• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CAPTAIN MARVEL starring Brie Larson (3/8/19)
5 5

2,795 posts in this topic

On 2/11/2019 at 6:51 AM, Unca Ben said:

Looks to me like a fun MCU movie, I bet it does really well. Maybe not Black Panther well, but we will see.
I like the idea of more powerful female characters in the MCU.  If I want nothing but a bunch of sweaty men in tights duking it out all the time, I can watch Championship Wrestling.

I agree! Looks like a fun movie, and I've yet to see a Brie Larson role I did not like. 

3 hours ago, nearmint said:

She's supporting more diversity among film critics.  I don't think that makes her a racist.  Or a pig.

Thats one way to put it. Another way is: She’s excluding reviewers bases on their skin colors and genders instead of their merits and thats not good for the audience that wants a fair and a non-biased  information.

3 hours ago, nearmint said:

She's supporting more diversity among film critics.  I don't think that makes her a racist.  Or a pig.

But she has said she does not care about the opinions of white me on several occasions. Followed up by the generally hollow qualification, that she does not hate white men.

I can not read people's minds, but usually not the smartest comments to make when that group is about 50% of your audience for you upcoming movie.

1 hour ago, drotto said:

But she has said she does not care about the opinions of white me on several occasions. Followed up by the generally hollow qualification, that she does not hate white men.

Her comments that I’ve read were more specific than that.  Saying, for example, that she doesn’t care about the opinions of white men in regards to A Wrinkle in Time, a film whose protagonist is an African American girl.  Right or wrong, it’s a topic worthy of discussion.  

6 hours ago, Oddball said:

What if she had said she didn’t care about the opinions of black men in regards to her film Free Fire where all the leads are white? 

Personally I don’t believe she is racist based on a few foolish comments. That’s ridiculous. She does come across as a white apologist sometimes.

I think with some of her public comments people are over-reacting to her statements.

Kind of like when she posted a picture to note she was reflecting on Stan Lee's passing. Because she was kicking back with a drink, folks took offense leading to her pulling down the post.

brielarson01.png

Edited by Bosco685

10 hours ago, drotto said:

I can not read people's minds, but usually not the smartest comments to make when that group is about 50% of your audience for you upcoming movie.

Yes, but 95% of that 50% could care less.

Here's her actual quote:

"I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color.

Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I am not. What I am saying is if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie, and review your movie."

45 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think with some of her public comments people are over-reacting to her statements.

Kind of like when she posted a picture to note she was reflecting on Stan Lee's passing. Because she was kicking back with a drink, folks took offense leading to her pulling down the post.

brielarson01.png

Agreed. I take no offense at all to that pic above, why should I? It does appear to be more about Brie than Stan though but whatever. 

21 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't care about stupid comments made by Larson. As long as she's good in the movie - that's all I care about. If she steps over the line, well, we've seen that Disney isn't opposed to making changes to fix PR.

Yup, there are actors I found incredibly ignorant or pretentious after watching interviews that caused me to generally dislike the person. Won’t stop me from watching them because they are at least excellent in their craft on screen. 

8 minutes ago, Oddball said:

Yup, there are actors I found incredibly ignorant or pretentious after watching interviews that caused me to generally dislike the person. Won’t stop me from watching them because they are at least excellent in their craft on screen. 

Christian Bale is a certified psychopath and I doubt anyone stopped watching or started disliking TDK trilogy because of that.

At best Brie Larson is proving incredibly tone-deaf in the way she fashions her statements. Would have been much more productive to simply state she wanted more diversity in film reviewers for her movie rather than singling a race and gender to attack. At worst, she is advocating for some sort of cultural segregation in which only certain groups can review certain films. Most likely she is just young, naive, and on social media. I doubt anyone who seriously planned to see this movie will change their plans as a result of her comments.

9 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

At worst, she is advocating for some sort of cultural segregation in which only certain groups can review certain films.

I don't think she's saying that at all.  She's merely asking for a more balanced representation.  She's saying the white male view is over-represented.

Just now, nearmint said:

I don't think she's saying that at all.  She's merely asking for a more balanced representation.  She's saying the white male view is over-represented.

I did qualify that as "At worst".