• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books you just cant find in the Wild
22 22

4,489 posts in this topic

Joe Mama!!!

:facepalm:

Somebody didn't have trouble finding these:

Bloodshot #51

Maybe those were the result of years of hunting? Anyway, there are 6 raw copies on ebay right now, it's not like it doesn't exist.

Yup, probably all of the books in this thread can be found on eBay.

Link for Scandals?

There's only one person that seems to care about that book.

Shadowman 43 was an early cancellation I believe with a pretty high print run for a last issue. Not one that people tend to chase like Solar 60 Magnus 64, and BS51. Shadowman 43 is similar to Eternal Warrior 50 and Harbinger 41 (whatever the last issue is) in that regard.

I chase some of those late/last issues in Newsstand variants for fun.

Joe Mama!!!

Bloodshot #51

Maybe those were the result of years of hunting? Anyway, there are 6 raw copies on ebay right now, it's not like it doesn't exist.

I looked at one yesterday at a shop on a buying trip. They wanted $40 for it and called it a variant. I passed.(It wasn't a newsstand either.)

$40, if it was in nice shape, is actually a pretty good price based on recent ebay sales.

I agree. 9.6+ is not easy. But if it was 9.0ish like most, I may have passed as well.

$250 each for 3 9.8s was pretty darn good.

Knowing the shop I would be lucky if it was 9.0

Joe Mama!!!

Bloodshot #51

I didn't think "the wild" was eBay. I thought it was a comic shop. You can find anything eventually on eBay.

That's pretty much the point. I mean you can pay top dollar on ebay and get about 90% of these books fairly quick.

Now if you found it in a huge pile of drek that you didn't pay much for then it fits here I think.

This thread wouldn't be 90 pages by now if some attention wasn't getting paid to it.

Joe Mama!!!

Bloodshot #51

Link for Scandals?

I'd pay well for one, especially stabbed. I suspect a fair number of others would, too.

Joe Mama!!!

Bloodshot #51

Link for Scandals?

I'd pay well for one, especially stabbed. I suspect a fair number of others would, too.

I suspect otherwise.

(shrug)

Joe Mama!!!

Bloodshot #51

Link for Scandals?

I spoke with one of the writers from that issue today and he said it was published in 1999 and the cover by Adam Hughes was supposed to have been used for an Innovation comic in 1993, so it was early Hughes. The writer does still have his one comp copy of Scandals. He said distribution was very poor.

The main thing that turns me off about the color is the horrible coloring.

Looking up Thorby Comics other few books, one is Santa Claws, a reprint of Mike deodato's first work with Eternity. Got me thinking that maybe they bought a few things from Eternity. Then I was thinking about what Eternity is known for, Evil Ernie and Lady Death. The coloring definitely looks like Lady death art by artist Stephen Hughes.

The signature looks similar to Hughes other early work with Innovation on Maze agency. The actual art does not look the same quality to me though.

Shadowman 43 was an early cancellation I believe with a pretty high print run for a last issue. Not one that people tend to chase like Solar 60 Magnus 64, and BS51. Shadowman 43 is similar to Eternal Warrior 50 and Harbinger 41 (whatever the last issue is) in that regard.

I was putting together a nice batch of the Valiant newsstands for awhile. Found multiple Magnus 64 and one or two Solar 60 but never a BS 51. The other titles such as Harbinger, Eternal Warrior, Shadowman didn't have newsstand versions. Ninjak and the Visitor were the other two titles with newsstand issues but the last issues on those titles are not sought after either.

Joe Mama!!!

Bloodshot #51

Link for Scandals?

Right. Because people don't know how rare it is. So, if someone's claiming that it's available, I'd like to see where. If it's not available, it's just possible that some people out there collect Adam Hughes rarities and might be interested to know about it. Or are we not supposed to post new information unless people already care about it, in which case it's not new?

The main thing that turns me off about the color is the horrible coloring.

Looking up Thorby Comics other few books, one is Santa Claws, a reprint of Mike deodato's first work with Eternity. Got me thinking that maybe they bought a few things from Eternity. Then I was thinking about what Eternity is known for, Evil Ernie and Lady Death. The coloring definitely looks like Lady death art by artist Stephen Hughes.

The signature looks similar to Hughes other early work with Innovation on Maze agency. The actual art does not look the same quality to me though.

Compare it with other early books from Hughes (like New Frontiers #2, or Xxxenophile TPB #2, or Legion of Super-heroes Annual #1 from 1990) and you'll see the stylistic similarities... you're right that it's definitely along way from his current style, though.

Right. Because people don't know how rare it is. So, if someone's claiming that it's available, I'd like to see where. If it's not available, it's just possible that some people out there collect Adam Hughes rarities and might be interested to know about it. Or are we not supposed to post new information unless people already care about it, in which case it's not new?

Yes, thank you for posting this book. I don't think most of us had heard about or seen it before.

I'll say this every time like a broken record, rarity or relative rarity does not mean anything. Supply < demand is all that matters. Hughes has tons of early work that nobody seems to care about because it is not the style or quality of work that made him popular today.

OK, thanks. I haven't seen anyone that has a physical copy verify that though, per my previous comments about the art style. Sounds like it is Adam vs. Stephen though.

Joe Mama!!!

Bloodshot #51

I didn't think "the wild" was eBay. I thought it was a comic shop. You can find anything eventually on eBay.

That's pretty much the point. I mean you can pay top dollar on ebay and get about 90% of these books fairly quick.

Now if you found it in a huge pile of drek that you didn't pay much for then it fits here I think.

This thread wouldn't be 90 pages by now if some attention wasn't getting paid to it.

My point was that the poster was pointing to the sale of some slabs as some sort of indication (I guess?) that this was an easy book because someone owned, and sold, 3 9.8 slabs. i don't think it means all that much other than someone hunted them down and slabbed them and then sold them for some good money. nobody was saying the book isn't out there.

Edited by the blob

I was putting together a nice batch of the Valiant newsstands for awhile. Found multiple Magnus 64 and one or two Solar 60 but never a BS 51. The other titles such as Harbinger, Eternal Warrior, Shadowman didn't have newsstand versions. Ninjak and the Visitor were the other two titles with newsstand issues but the last issues on those titles are not sought after either.

Likewise I have small group of collectors I contact when I find them. I pass on the book for a modest profit and everyone wins. I have no problem selling them unless they are really beat up. Ive never seen a BS 51 either. I have found the price variants thought that was a nice find for Visitor.

Never found a late Magnus yet, but I keep looking. Its like looking for Whitmans and price variants and almost as hard. I don't find them very often. High grade is very very hard. I rarely find them better then VF.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Yes, thank you for posting this book. I don't think most of us had heard about or seen it before.

I'll say this every time like a broken record, rarity or relative rarity does not mean anything. Supply < demand is all that matters. Hughes has tons of early work that nobody seems to care about because it is not the style or quality of work that made him popular today.

OK, thanks. I haven't seen anyone that has a physical copy verify that though, per my previous comments about the art style. Sounds like it is Adam vs. Stephen though.

Not sure if you didn't read my comment or not, but here it is again: I spoke with one of the creators on the book and the cover is by Adam Hughes and was drawn for Innovation back in 1993 but was sold to Thorby Comics to use in 1999. The friend I spoke with is David Campiti, who is one of the writers on the book and who owned Innovation and hired Hughes to draw the cover in 1993 -- and who sold the cover art to Thorby to use in 1999.

David said that the distribution was terrible, which is why it is so rare. If you look at the creator list for that issue, it is all a lot of the talent that worked at Innovation early in the 1990s.

Likewise I have small group of collectors I contact when I find them. I pass on the book for a modest profit and everyone wins. I have no problem selling them unless they are really beat up. Ive never seen a BS 51 either. I have found the price variants thought that was a nice find for Visitor.

Never found a late Magnus yet, but I keep looking. Its like looking for Whitmans and price variants and almost as hard. I don't find them very often. High grade is very very hard. I rarely find them better then VF.

How could I forget X-O? doh!

It was cool getting newsstands for 50x and 50o but I don't think I found any above 62, let alone the final issue 68.

Not sure if you didn't read my comment or not, but here it is again: I spoke with one of the creators on the book and the cover is by Adam Hughes and was drawn for Innovation back in 1993 but was sold to Thorby Comics to use in 1999. The friend I spoke with is David Campiti, who is one of the writers on the book and who owned Innovation and hired Hughes to draw the cover in 1993 -- and who sold the cover art to Thorby to use in 1999.

David said that the distribution was terrible, which is why it is so rare. If you look at the creator list for that issue, it is all a lot of the talent that worked at Innovation early in the 1990s.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

That's an interesting story. At one point I had a pretty much complete AH collection, but never had or saw one of those. Now I'm trying to rebuild my collection. The hunt is on!