• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In the Shadow of the Atomic Age
6 6

2,391 posts in this topic

:bump:

Another, it came from the Baltimore show book - Eh! # 1, Charlton's entry into the Mad Imitator round-up -

Eh%201_zpsppzs06dv.jpg

First story splash -

Eh%201%20Story%201%20Splash_zpsvobdevex.jpg

The book also has a Buck Rogers parody and a Frontier Western parody. Good stuff really.

Ya, some of my friends get a little offended at some covers but it was just the times.

The guy on the cover is a North Korean. I've never read a war comic from the early 1950s, but I would guess that the South Korean soldiers -- who fought alongside U.S. and other U.N. troops -- would have been depicted favorably.

But it would be interesting to know if that's true. hm

It is true. If you want to find such story, run a search for R.O.K. Check out these examples from Atlas -

R.O.K. in Battle # 30 & War Combat # 4

Atlas Tales Linky - https://www.atlastales.com/search/t:R.O.K.:z:s

From Battle # 30 -

159_o.jpg

From War Combat # 4 - Doesn't start as well in this splash but we hope by story's end, the sentiment is different ...

2481_o.jpg

If you want to know more about this topic, I know that Leonard Rifas has been researching this issue for over 20 years starting with his 1991 thesis, "The Forgotten War Comics: The Korean War and American Comic Books" MA thesis, University of Washington, 1991. I emailed with him about the topic a couple of times, albeit too briefly.

Here's a recent interview - https://andy-luke.com/2010/03/19/with-leonard-rifas-pt-1-korean-war-comics-second-life-and-climate-change/

He has written other articles on the topic such as Korean War Comic Books and the Militarization of US Masculinity

If you want an earlier critique of these books, you can also chase down William Savage, Jr.s' Commies, Cowboys and Jungle Queens: Comic Books and America, 1945 - 1954. It's been close to 20 years since I've read it so I can't vouch for the information contained therein but it's a good start.

Amazon Linky - https://www.amazon.com/Commies-Cowboys-Jungle-Queens-1945-1954/dp/0819563382

Here's an early Atom Age entry: Published late in 1945. Great American Comics Presents #1, proposes to tell of a 'secret ally(voice)that helped us beat the Axis and what 'really' happened to Hitler. The voice belongs to genius insect named 'Victory Bug'. The book is kinda violent and presented in 'washed out' color tones inside. The cover is my copy, the interiors are taken from the DCM (to 'present' better in this thread,)

Great%20American%20Comics%20Present%201_zpsajemnpff.jpg

1480645386The_Secret_Voice_no.1_1946_pg17_zpsuotjnlkl.jpg

1480645408The_Secret_Voice_no.1_1946_pg19_zpssumibrb8.jpg

1480645579The_Secret_Voice_no.1_1946_pg36_zpsjumad9k2.jpg

Edited by Sagii