• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please support me in financing my education - THANKS!
2 2

279 posts in this topic

I think the OP should go and do 2 things.

1 - Send Kav a postcard

2 - Get on the list to host Kraven the Hunter and take some nifty pics of him in Vienna and post here.

Tomorrow will be a month since I've heard from Designer Toast about getting Kraven .

The Travels of Kraven thread is going dormant..... ;)

His hatred of Spider-Man has been known to bring him back from the dead!

bf17484d5b985b455010f4fa6e622383.jpg

I understand what you're saying, and the context in which Einstein said it, but interestingly enough, all serious physicists of that time came up in a journeyman system. Literally every single one of note traveled the world to learn from the masters in their fields.

Do the American thing and follow your dreams which will more than likely lead you to debt and in worst case poverty.

If you have talent then you can pursue it but honestly you don't need to go to school to learn how to paint or draw if you planning to do it professionally.

With social media and other media outlets now, amateur artist can make a decent living selling their art online but building the clientele is another matter. Marketing is key to your success.

If you have the talent, I would go to school to learn digital media like learning how to program or web design. That way you have a lot of skills employers want.

You have some great work, but spending $70k for an education on painting if only worth it if you feel it's worth it to you.

I'm already $45k into debt for school already and I'm hopefully graduating this December :D and already making plans to get into the information school at either UW or Oregon State.

All I can say is follow your passion but be careful to not dig yourself too deep in debt if you can avoid it.

You're being kinda passive aggressive and childish about all this. The OP didn't start this thread to be talked out of art school. Support him or don't...the last thing someone needs before a major life change is a bunch of doubt brought on by disgruntled forum posters. You've made your point all ready.

Kudos to Kav. He gets "beat up" a lot on the boards, but here he is the first guy to offer up an apology. Well done!

Kudos to Mark 1 as well.

There is a very very valid reason for this. And not just because of my biased opinion. The facts are out there and very plain for anyone to see.

Kudos to Kav. He gets "beat up" a lot on the boards, but here he is the first guy to offer up an apology. Well done!

Kudos to Mark 1 as well.

There is a very very valid reason for this. And not just because of my biased opinion. The facts are out there and very plain for anyone to see.

lol

You're being kinda passive aggressive and childish about all this. The OP didn't start this thread to be talked out of art school. Support him or don't...the last thing someone needs before a major life change is a bunch of doubt brought on by disgruntled forum posters. You've made your point all ready.

You have no idea what the OP wants. He PM'd me and thanked me for my comments-he said that was exactly what he was hoping for-it is a major life decision and he wanted the pros and cons.

never felt the need to go to europe to learn, experience, or any of that nonsense.

Maybe that was what you needed. No way to know.

I knew some girl who came back from europe and asked me 'do i seem diferent?' they think a pilgrimage to there makes em a complete person or something. nope.

ABSOLUTELY. :facepalm:

Aside from thinking she may seem different to some guy, did she start claiming to represent everyone?

And I've spent a few weeks in Italy and France. It drips with artistic culture that I can easily see inspiring anyone OPEN to it. Some people like to, and benefit from getting out and experiencing life in a way that is off the beaten path.

It's good to see OP showing an open mind, even thou his last 3 posts in the thread seem to have gone unnoticed.

Aside from thinking she may seem different to some guy, did she start claiming to represent everyone?

Only in the sense that this idea did not originate in her mind. She bought the hype that Europe makes one 'cultured' 'better' 'more worldly' 'more desired' etc. From all them movies is my guess.

As far as dripping with art and culture, western art and culture yes. Chinese and Indian as well as Japanese and other cultures have a longer and larger cultural body of art. There's maybe 800 years of European art history. In China it's over 10,000.

Since this continues to be about you, instead of the OP, I'll put this thought out there. Mind you, I'm not trying to be harsh or mean.

Is there a chance skill had nothing to do with you not succeeding?

Clearly you have talent Kav, but your inability to consider, accept or even acknowledge an opinion other than your own may have been what held you back.

Since this continues to be about you, instead of the OP, I'll put this thought out there. Mind you, I'm not trying to be harsh or mean.

Is there a chance skill had nothing to do with you not succeeding?

Clearly you have talent Kav, but your inability to consider, accept or even acknowledge an opinion other than your own may have been what held you back.

Yep that's what got Neal Adams a job-the ability to see other people's opinion.

Steve Ditko too-he's notorious for seeing other's viewpoints and not being stubborn.

Barry Smith is another one frequently heard saying 'you know I think you're right'.

Just a thought.

And instead of mulling it over, you dismissed it immediately and compared yourself to giants of the industry.

Didn't see that coming. lol

People have made this charge several times. I have 'mulled it over' on countless occasions. One of the very very few boardies who ever admits he is wrong is 'stubborn'. I'm just not seeing it.

I don't know if you know how it works but you submit your work to a publisher with a brief letter 'I am interested in the artist position for your graphic novel. Here is a link to my work'

They reply 'thanks for your submission but that is not the style we are looking for at this time good luck to you'.

The end.

How they could conclude from that 'this guy never sees others opinions-don't hire him' is baffling to me.

as far as 'comparing myself to the giants', I don't know anything about the personalities of third rate artists. I have to use examples I know about. At some point Ditko was not a giant of the industry. He was hired. His personality is pretty well known.

You have no idea what the OP wants. He PM'd me and thanked me for my comments-he said that was exactly what he was hoping for-it is a major life decision and he wanted the pros and cons.

Glad to hear it. Really doesn't excuse your childish behavior or make up for your uncanny ability to constantly make other people's threads about you. It's tired and old, Kav.