• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This can only be good news...

21 posts in this topic

Agreed - this is a very good sign. The fact that they're willing to admit their imperfections is vital to the success that I personally am confident they will find within the decade.

It does makes a lot of sense having a joint leadership effort between comics and movies supporting these movies. Even better Warner Bros. finally made it clear where Geoff Johns fits in the mix.

:applause:

It is also nice to see WB has basically admitted that BvS made money, but is being viewed as disappointing, and that they are trying to make corrections. Now the article did make it sound like that more than one movie lead to the decision however, so lets not all jump on the forum's favorite whipping movie as the only cause. The few comments about Suicide Squad have me a little worried. They mentioned issues with the third act, and that much possible retooling so late in the game seems like a big risk.

But critics and fans ripped into the first pic and especially Snyder for perceived missteps, including its heroes' unheroic behavior and the dark tone. BvS, which cost at least $300 million to make, has grossed less than $870 million worldwide since its March 25 release. Warners has said the film will be profitable but it was hardly the home run the studio had wanted.

Both of these figures are incorrect - again - from Hollywood Reporter. Originally they were pushing the Latino Review rumor it cost $410 MM budget just to produce the movie. Now it feels like face-saving to keep pushing it was above $250 MM.

But the response to the BvS content certainly drove changes or this news wouldn't be taking place.

And the studio is working to smooth out the third act of Suicide Squad, its big August movie from director David Ayer that could change the perception of its DC line. The pic’s trailers have generated massive positive interest in the all-star actioner that features DC villains, and the studio wants to make sure audiences’ expectations are not only met but exceeded.

Suicide Squad recently underwent major additional photography (multiple sources say it was not to add humor) to clear up the issues. Sources say it was Suicide Squad that escalated Johns’ involvement in DC movies (he was already co-writing the next Batman stand-alone with Affleck), and he is involved in the film’s post-production.

Ayer and others have stated the reshoots was Warner Bros. being more open to additional action in the third act.

Exclusive: David Ayer Explains ‘Suicide Squad’ Reshoots

Writer/director David Ayer took to Twitter last week to assert that the reshoots weren’t to make the movie more “fun” but were instead a vote of confidence from the studio, so when Collider’s own Steve Weintraub got the chance to speak with Ayer yesterday during the Warner Bros. presentation at CinemaCon, he asked the filmmaker about the reshoots and whether it was simply a case of the studio asking Ayer what else he wanted for the film, with Ayer responding that he’d like another set piece:

“That’s kind of it. If they don’t like your movie they tend to not want to invest in it. If they love your movie, they give you what you want. And I don’t think there’s any director that finishes a movie and says, ‘Wow that’s perfect, that’s what I really want it to be.’ Every movie I’ve ever made I wish I could go and grab some additional stuff and that’s exactly the chance I got this time. It’s like getting a new car but you get fancy rims and a new stereo.

Negative press at times gets more attention than the same old 'things are going well' updates, I guess.

i hope they get the Green Lantern universe going.It`s DC`s anchor much more so than Gotham if they are going to make Marvel style big event universe movies.

Also they could try to jump-start the Legion of Superheroes as well.

If DC wants to plat big they need the Green Lantern and Legion universes.

i hope they get the Green Lantern universe going.It`s DC`s anchor much more so than Gotham if they are going to make Marvel style big event universe movies.

Also they could try to jump-start the Legion of Superheroes as well.

If DC wants to plat big they need the Green Lantern and Legion universes.

Or...

Omega Men

Or...

Adam Strange (Mystery In Space series)

Or...

Hawkman

Or...

Lobo

Geoff Johns Wants Hope, Optimism, and Legacy Back at DC Comics

The Hollywood trade THR reported Tuesday that Johns is part of a two-man team that is effectively taking over the DC Movie adaptations for Warner Bros., a report he couldn't comment directly on, but did offer, "you can connect the dots."

Despite some reports, he could not and did not comment on his new position or what goals he theoretically has for it. He did, however, talk extensively about what he hopes for DC Comics, and how he wants Rebirth to be the return of "hope, optimism, and legacy" on their printed page.

Johns knew he'd have to pull back from writing comics at the level he once was (he's gone 17 years straight with a monthly title on the stands, the vast majority of that at DC Comics), simply from his role as Chief Creative Officer at DC Entertainment. He called Rebirth his "love letter" to everything he likes about the superheroes of the DC Universe, and oft-repeated those three words of "hope, optimism, and legacy."

"The compass of hope and optimism is in DC Comics' DNA, and it's important to get those [back] out there," Johns told Comicbook.com. As for Legacy, it's about "moving forward" and allowing "things to evolve."

"I wanted to use this comicbook to say thank you," Johns elaborated, as he wanted to make sure that DC Comics, fans, and even the characters knew how much they meant to him.

"There’s a lot of emotional underpinning of the characters and the stories," he said. "It's not that people take it for granted. They’re just not as aware of it. But when it’s not there, you really feel that emptiness."

Geoff Johns Wants Hope, Optimism, and Legacy Back at DC Comics

The Hollywood trade THR reported Tuesday that Johns is part of a two-man team that is effectively taking over the DC Movie adaptations for Warner Bros., a report he couldn't comment directly on, but did offer, "you can connect the dots."

Despite some reports, he could not and did not comment on his new position or what goals he theoretically has for it. He did, however, talk extensively about what he hopes for DC Comics, and how he wants Rebirth to be the return of "hope, optimism, and legacy" on their printed page.

Johns knew he'd have to pull back from writing comics at the level he once was (he's gone 17 years straight with a monthly title on the stands, the vast majority of that at DC Comics), simply from his role as Chief Creative Officer at DC Entertainment. He called Rebirth his "love letter" to everything he likes about the superheroes of the DC Universe, and oft-repeated those three words of "hope, optimism, and legacy."

"The compass of hope and optimism is in DC Comics' DNA, and it's important to get those [back] out there," Johns told Comicbook.com. As for Legacy, it's about "moving forward" and allowing "things to evolve."

"I wanted to use this comicbook to say thank you," Johns elaborated, as he wanted to make sure that DC Comics, fans, and even the characters knew how much they meant to him.

"There’s a lot of emotional underpinning of the characters and the stories," he said. "It's not that people take it for granted. They’re just not as aware of it. But when it’s not there, you really feel that emptiness."

Not saying DCEU needs to be MCU, OK that is out of the way. It sounds like Johns is not thrilled with the very dystopic doom and gloom DC slant in the movies and to some extent the books right now (TV stuff is generally lighter). I think the TV shows have managed to get a DC feel (ie not Marvel) will giving a much more balanced approach to serious plots, lighter moments, and even some humor. That is what real life is. The TV approach is what they need to bring over to the movie side. I really think He is the man to pull this off.

It's going to be all doom and gloom for years, isn't it?

Batman vs Superman should have been so much better...

Not reaching $1 billion means failure...

Synder couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag...

WB are making drastic changes to save the sinking DC ship...

The Justice League movie could be the best thing since sliced bread and we'll still hear about how bad it was lol

Shake up at WB? Maybe, Hollywoodreporter, but let's see...

Well, yeah.

If Warner Bros. weren't disappointed by BvS, they wouldn't

a) have ordered late-stage re-shoots of Suicide Squad, or

b) made drastic changes to their superhero creative department.

Everything else aside, those two actions are mad telling.

Well, yeah.

If Warner Bros. weren't disappointed by BvS, they wouldn't

a) have ordered late-stage re-shoots of Suicide Squad, or

b) made drastic changes to their superhero creative department.

Everything else aside, those two actions are mad telling.

Well, not really.

a) Has only ever been speculation,

b) Is currently speculation.

The Press love to put a negative spin on things... It's what they do and it's what makes them money. Give me some mad telling evidence and I'll happily believe it.