• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Please support me in financing my education - THANKS!
2 2

279 posts in this topic

My main points are don't go to some art school in europe as an impulse. OP has pained one painting and now he's off to europe. This seems impulsive and possibly a bad move. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe if I told someone not to waste their money on a lottery ticket I would be wrong because they would have won. Percentage-wise, I think I'm right.

My main points are don't go to some art school in europe as an impulse. OP has pained one painting and now he's off to europe. This seems impulsive and possibly a bad move. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe if I told someone not to waste their money on a lottery ticket I would be wrong because they would have won. Percentage-wise, I think I'm right.

I think you are 100% correct, though surely everyone will want us to apologize because we aren't going with the masses. That's okay though, I would much rather be true to myself and my fellow board members than be a sheep rolling with the herd.

There is so much bad advice in this thread from Kav.

Go to art school, it will make you a much better artist, and mixing with other students will be invaluable to your development as an artist. And of course Vienna itself will be an inspiration. Trust me on this. Good luck and have fun :)

Bad advice, or honest advice. You might be confused.

I really think you should apologize.

While I think the experience would be awe inspiring. I also think that you don't have to spend 70K to master your craft either. Isn't that really what kav is talking about?

Art comes from within, not some diploma from a prestigious art school.

70k is chump change for an opportunity to be enlightened. We live for experience, not to hoard money. Motivation comes from within... art is a reaction to to experience. Without experience, what are you trying to say... Look how well I can draw? Lots of people can draw, it's how and what you communicate that matters. If you get fixiated on just drawing, you will fail as an artist. Go the Vienna. Work the system... get funding. Be great. Only people who do nothing have regrets.

There is middle ground between 70k and doing nothing.

He said it was $65-70K for tuition and living expenses for all three years. $1900 a month doesn't sound like a crazy amount to gain life and cultural experience along with whatever art education that he would receive.

He said it was $65-70K for tuition and living expenses for all three years. $1900 a month doesn't sound like a crazy amount to gain life and cultural experience along with whatever art education that he would receive.

It may very well be worth it. Or it may not. I'm just saying there might be cheaper options.

I think you are 100% correct, though surely everyone will want us to apologize because we aren't going with the masses. That's okay though, I would much rather be true to myself and my fellow board members than be a sheep rolling with the herd.

The herd has been trying to get me to obey since day one. Hasn't worked. The best artists seem to be self taught so, logically, isn't the best way to become a great artist to teach yourself?

I think your point was clear Kav, especially after all the back and forths and explanations. (thumbs u

And I think miraclemet summarized it very well: if it’s not excessively expensive (and you are willing to devote the time), even a short period of study or work abroad can be good.

You have also to consider what he’ll be able to be exposed in Vienna as a city: all the opportunities to see and visit things firsthand that he‘d never be able to see while staying in the USA.

Once one of my american friends which are lettering and typography historians or studying these matters anyway, told me they were very envious of all the libraries and historical sites I could visit and see "whenever I wanted" in Italy.

Well, even Rome is far for me that I don’t like to travel, but you get the point. :)

I think your point was clear Kav, especially after all the back and forths and explanations. (thumbs u

And I think miraclemet summarized it very well: if it’s not excessively expensive (and you are willing to devote the time), even a short period of study or work abroad can be good.

You have also to consider what he’ll be able to be exposed in Vienna as a city: all the opportunities to see and visit things firsthand that he‘d never be able to see while staying in the USA.

Once one of my american friends which are lettering and typography historians or studying these matters anyway, told me they were very envious of all the libraries and historical sites I could visit and see "whenever I wanted" in Italy.

Well, even Rome is far for me that I don’t like to travel, but you get the point. :)

I'm envious, Italy is on my bucket list. I want to see such a beautiful place.

The best artists seem to be self taught so, logically, isn't the best way to become a great artist to teach yourself?

hmhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_bias

So-selection bias-going to Europe to learn art is a fallacy, right?

Going to Europe for school can include a hell of a lot more life experience than just art.

The best artists seem to be self taught so, logically, isn't the best way to become a great artist to teach yourself?

Going to Europe for school can include a hell of a lot more life experience than just art.

Downtown Detroit!

So selection bias-life experiences happens in europe not here

Here's a life experience-the huge number of tourist scams in europe.

So selection bias-life experiences happens in europe not here

That's not what I said. Don't be a dolt.

Here's a life experience-the huge number of tourist scams in europe.

These exist in America as well

I'm envious, Italy is on my bucket list. I want to see such a beautiful place.

Florence is great. Rome and surrounding areas are some of the most touristy places I've ever been right up there with Niagara and certain parts of NY, but there are such spectacular things to see there that you forgive it.

Over 3 years? $1900 a month? Even better! You probably already spend that anyways just hanging out. You can recoup that easily once you're back... even on minimum wage. Seems like a done deal to me... Go, learn, meet new people, sleep with local women, eat local food, open your mind, grow, become a better person, have fun. Send us a post card :hi:

yup

never felt the need to go to europe to learn, experience, or any of that nonsense. I knew some girl who came back from europe and asked me 'do i seem diferent?' they think a pilgrimage to there makes em a complete person or something. nope.

Seeing how other people live, getting out of your comfort zone, not speaking the language, being a minority when you aren't used to it - all things that can change you and all things that you can experience traveling.

As in all things, different people get different things out of it, but I've always seen great value in traveling for the reasons listed.

I would never discourage anybody from following a dream but go into it with your eyes open the days of the "a moveable feast" are gone.

Also I can't imagine having that much freedom it seems like I've been responsible for one or more people since I was 16.