• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please support me in financing my education - THANKS!
2 2

279 posts in this topic

Part of the experience is that being in an environment helps develop your skills. Maybe Frazetta didn't learn much from the teacher, but he "learned more from my friends there."

Wonder if any of those friend attendees went on to starving artist status hm

Frazetta's drawing partner, Angelo Torres, went on to a multi-decade career at Mad Magazine among other realms. His other school friends included Bernie Krigstein, Joe Orlando and Wally Wood.

I was being sarcastic, but actually that's interesting to know.

I am not sure where the OP is from but if they find that spending 70k is hard to swallow there is a fantasy art convention in PA that is supposed to be good at networking, taking part in lectures, and other things happen. It's called Illuxcon

I have never been able to make it out there but they have some pretty big names.... Greg Hildebrandt and Boris Vallejo to name a few.

Maybe attending it would get you feet wet enough and talking with fellow artists to get an idea of what it takes to do what you love doing and be successful at it. (shrug)

Edited by phantalien

Quite a few comic artists attended Pratt Institute; in fact I listened to one of Felix's podcasts interviewing John Butler who attended Pratt along with Dan Clowes, George Pratt, Ken Williams and Scott Hanna, among others.

Creig Flessel, Mort Meskin, Bob Powell and Bill Ward attended Pratt.

Will Eisner, Reed Crandall, Jim Mooney, Russ Manning, Ramona Frandon, Mac Raboy, Harvey Kurtzman, Dick Ayers, Frank Thorne, Charles Biro, Lou Fine, Jack Kamen, Al Feldstein, Bernie Krigstein, Johnny Craig, Don Heck and many others attended art schools.

I think that Frazetta worked for Al Capp on Lil Abner for quite awhile. Al had him doing poses, bodies and backgrounds but Al himself insisted on doing the hands and .....either eyes or faces, I can't remember.

I think that Frazetta worked for Al Capp on Lil Abner for quite awhile. Al had him doing poses, bodies and backgrounds but Al himself insisted on doing the hands and .....either eyes or faces, I can't remember.

I believe Capp always did hands and faces. The only exception that I am aware of are the Frazetta Sundays where Frazetta may have done full figures on some, including faces. Frazetta may well have done the whole strip on some.

I believe Capp always did hands and faces. The only exception that I am aware of are the Frazetta Sundays where Frazetta may have done full figures on some, including faces. Frazetta may well have done the whole strip on some.

:applause::foryou:

On another note....or perhaps a related one...... I read that school loans have become the largest debt in the country. Stop borrowing people !!

Edited by Senormac

On the subject of art schools in general, I know an artist who's had a steady job in comics for 10+ years who credits it all to a failing grade (and, more importantly, the resulting lecture on why it was a failing grade) from Hy Eisman at Kubert. Hy had said artist redo the assignment (with his notes) and it was that redone assignment that got the artist a job with a mainstream publisher that, again, has been held for 10+ years.

Was luck a factor in that? Of course. But it's hard to say that, in at least that one instance, the school itself didn't have value.

It's also worth noting that Ty Templeton insists that nobody can't draw & anybody who insists they can't just haven't taken the time to learn. Whether Ty had formal instruction, I don't know, but I do know that he offers it.

Of course, since these instances are (fairly) comic specific, I'm talking about education that's closer to "here's how to make it in the comic industry" over "here's how to make art in general", but I had to take issue with the "art school is worthless" vibe throughout the thread.