• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

Any comments / thoughts on why the x-23 #1 dell'otto variant is dropping in price on ebay? Saw a 9.8 go for $1000 didn't these used to go for 1700+ ?

My theory as a collector of many, many years?

People are coming to there senses and realizing it's unsure to pay 1700.00 for a modern variant.

...of any character.

Yea I hear ya on that, before I'd drop almost 2 grand on a modern comic I'd pick up a lebron james rookie auto basketball card in 10 years that will be worth more than 99% of all modern variants.

The sports card mentality won't serve you well. Ask anyone who paid $3k for Michael Jordan rookies graded at 9 thinking they'd get rich 10 years after he retired.

Why buy a Lebron card for $2k, who could break his leg tomorrow and be done when you can get a low grade 1933 Babe Ruth for the same money. Modern cards VS modern variants is really the same thing, very fickle market

Any comments / thoughts on why the x-23 #1 dell'otto variant is dropping in price on ebay? Saw a 9.8 go for $1000 didn't these used to go for 1700+ ?

My theory as a collector of many, many years?

People are coming to there senses and realizing it's unsure to pay 1700.00 for a modern variant.

...of any character.

Yea I hear ya on that, before I'd drop almost 2 grand on a modern comic I'd pick up a lebron james rookie auto basketball card in 10 years that will be worth more than 99% of all modern variants.

The sports card mentality won't serve you well. Ask anyone who paid $3k for Michael Jordan rookies graded at 9 thinking they'd get rich 10 years after he retired.

Why buy a Lebron card for $2k, who could break his leg tomorrow and be done when you can get a low grade 1933 Babe Ruth for the same money. Modern cards VS modern variants is really the same thing, very fickle market

PSA 9 Jordan rookie is selling for about $4800. Lebron just had a rookie auto with logoman patch sell at auction this past week for $310,000 3rd highest amount for a basketball card ever. Lebron could break both legs tomorrow and never play basketball again and his cards would be gold for the grand kiddies. In the past year his BGS 9.5 2003 SP Authentic rookie auto #d /500 has more than doubled if you can even find them because people wont even sell them anymore. You can get a BGS 9 or PSA 9 of the same card for around 2500 if you're lucky and that will double in value at a minimum. There aren't many sure things in collecting but lebron james BGS 9 or 9.5 and PSA 9 or 10 rookie autos are as close to a sure thing as you will ever see. I literally buy and sell cards and comics and take the profits from those sales and stash it into a separate bank account to buy Lebron rookies. Although lately ive been working on trying to do the same to obtain a Spawn #185 Sketch Variant just because I want one and never intend on selling it.

Last few 1986 Jordan PSA 9's on ebay sold for $3500, but regardless I used to deal in cards and found it to be such a waste of time from seeing the market plunge too often (Crosby, Ovechkin, Kobe, Strasburg, Griffey, yada yada)

Buying into Upper Deck and their sub brands like SP SP Authentic, etc with the pre-manufactured fake scarcity is the same boat as the Dell'Otto "secret" variants. Modern baseball cards are even worse. It's not enough to get the rookie, you have to get the chrome version but only the really limited numbered refactor of a certain color, or the signed rookie card but only the one with the certain jersey swatch. It's ridiculous.

Having said that, I made a killing on Bryce Harper cards before he ever played an MLB game so there's money to be made

Once again, first / early to market once the hype built and there were none or few to be found. It's very rare that a book will stay at the high levels initially realized. There are buyers, some on these boards, that will buy high and have admittedly taken a bath.

There are outliers however. Take the La Mole JSC ASM 18 for example. In September, before the actual release, it was selling for $50-75. It has jumped up considerably since then and has stayed pretty level for a few weeks.

Books like Winter Soldier do belong in this thread. Understanding why they are cooling is just as important as recognizing that they are.

Are JSC books the only ones really seeing a stable market or even uptick right now?

Edited by ygogolak

Once again, first / early to market once the hype built and there were none or few to be found. It's very rare that a book will stay at the high levels initially realized. There are buyers, some on these boards, that will buy high and have admittedly taken a bath.

There are outliers however. Take the La Mole JSC ASM 18 for example. In September, before the actual release, it was selling for $50-75. It has jumped up considerably since then and has stayed pretty level for a few weeks.

Books like Winter Soldier do belong in this thread. Understanding why they are cooling is just as important as recognizing that they are.

Are JSC books the only ones really seeing a stable market or even uptick right now?

This is where series and subject matter, not just the artist. An artist may be hot at the moment which drives prices up short term but I don't think it takes a genius to figure that Spider-Man likely has a much bigger and more stable market than the Winter Soldier.

This is where series and subject matter, not just the artist. An artist may be hot at the moment which drives prices up short term but I don't think it takes a genius to figure that Spider-Man likely has a much bigger and more stable market than the Winter Soldier.

Yes, definitely a factor. I guess all the JSC that are fairly stable are ASM or Spider related. Maybe you can throw the X-Men Psylocke out there. Any others I'm missing?

Once again, first / early to market once the hype built and there were none or few to be found. It's very rare that a book will stay at the high levels initially realized.

right idea wrong words, all that means is that a book was overvalued due to hype and is retreating to its real value. This only happens with sudden extreme rises in price. The majority of the market just trudges along slowly upward, with movements up and down, happening from time to time.

"currently stable" but nothing to preclude them from tracking the same way. It's simple supply and demand. The supply on many of these variants was always small, they experienced a hueg upswing in demand which makes prices soar, but if the demand fades, they will return to previous values, relative to past demand.

"currently stable" but nothing to preclude them from tracking the same way. It's simple supply and demand. The supply on many of these variants was always small, they experienced a hueg upswing in demand which makes prices soar, but if the demand fades, they will return to previous values, relative to past demand.

So the same with every book collectible in existence. Got it. (thumbs u

Edited by ygogolak

So the same with everything in existence. Got it. (thumbs u

Fixed that for you.

Cooling? How about the Venom #1 Dell'Otto Variant sets? Pre-sales were $375+ and sets now are under $100 bucks. Sure, the price was bound to drop once copies were in hand and then listed on ebay, but a 300-400% drop in a few days to a week or so?

Cooling? How about the Venom #1 Dell'Otto Variant sets? Pre-sales were $375+ and sets now are under $100 bucks. Sure, the price was bound to drop once copies were in hand and then listed on ebay, but a 300-400% drop in a few days to a week or so?

That is what happens when pre-sellers (shillers too) try and gouge people by inflating the prices so much, they may get 1 or 2 sales, but as soon as a book ships and is in hand of others, the undercutting begins and people who presell try to not have returns, refunds, and customers with buyers remorse going directly to paypal behind eBay's back to get refunds.

You cannot control the lemmings, but you also don't have to be that guy pre-selling and worrying about condition, then complaining when you don't get a 9.8 copy and have to tell your buyers.

If all people here waited for book in hand before auction or listing, we would then see the market not get corrupted/manipulated.

One peak price for $1625. Still selling for between $1100 (low) and $1500. 90 day average right at $1300, same as its 12 month average.

And It's also holiday time. Many books sell for lower this time of year, variant, modern, and otherwise.

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

And It's also holiday time. Many books sell for lower this time of year, variant, modern, and otherwise.

I've noticed that as well. When is the best time to sell? Summer when there are lot of cons and movies going on I'm guessing.

January, June and October are the best times for selling the hot brand new Image series which will be in the toilet in 6 months, you just have to pick the right one to buy heavy on

Feb & March tend to be good selling months once people start getting their tax returns, and cold weather keeps 'em indoors and on the pc late at night for impulse buying

I've noticed that as well. When is the best time to sell? Summer when there are lot of cons and movies going on I'm guessing.

I'm not a seller but I hear February to September are the best times.

*Edit- I stand corrected by Lonzilla above me. (thumbs u

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

It's time to put Todd the Ugliest Kid On Earth on the cooling / dead as a door nail list though nobody is dropping their slab prices down yet. Raw copies of #1 are way way down to the $10 range.

If you're reading this Ken, it's been 3 years and I have given up on Todd ever coming back. Sorry man

It's time to put Todd the Ugliest Kid On Earth on the cooling / dead as a door nail list though nobody is dropping their slab prices down yet. Raw copies of #1 are way way down to the $10 range.

If you're reading this Ken, it's been 3 years and I have given up on Todd ever coming back. Sorry man

It really sucks too, wish I knew what the problem was.

That was a lot of fun a few years ago with the TPB Lon.