• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

Huh ... what can I say - WOW. No kidding, it is very interesting you have the various stages of production for the book I just happened to post (which is not an obvious choice). We make a great team at that. Was this sheer luck or do you have more of this stuff? Oh, and by all means, please post a scan of your copy when you can. I'd wager that your copy doesn't have rusty staples like mine.

This scan didn't come out right. The yellow should be pure lemon yellow (just like those little plastic lemons at the grocery store), the pink a rich fuchsia, and the green should be richer.

I use an Epson Perfection 1650, but I'm open to suggestion of scanners that provide truer color reproduction.

771255-SensationMys113.jpg

771255-SensationMys113.jpg.64a99ed7b480f393de84bf61c557a774.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Huh ... what can I say - WOW. No kidding, it is very interesting you have the various stages of production for the book I just happened to post (which is not an obvious choice). We make a great team at that. Was this sheer luck or do you have more of this stuff? Oh, and by all means, please post a scan of your copy when you can. I'd wager that your copy doesn't have rusty staples like mine.

I have a variety of items in the collection, just to keep things interesting, but probably no more than a score of them are pre-production items. So, in that sense, you were "lucky". I really do love that cover and I do have a high-grade copy which, after 40 minutes of searching, I was unable to find. I look again tomorrow. I took advantage of the only opportunities I had to buy the comic and the proofs (separate deals) -- which, because Westerns are "lame", were inexpensive relative to super-heros, good girl and the like.

AS, where do you recommend finding copies of Color Guides and Proofs? Besides at Heritage auctions.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You're making my memory banks work hard.

The biggest chunk of pre-production stuff on the market at one time was Jack Adler's stuff that's been sold on ebay over the past few years. It's mostly 60s and 70s DC comics but includes CYAB strikes, color guides, final proofs -- everything that was sent by the printer to DC for inspection. Somebody should be able to help us with his ebay id -- I know he's based in Mesz, AZ.

Other than that, it doesn't come on the market in large quantities and it's not something that the large dealers stock because it's cheap. I've not picked up much, but I've seen it at any number of conventions, often at smaller dealers. I believe if you put the word out to a dealer you could find material, even from the 50s, fairly quickly. There's definitely a large quantity of LB Cole proofs because he was both artist and publisher and so saved the material. Some other publisher/editor/printer finds have also occurred like the proofs for a lot of Atlas/Marvel books.

Ok, you will either love or hate these next scans. Something totally different. I collected these because my wife and I met in Air Force basic training; therefore we were :

gis32.jpg