• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, nearmint said:

No doubt that she could have presented her point in a much better way, but anyone calling her racist, I think, is overreacting.

I just think she comes across as arrogant and judgmental.  Which is kinda par for the course in Hollywood.  She just rubs me the wrong way.

With that said I am still at 90% plus I will end up seeing this in the theater, but the excitement level is not there for me at this point.

Plus, the marketing focusing so much on gender by Marvel just feels forced, because the premise is not new at this point, just Marvel is inexplicably late to the game. It feels like they are trying to atone for their previous short comings ( despite the fact Scarlet Witch, Gamora, and Black Widow have been central). There is really no justification for not doing a female Marvel movie earlier, and Black Widow was the obvious choice (regardless of the fact she is getting a movie now apparently). We have had many female led heroes flims at this point; Ridley, Wonder Woman, Sara Connors, etc. So this is not new ground, just new for them.

3 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Here's her actual quote:

"I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color.

Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I am not. What I am saying is if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie, and review your movie."

The nerve of herlol.

Can't wait for this movie!  Only a few weeks away.  Haven't been to the theater since Aquaman and Spiderverse.

15 minutes ago, drotto said:

Plus, the marketing focusing so much on gender by Marvel just feels forced, because the premise is not new at this point, just Marvel is inexplicably late to the game. 

The marketing is focused so much on gender? Am I missing something?

I realize she IS a female, I just haven’t noticed the ads going over board with that...

example?

18 hours ago, nearmint said:

She's supporting more diversity among film critics.  I don't think that makes her a racist.  Or a pig.

14 hours ago, Tobbes Serier said:

Thats one way to put it. Another way is: She’s excluding reviewers bases on their skin colors and genders instead of their merits and thats not good for the audience that wants a fair and a non-biased  information.

Years ago, there was a review of a Star Trek movie in Entertainment Weekly that began with the phrase "I've never been a Star Trek fan...".  I stopped reading the review at that point.  As a non-fan, this reviewer didn't have the basic knowledge to write a review that would have any significance for me, whether they liked the movie or not. 

I think Larson is saying that the 82% of reviews written by white people, as well-written as they may be, might not have the basic foundation to write about the life experience of an African-American girl.  I think that's an argument worthy of discussion.

12 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I realize she IS a female, I just haven’t noticed the ads going over board with that...

example?

The Super Bowl TV spot was a little too "girl power" for me.

Outside of that, I don't think it's been pushy. Some people think the "Her - A Hero" thing was/is too much, but I think it's cool.

7 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

example?

Highighting the her in hero in each trailer.  Releasing on international Woman's day. The first line in the last trailer was showing the boys how you do things. Having her stand up as the only woman in a line of men.  There are more. 

Marvel is clearly trying to emulate the marketing they were very successful at with Black Panther, but here stressing the female aspect.  I can't fault them ( and may prove to be a very smart tactic) , it was massively successful with Black Panther

Any and every time a person's gender, skin color, or any other immutable characteristic becomes part of the discussion, regardless of your position, regardless of where you're coming from, regardless of where you stand, you have lost the argument.

It is long past time we stopped considering anyone's opinions...for bad OR good...based on what they look like.

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Any and every time a person's gender, skin color, or any other immutable characteristic becomes part of the discussion, regardless of your position, regardless of where you're coming from, regardless of where you stand, you have lost the argument.

It is long past time we stopped considering anyone's opinions...for bad OR good...based on what they look like.

But... What if my opinion identifies as a lobster?

This isn't the first time (or last) a celebrity will speak out about "controversial" topics.  The only thing I ask is that they make a well thought out argument (whether I agree with it or not).

Marlon Brando on why he declined the Oscar for "Godfather".  Well thought out and presented.  Back then thinking like this was controversial.  Great video...

28 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

This isn't the first time (or last) a celebrity will speak out about "controversial" topics.  The only thing I ask is that they make a well thought out argument (whether I agree with it or not).

Marlon Brando on why he declined the Oscar for "Godfather".  Well thought out and presented.  Back then thinking like this was controversial.  Great video...

Yes, great video and just to piggyback off it:

2 hours ago, nearmint said:

I don't think she's saying that at all.  She's merely asking for a more balanced representation.  She's saying the white male view is over-represented.

No. If she asked for a balanced representation I've been with her 110%. She was demanding representation based on race and gender. The only way to meet her demands is to exclude people based on their race and gender.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brie_Larson

"she became one of the first actors to incorporate an inclusion rider provision in her film and press tour contracts"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclusion_rider

I don't think she is a rasist or a sexist in her heart or in her personal life, but her action is.

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Calling for everyone to just stop talking about it isn’t going to make racism or sexism go away.

I’ve worked in and around and temporarily FOR business’ in the last few years that say things like, “We need to cut down on the number of blacks we hire” or “we have too many Latinos we need to hire more white people” or even “It’s getting too dark in here (wink, wink).

Thats privileged corporate speak.  

To back off the conversation of race is to simply accept that the dominant majority has won and can no longer be challenged. 

Having listened and read different thoughts and conversations about these topics over the years it’s allowed myself to understand motivations and conditioning I had that I didn’t even realize. And even more importantly, to change some of those things to make me a better and more tolerant person  

The world won’t be a better place by eliminating these conversations - the day I can walk down a street at night and not automatically cross to the other side when I see a young black man approach or when a black man can walk down the street at night and not automatically fear a white cop walking toward him - THAT will be when we’re making progress.

Edited by Chuck Gower

4 minutes ago, Tobbes Serier said:

No. If she asked for a balanced representation I've been with her 110%. She was demanding representation based on race and gender. The only way to meet her demands is to exclude people based on their race and gender.

You see it as exclusion.  I see it as inclusion. 

I don't know the details of her inclusion rider, but if she's asking for 50% male, 50% female, and equal representation of races, I have a hard time seeing that as exclusion. 

10 minutes ago, Tobbes Serier said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brie_Larson

"she became one of the first actors to incorporate an inclusion rider provision in her film and press tour contracts"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclusion_rider

I don't think she is a rasist or a sexist in her heart or in her personal life, but her action is.

Asking for EQUAL representation is racist and sexist?

1 minute ago, Chuck Gower said:

Calling for everyone to just talking about it isn’t going to make racism or sexism go away.

I’ve worked in and around and temporarily FOR business’ in the last few years that say things like, “We need to cut down on the number of blacks we hire” or “we have too many Latinos we need to hire more white people” or even “It’s getting too dark in here (wink, wink).

Thats privileged corporate speak.  

To back off the conversation of race is to simply accept that the dominant majority has won and can no longer be challenged. 

Having listened and read different thoughts and conversations about these topics over the years it’s allowed myself to understand motivations and conditioning I had that I didn’t even realize. And even more importantly, to change some of those things to make me a better and more tolerant person  

The world won’t be a better place by eliminating these conversations - the day I can walk down a street at night and not automatically cross to the other side when I see a young black man approach or when a black man can walk down the street at night and not automatically fear a white cop walking toward him - THAT will be when we’re making progress.

This is where you and I disagree, my friend.

I'm not calling on anyone to "not talk about it." (although Morgan Freeman made a damn fine argument to do just that a while back.)

I'm saying that if you consider someone's perspective MORE or LESS valid because of what they look like....you're the racist.