• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This is where you and I disagree, my friend.

I'm not calling on anyone to "not talk about it." (although Morgan Freeman made a damn fine argument to do just that a while back.)

I'm saying that if you consider someone's perspective MORE or LESS valid because of what they look like....you're the racist. 

I can’t give you the same perspective on being a black man in America as a black man can. 

I’ve lived in a country where I’m a minority and I still can’t tell you what it’s like to be a black man in America anywhere near as well as a black man could tell you. 

5 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

I can’t give you the same perspective on being a black man in America as a black man can. 

I’ve lived in a country where I’m a minority and I still can’t tell you what it’s like to be a black man in America anywhere near as well as a black man could tell you. 

Neither can a black man who grew up in Thailand.

Skin color does not bestow perspective.

Experience does.

Just now, nearmint said:

You see it as exclusion.  I see it as inclusion. 

I don't know the details of her inclusion rider, but if she's asking for 50% male, 50% female, and equal representation of races, I have a hard time seeing that as exclusion. 

Not again... it's not asking it's a demanding.

If they have to exclude a number of white men in order to meet her demand it's exclusion. Or do you think they just hire some extra black women to meet her demands?

Two wrong don't make one right. If the media companies from the beginning didn't exclude minorities and women it would be inclusion. To make a second  exclusion on men and majorities make it two exclusions, not one inclusion. The result in numbers might be the same, but it's still exclusion based on race and gender. Two wrong don't make one right.

1 minute ago, Tobbes Serier said:

If they have to exclude a number of white men in order to meet her demand it's exclusion. Or do you think they just hire some extra black women to meet her demands?

Two wrong don't make one right. If the media companies from the beginning didn't exclude minorities and women it would be inclusion. To make a second  exclusion on men and majorities make it two exclusions, not one inclusion. The result in numbers might be the same, but it's still exclusion based on race and gender. Two wrong don't make one right.

It’s called reverse discrimination. It’s a real thing, but nobody cares about it...nor are you allowed to talk about it without being called a racist.

I’m sure I just offended someone, go ahead...attack me, prove me right. :whistle:

To bring this back to a slightly different topic.  Predictions? How is this film going to do? 

At this point I see it performing at the high end of Marvel Origin movies, but not blowing away everything like Black Panther did.  I think 90 to 100 million opening weekend. Doing about 300 million domestic and ending with a grand total between 650 and 700 million. There might be more ceiling there, but kinda fun to guess.

53 minutes ago, nearmint said:

You see it as exclusion.  I see it as inclusion. 

I don't know the details of her inclusion rider, but if she's asking for 50% male, 50% female, and equal representation of races, I have a hard time seeing that as exclusion. 

18 minutes ago, Tobbes Serier said:

Most media organizations employ a wide spectrum of race and gender, so no, I don't believe they'd have to hire someone to meet Larson's demands. 

You and I clearly won't agree on whether it's inclusion or exclusion. 

38 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Asking for EQUAL representation is racist and sexist?

Not asking, demanding.

Even demanding equal representation is good, as long as it doesn't mean that you have to exclude people based on race and gender. How would that happen? Employing more people?

I think "EQUAL representation" is rasist, if you don't consider merits. For example I would consider it be rasist to demand that only 1,4% of movie makers and journalist should be jews, even thou that would be "EQUAL representation". 

A demand of not discriminating based on race and gender, only to employ based on merits. That would have been something everybody would have benefited from in the long run.

40 minutes ago, Tobbes Serier said:

Not asking, demanding.

Even demanding equal representation is good, as long as it doesn't mean that you have to exclude people based on race and gender. How would that happen? Employing more people?

I think "EQUAL representation" is rasist, if you don't consider merits. For example I would consider it be rasist to demand that only 1,4% of movie makers and journalist should be jews, even thou that would be "EQUAL representation". 

A demand of not discriminating based on race and gender, only to employ based on merits. That would have been something everybody would have benefited from in the long run.

You don’t seem to understand: as the STAR of a production that a company is banking on for HER to make a success, SHE gets a choice on who is hired for the project. 

Prviously some white male executive in the studio might make those decisions. 

Shes using her star power to employ someone who might previously not gotten an opportunity. She’s not UNemploying anyone. It’s the team put together for this movie. 

Her having a say in that isn’t racist or sexist, it’s her specific preference. Many people in Hollywood use friends or people they’ve previously worked with for most ALL of their movies. That doesn’t UNemployee someone, it just puts who they want in that specific job for the movie. 

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Neither can a black man who grew up in Thailand.

Skin color does not bestow perspective.

Experience does.

Why would a black man who grew up in Thailand be trying to explain to me what it’s like to be a black man in America?

A black man IN America can tell me more about what it’s like to be a black man in America than someone who isn’t. I don’t think that’s all that much of a stretch to see. 

The color of his skin IS a factor that has to go along with his geographic location to make it effective, but it’s still necessary for him to black for it all to be true. His skin color plays a part. 

2 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

You don’t seem to understand: as the STAR of a production that a company is banking on for HER to make a success, SHE gets a choice on who is hired for the project. 

Shes using her star power to employ someone who might previously not gotten an opportunity. She’s not UNemploying anyone. It’s the team put together for this movie. 

Her having a say in that isn’t racist or sexist, it’s her specific preference. Many people in Hollywood use friends or people they’ve previously worked with for most ALL of their movies. That doesn’t UNemployee someone, it just puts who they want in that specific job for the movie. 

She's a "star"? I heard Gal Gadot made 300K for Wonder Woman which I would think is a bigger property than Captain Marvel and she didn't get points either.

I could be wrong but I doubt Brie Larson gets that kind of juice...now if it's successful enough for a sequel that's a different story.

Edited by Logan510

20 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

Yes I do understand, she can demand who she will work with and it is based on race and gender. Therefore it's rasism and sexism.

If she put up a rule that only so or so many % would be allowed to be of this or that race or gender, she will exclude many.

It's racism to exclude people based on race, it's sexism to exclude people based on gender and that is just what she's doing.

Edited by Tobbes Serier
change word

33 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

She's a "star"? I head Gal Gadot made 300K for Wonder Woman which I would think is a bigger property than Captain Marvel and she didn't get points either.

I could be wrong but I doubt Brie Larson gets that kind of juice...now if it's successful enough for a sequel that's a different story.

Maybe not a star in the sense of a Jennifer Lawrence..But she’s a marketable actress with 3 movies over $100 million domestic and an Academy Award. They’re getting her at the right time. 

22 minutes ago, Tobbes Serier said:

Yes I do understand, she can demand who she will work with and it is based on race and gender. Therefore it's rasism and sexism.

If she put up a rule that only so or so many % would be allowed to be of this or that race or gender, she will exclude many.

It's racism to exclude people based on race, it's sexism to exclude people based on gender and that is just what she's doing.

It’s spelled ‘racism’. 

And it’s not racism to demand equality. Your definition is wrong. 

33 minutes ago, Chuck Gower said:

It’s spelled ‘racism’. 

And it’s not racism to demand equality. Your definition is wrong. 

No it's not racism to demand equality and I never said so, but it is to exclude people based on there race (if that was the case).

My spelling depends on I'm not from an English speaking country, but I does my best.

I'm finished with it all for now. It seems to be a storm in a water-glass. At least the template was were very vague and doesn't have any specific numbers for representation. Just a clause that that the author (Dr. Stacy L. Smith) should be the judge of how well the studio succeed. I don't suspect Bries rider is much different and I don't think it will be public. The template doesn't mention interviews, but I don't have any reason to suspect that part of it to be harder.

http://assets.uscannenberg.org.s3.amazonaws.com/docs/inclusion-rider-template.pdf

P.S.

Im happy Brie didn't act racist.

26 minutes ago, Tobbes Serier said:

No it's not racism to demand equality and I never said so, but it is to exclude people based on there race (if that was the case).

She’s NOT excluding anyone because their race. She’s just making sure that those who AREN’T male and white also are a part of it. 

She’ll still have plenty of white males on the production - she’s just making sure that there are ALSO just as many ‘other’ races and sexes and even handicap people who have jobs as well. 

2 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Maybe not a star in the sense of a Jennifer Lawrence..But she’s a marketable actress with 3 movies over $100 million domestic and an Academy Award. They’re getting her at the right time. 

My bad, I was not aware she was an Academy Award winner. She probably does have the juice to influence decisions.

I've liked her in what I've seen her in, never saw Room though hm