• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

It’s spelled ‘racism’. 

And it’s not racism to demand equality. Your definition is wrong. 

He spelled it right the second time but you are correct it is not racism but it sure is discrimination. Affirmative action IS discrimination disguised as seeking equality. When someone less qualified is given a job over someone because of race or gender that is by definition discrimination. When a black person gets into Harvard over an asian person (still a minority) with less college entrance scores that is discrimination acting like equality for diversity sake. That's wrong and so is what she is suggesting. 

I was not born 7 feet tall. Should I claim that the NBA should be equal and allow me to play as a 5'8" white guy who isn't as good because it is mainly blacks in the league? No. 

I for one will skip the film. It's already getting rave review from critics and I'm pretty sure it's the BP effect all over. An average imo movie at best given great reviews because of it's diversity. The fact that a lot of them poo poo on all other marvel movies while propping thee two movies up says it all to me. If she is going to play the political game two can play that and I'll sit home. 

Edited by ianh

2 hours ago, ianh said:

Affirmative action IS discrimination disguised as seeking equality. When someone less qualified is given a job over someone because of race or gender that is by definition discrimination.

You're proceeding from the assumption that the white folks who were hired are more qualified than the Black/Asian/Hispanics who weren't. 

1 minute ago, nearmint said:

You're proceeding from the assumption that the white folks who were hired are more qualified than the Black/Asian/Hispanics who weren't. 

Do we have any reason to think otherwise? This entire conversation is kinda meaningless.

I just hope they don't push hard on the, "she's special because she's a she" aspect in the movie. Give me any and every other reason to care about Carol Danvers other than the fact that she's a female. I want to watch a compelling character. :wishluck:

I thought Black Panther did well not to push the, "characters are special because they're black" angle too much. They went more for culture and equality as a whole, rather than just someone's skin color.

7 minutes ago, nearmint said:

2 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Do we have any reason to think otherwise?

In a perfect world, no.  But we don't live in a perfect world.

Treating people differently...positively or negatively, for good or for ill...based on nothing other than their skin color is racism. It is what the word means, how it is defined. It doesn't matter who, it doesn't matter why. Actual equality is treating everyone based on the content of their character and their ability...not what they look like. This is disbelieved by many, many people in 2019, but treating others differently because of what they look like harms the entire society, little by little. It hurts those who lose out, and it hurts the beneficiaries.

2 minutes ago, nearmint said:

In a perfect world, no.  But we don't live in a perfect world.

We never will, either.

I just don't see the point in arguing that there could be something better than what is. Y'know? Brie's POV is speculating based on an unknown commodity, while discriminating against the known commodity. I can't side with her on this one.

Despite her poor judgment, or comments, I'm going to see Captain Marvel at least a couple of times. I just hope it's as good as every other movie not named The Incredible Hulk and GotG Vol 2.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

We never will, either.

I just don't see the point in arguing that there could be something better than what is. Y'know?

I can't relate to that at all.  Should slaves not have sought freedom?  Should women not have sought the vote?  Should the black community not have sought equal rights?  There are many more examples throughout history.

Should they just have accepted "what is", and not dreamed of what "could be"?

14 minutes ago, nearmint said:
2 hours ago, ianh said:

Affirmative action IS discrimination disguised as seeking equality. When someone less qualified is given a job over someone because of race or gender that is by definition discrimination.

That is not correct, and faulty argumentation. He's not starting with an assumption, he's starting with a definition. He didn't say "if" they were less qualified...he said "when."

Just now, nearmint said:

I can't relate to that at all.  Should slaves not have sought freedom?  Should women not have sought the vote?  Should the black community not have sought equal rights?  There are many more examples throughout history.

Should they just have accepted "what is", and not dreamed of what "could be"?

Whoa there, cowboy, you're really taking this straw-man to the extreme. I'll just see myself out from this ridiculousness.

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

That is not correct, and faulty argumentation. He's not starting with an assumption, he's starting with a definition. He didn't say "if" they were less qualified...he said "when."

And, by the way, specified no race in that statement...

2 hours ago, ianh said:

Affirmative action IS discrimination disguised as seeking equality. When someone less qualified is given a job over someone because of race or gender that is by definition discrimination.

27 minutes ago, nearmint said:

4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

He's staying home from the movie because he thinks Larson is playing political games, so this is clearly, in his mind, a "when" situation, not an "if".

Just now, RockMyAmadeus said:

I was referring to the specific comment and response. I don't think Ianh's position is being correctly interpreted.

I should have quoted his entire post to give the full context.

1 minute ago, nearmint said:
4 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I was referring to the specific comment and response. I don't think Ianh's position is being correctly interpreted.

I should have quoted his entire post to give the full context.

I don't think context is the issue. No matter; these things can't really be discussed here in much depth anyways. :)

23 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Treating people differently...positively or negatively, for good or for ill...based on nothing other than their skin color is racism. It is what the word means, how it is defined. It doesn't matter who, it doesn't matter why. Actual equality is treating everyone based on the content of their character and their ability...not what they look like. This is disbelieved by many, many people in 2019, but treating others differently because of what they look like harms the entire society, little by little. It hurts those who lose out, and it hurts the beneficiaries.

But how do you define someone's ability when it comes to art?  If I can make 100 widgets in a day, and someone else makes only 50, it can logically be said that I'm more qualified to make widgets.  But what makes a white writer more qualified than a black writer to interview an actress at a press junket for a movie whose protagonist is a young black girl?