• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

A page from the Monk Mauley cover story - Cole combines humor and horror beautifully in this tale of the dead rising from the grave to enact their revenge - that's Plas at the bottom pretending to be Satan in order to send the corpses back to their graves.

Thanks for posting -- it's very enjoyable to have this "virtual comic convention". Only now I'm bummed because I can't read the whole story!!!

I had no idea that the horror spilled over into Plas that significantly. It definitely looks like Cole with the frenetic action/art -- and probably the same inker that did used for Web of Evil.

I'm going to have to start looking into those issues.

Edited by adamstrange

I just realized I have one non-Duck book that fits the criteria for this thread, so I get to join in the fun after all! yay.gif I've got other 10 cent Turoks which fall into the Silver Age which I'll be posting over the next few days in the SA 10 cent thread (shameless plug).

I'm trying a scanner we've got here at work. It's got a much bigger flatbed, so I'm able to scan the whole book, but I can't seem to get rid of the glare. frustrated.gif Anyways, for this particular book I think the glare's not too bad. confused-smiley-013.gif

turok3.jpg

This time period really was very transitional, with a lot of strange hybrid books. Here's an issue of Tip Topper (traditionally a vehicle for UFS strip reprints such as Fritzi Ritz and Lil Abner) with a flying saucer cover: 772940-tt.jpg

772940-tt.jpg.6dd4d227c627db5c72ead2ef81f78a11.jpg

Edited by 143ksk

OK - these Plastic Man books are starting to get me. I never knew the horror elements were so, so PRE-CODE. And Plas is a GA hero title that is in the more affordable range. Time to hit the Gerber tonght. Were these horror type covers over a farily contiguous range of time?

OK - these Plastic Man books are starting to get me. I never knew the horror elements were so, so PRE-CODE. And Plas is a GA hero title that is in the more affordable range. Time to hit the Gerber tonght. Were these horror type covers over a farily contiguous range of time?

Why wait! Just go to the DC Indices. I already pointed you to the Plastic Man page. It seems that they start around 30 and do continue for a while. I'd say 53 but after a certain point (before 53) they already incorporate a Reds / Spy component alternating with Horror.

I posted this in the only graded thread but it fits nicely in this thread.

CaptainJet1.jpg

This publisher, Ajax/Farrell published some nice horror titles like Voodoo, Fantastic Fears, Strange Fantasy, but they also published war and western comics. I've noticed that even some of the small publishers would create a title in each genre like War, Romance, Western, Horror, and Sci Fi, even if they only included 2 or 3 issues. Is there anyone viewing that collects all the issues for one of these small publishers? It sure would make for an interesting thread.

A page from the Monk Mauley cover story - Cole combines humor and horror beautifully in this tale of the dead rising from the grave to enact their revenge - that's Plas at the bottom pretending to be Satan in order to send the corpses back to their graves.

772735-plas38corpse.jpg

I need to get me this book!

I need to get me this book!

We're doing it to you again! poke2.gif

Why wait! Just go to the DC Indices. I already pointed you to the Plastic Man page. It seems that they start around 30 and do continue for a while. I'd say 53 but after a certain point (before 53) they already incorporate a Reds / Spy component alternating with Horror.

#33 with the melting plas is probably the 1st 'horror" cover, though a look through the Gerber does indicate a trend away from the more humorous covers starting with #27. The more interesting as well as a few horror themed covers by Cole continue through #42 - I can't tell if Cole did #43 which also has a horror type cover, but after that the covers appear to be either Crandall with Cuidera inks or just Cuidera. The three I have from that era are the #38 I posted which definetly has a 'horror" story, #37 which despite promising "the Eerie Horror of the Gigantic Ants", doesn't really contain anything resembling a horror story, though it does have a giant ant story., and #42 which does have a tale titled "The Witch of the Wailing Woods" which has some creepy elements, as well as the cover story which is a variation on the old "criminal beats the electric chair only to be electrocuted by something else" storyline so popular in precode crime and horror books. My guess is that the covers to #36 thru #39 are not by Cole. I'm not sure when the last original story by Cole was printed, but issues #56, #61 and the final issue, #64 all have cover stories which are obvious reprints from earlier issues. Also while the titles aren't the same, the covers to #57 & #58 look like they may well recycle stories from #33 and #22 respectively. I used to own a few of the later issues, and they contained stories that were obviously not by Cole, as well as what were probably Cole reprints, IIRC one issue had a reprint of the cover story to #29. These later issues had 3 Plastic Man stories each, so it's possible some of the cover stories were taken from earlier issues.

After looking through the Gerber I think I may too be looking to pick up a few more "horror" issues of Plastic man as well as upgrade my #38.

#33 with the melting plas is probably the 1st 'horror" cover, though a look through the Gerber does indicate a trend away from the more humorous covers starting with #27. The more interesting as well as a few horror themed covers by Cole continue through #42 - I can't tell if Cole did #43 which also has a horror type cover, but after that the covers appear to be either Crandall with Cuidera inks or just Cuidera. The three I have from that era are the #38 I posted which definetly has a 'horror" story, #37 which despite promising "the Eerie Horror of the Gigantic Ants", doesn't really contain anything resembling a horror story, though it does have a giant ant story., and #42 which does have a tale titled "The Witch of the Wailing Woods" which has some creepy elements, as well as the cover story which is a variation on the old "criminal beats the electric chair only to be electrocuted by something else" storyline so popular in precode crime and horror books. My guess is that the covers to #36 thru #39 are not by Cole. I'm not sure when the last original story by Cole was printed, but issues #56, #61 and the final issue, #64 all have cover stories which are obvious reprints from earlier issues. Also while the titles aren't the same, the covers to #57 & #58 look like they may well recycle stories from #33 and #22 respectively. I used to own a few of the later issues, and they contained stories that were obviously not by Cole, as well as what were probably Cole reprints, IIRC one issue had a reprint of the cover story to #29. These later issues had 3 Plastic Man stories each, so it's possible some of the cover stories were taken from earlier issues.

After looking through the Gerber I think I may too be looking to pick up a few more "horror" issues of Plastic man as well as upgrade my #38.

I took out my Gerber and, while the pictures are small, your identifications make sense to me. The only one I had a question about was 31, which definitely has less energy than the ones before it and after it, although it has some nice qualities. (It was a lot of fun looking at these again -- Cole is such a genius, there's an awful lot to look at that reveals itself over time.)

Yesterday, Doiby Dickles.

Today, Rjpb

Tomorrow, the world.

You did? blush.gif Sorry about that! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Some good eats on that link!

Still meeting my commitment to Silver (the person, not the Age):

773728-Superboy36.jpg

773728-Superboy36.jpg.2c4a6830eed84465977ba1a6fd46bcfd.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

Yup, that's a "squeaker" all right!

Heath scuba diving stories cloud9.gif

You did? blush.gif Sorry about that! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Some good eats on that link!

No worries POV, bad phrasing on my part. It was meant to mean: I already pointed you to the right section of the website with the URL I provided in my post, not that I directed you to some Plastic Man pages in the past. Glad you enjoyed the link in the end.