literally half of the heroes at the beginning of this story as opposed to IW, so the odds are even worse with what's left. They need more (and more powerful) characters this time around.

Edited by TwoPiece

4 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

If the "current" heroes couldn't defeat him in Infinity War, why the hell should they be able to do so in Endgame..?

Even if Thor did go for the head this time, the Russo Bros already said that the Infinity Gauntlet can fend off Stormbreaker if Thanos doesn't underestimate its power.

It's gonna take more than who we're already seen to take him down. Captain Marvel and Adam Warlock would be a good place to start tipping the scales in the direction of heroes' victory.

Edit: And we have literally half of the heroes at the beginning of this story as opposed to IW, so the odds are even worse with what's left. They need more (and more powerful) characters this time around.

Thanos was also on the ropes on Titan -- the implication was that, if not for Star-Lord's foolishness, they might have gotten the gauntlet off his hand.  Thanos vs. everyone (even just the "everyone" that's left after the snap), especially if the gauntlet is now damaged, should be an even match.

4 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Thanos was also on the ropes on Titan -- the implication was that, if not for Star-Lord's foolishness, they might have gotten the gauntlet off his hand.  Thanos vs. everyone (even just the "everyone" that's left after the snap), especially if the gauntlet is now damaged, should be an even match.

Without some of the most powerful Avengers? Doctor Strange, Vision, Spider-Man..? Not a freaking chance in hell. 

In case we've forgotten who's left: The Original 6, War Machine, Ant-Man, Rocket, and Nebula. That simply is not enough.

Thor and Hulk are really the only special guys on that roster - biologically. They need Captain Marvel and more (Adam Warlock :wishluck:).

Edited by TwoPiece

15 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

They do not really need more heroes. In IW the heroes were divided, and the group on Titan almost took him down.  Next the final fight will happen after the resurrection of many of the characters that are currently dust.  The final defeat will not and should not just count on muscle.  Captian Marvel and Warlock at this point would just be muscle.

1 minute ago, drotto said:

They do not really need more heroes. In IW the heroes were divided, and the group on Titan almost took him down.  Next the final fight will happen after the resurrection of many of the characters that are currently dust.  The final defeat will not and should not just count on muscle.  Captian Marvel and Warlock at this point would just be muscle.

You're assuming that they're going to resurrect the characters, but we have literally no understanding of how or when that will even happen. Thanos has all 6 stones. He only had 4 on Titan.

The fact that you consider Danvers and Warlock "just muscle" forces me to back out of this discussion. They are far beyond the actual "muscle" of Captain America. They have power.

WUT!!!  People, whoever they bring in has to be able to carry onto the next phase of the MCU.  Adam Warlock is a GOTG movie character.

They're bringing in the Silver Surfer!!!  Why?  Because all comic book nerds know what follows after the Surfer shows up...Galactus...Fantastic Four!  Next phase baby!!!!(thumbsu

11 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Without some of the most powerful Avengers? Doctor Strange, Vision, Spider-Man..? Not a freaking chance in hell. 

In case we've forgotten who's left: The Original 6, War Machine, Ant-Man, Rocket, and Nebula. That simply is not enough.

Thor and Hulk are really the only special guys on that roster - biologically. They need Captain Marvel and more (Adam Warlock :wishluck:).

I love Spider-Man as much as anyone, but calling him one of *the* most powerful Avengers is a huge stretch.

I understand what you mean when you talk about who's "special" -- but IMHO it's Thor and Iron Man (mostly because of his ingenuity) who are "special" from a pure power level standpoint.  The Hulk is just a big brute, and Thanos disposed of him easily once already ... Banner (or a Hulk with Banner's mind) is far more dangerous to Thanos than a dumb version of the Hulk.  The lack of magical / alternative power sets that Doctor Strange, Scarlet Witch, and Mantis would bring is definitely a problem -- among the remaining heroes, only Thor (and of course Captain Marvel) can lay claim to powers that align more on that magical / cosmic scale.

With all of that said, I would never ever underestimate Nebula.  You just know that she (and possibly a resurrected or never-dead-in-the-first-place Gamora) will figure largely in Thanos' defeat somehow.

And finally, it would be a sin to ignore what Steve Rogers / Captain America can do.  At the end of the day, his "superpower" lies in the strength of his character, his moral authority, and his willingness to sacrifice -- there is no doubt in my mind that the writers will lean heavily on those qualities to get across the tried-and-true lesson about what real power is.  Captain America has always been a one-man antidote to the idea that might makes right, and I expect that to be a major theme of the movie.

19 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

You're assuming that they're going to resurrect the characters, but we have literally no understanding of how or when that will even happen. Thanos has all 6 stones. He only had 4 on Titan.

The fact that you consider Danvers and Warlock "just muscle" forces me to back out of this discussion. They are far beyond the actual "muscle" of Captain America. They have power.

But you are coming from a comic knowledge basis, not a movie MCU fan who knows nothing of Captian Marvel or Warlock.  Comic fans know that both characters have the potential to be uber powerful, but to just movie fans do not have this knowledge.  General movie fans will see them just as muscle, establishing other characteristics and powers takes time and character development. At this point, Warlock especially, have nothing else estiblished.

Plus we know some characters will be coming back.  Both Spider Man and Black Panther have movies announced.  This does not mean all will be back, but the ones key to winning will be. 

Captian Marvel is fine as a piece to the puzzle, but she can not be the end all piece, or be the one that solo wins the day. In my mind that would destroy the last 10 years.

Edited by drotto

5 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I love Spider-Man as much as anyone, but calling him one of *the* most powerful Avengers is a huge stretch.

I understand what you mean when you talk about who's "special" -- but IMHO it's Thor and Iron Man (mostly because of his ingenuity) who are "special" from a pure power level standpoint.  The Hulk is just a big brute, and Thanos disposed of him easily once already ... Banner (or a Hulk with Banner's mind) is far more dangerous to Thanos than a dumb version of the Hulk.  The lack of magical / alternative power sets that Doctor Strange, Scarlet Witch, and Mantis would bring is definitely a problem -- among the remaining heroes, only Thor (and of course Captain Marvel) can lay claim to powers that align more on that magical / cosmic scale.

With all of that said, I would never ever underestimate Nebula.  You just know that she (and possibly a resurrected or never-dead-in-the-first-place Gamora) will figure largely in Thanos' defeat somehow.

And finally, it would be a sin to ignore what Steve Rogers / Captain America can do.  At the end of the day, his "superpower" lies in the strength of his character, his moral authority, and his willingness to sacrifice -- there is no doubt in my mind that the writers will lean heavily on those qualities to get across the tried-and-true lesson about what real power is.  Captain America has always been a one-man antidote to the idea that might makes right, and I expect that to be a major theme of the movie.

Spider-Man has Cap's strength, character and moral, and then some. Cap is not special, and as we saw in both Civil War and Infinity War, he's detrimental to the success of the greater good because of his selfishness. Let's hope he learned a thing or two from The Decimation that he was directly a cause of.

I'm not going to dissect the rest of your reply, because we have fundamental differences in opinion. Regardless - Captain Marvel is going to make a difference. And IMO should.

10 minutes ago, drotto said:

But you are coming from a comic knowledge basis, not a movie MCU fan who knows nothing of Captian Marvel or Warlock.  Comic fans know that both characters have the potential to be uber powerful, but to just movie fans do not have this knowledge.  General movie fans will see them just as muscle, establishing other characteristics and powers takes time and character development. At this point, Warlock especially, have nothing else estiblished.

All I care about is comic book fans' perspectives. I couldn't care less about general audiences at this point. Comic book movies should be made for comic book fans. That's the end of my debate there.