• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

From $350 to $3.50 is a big drop ;)

well, not $3.50

This did better a month ago:

htthttp://www.ebay.com/itm/RAT-QUEENS-1-VARIANT-Cover-CGC-9-8-Fiona-Staples-/322311043275?hash=item4b0b3c38cb:g:LHkAAOSwaB5XnQxCp

While they are not publishing new stories, it's going to stagnate. Once they come back with something it should perk back up. maybe not $350. was it really that high on multiple sales? I have a raw copy, which i did not get around to selling, and those were going for $75-$100 or so.

Three-fitty is a meme joke he was making instead of answering me, so I replied back mirroring the joke. Thanks for posting real sales numbers :). Raw for $100 makes $55 slabbed pretty rough.

well, not $3.50

htthttp://www.ebay.com/itm/RAT-QUEENS-1-VARIANT-Cover-CGC-9-8-Fiona-Staples-/322311043275?hash=item4b0b3c38cb:g:LHkAAOSwaB5XnQxCp

While they are not publishing new stories, it's going to stagnate. Once they come back with something it should perk back up. maybe not $350. was it really that high on multiple sales? I have a raw copy, which i did not get around to selling, and those were going for $75-$100 or so.

Three-fitty is a meme joke he was making instead of answering me, so I replied back mirroring the joke. Thanks for posting real sales numbers :). Raw for $100 makes $55 slabbed pretty rough.

I just don't remember the slabs going for big multiples of the raw, but i could be wrong. this is one auction during a weird time of year. getting a little close to christmas for this to be a gift and a lot of collectors don't buy for themselves right now.

but it being a dormant title is key. they had some controversy on the creative team and stopped the book, but what i read is that it will be coming back at some point.

I think in general its just a matter of knowing your market trends and selling at the right time so you're not left holding the bag. And if you're holding the bag, make sure you've sold more than enough other bags to cover the losses on the bags you're still holding. Or invest so little in the bag that it barely matters and you can at least get your money back if necessary.

And if its not working out for a person, they should stop doing it.

This is what I've been doing for the past few years only applied to football cards (Yes I'm a die hard Seahawk Fan). But collecting autographed Russell Wilson rookie cards has started to become boring as I have most of what I want. Over the past few years I've invested and sold smart enough to wear I currently have about 2 grand in Autographed Russell Wilson Rookie Cards that haven't cost me a dime. Now trying to apply the same logic back into comics has proven somewhat more difficult than in sports cards. The markets I think are a lot more stable in sports cards and much more predictable vs comics which seems to have a ton of volatility one minute your 9.8 is worth $600 two weeks later its dropped a few hundred bucks and you're stuck. It's made me very reluctant to really want to pull the trigger on any big dollar items and one of the reasons I found my self on this board hoping to get an inside edge on trends or at the very least a better understanding of them. With that being said it almost at this point in time seems easier to just continue buying and selling cards and taking said profits into the comic arena where if I fail at least in the end I lost nothing.

With sports cards, there is a connection between value and the real physical world. Players actually exist, and actually play sports. You can hype up players to a certain extent, but ultimately, it's anchored in reality.

So if a player is good, their cards should be worth more and a player who has never been in the majors should be worth less? Definitely not the case.

Because a person, anchored in reality, has given their OPINION. I see....

Transitioning that into the comic book world I almost feel like I need a crystal ball to understand what will hold value and what may one day become valuable. I do like to read comics so at least I can buy what I like to read with the hope it may one day be worth something. But this doesn't allow me to buy / sell to the point where I can make enough to afford the comics I want for instance Spawn #185 B/W Sketch or the Spawn #222 Kudranski Variant.

The comparison you just made is equivalent to key first appearances in comics. Some may live up to the hype, some may not. There is no sure thing in either.

us discussing cards in comparison to comic books is proof that the end it near (again)

I don't think there are any Moderns selling for $5-10k like in cards.

Edited by ygogolak

Interesting article on CBSI with some points that should be driven home.

If this week's CBSI article is the first time you've heard of a specific comic, then you're probably already too late to the game. That said, I find reading months or years old articles to be pretty good for finding interesting stuff for the PC. The feeding frenzy by the site's avid followers would've already cooled off and prices are back to more sane levels in line with normal market demand. :D

Excerpt from http://comicbookinvest.com/2016/12/14/subject-23-pump-dump-aka-pnd/

This is a highly unstable market!

Just because you read an article about people investing in comics rather than the stock market doesn’t mean you should too. Today’s hot book can be tomorrow’s discount bin filler. Get used to it. It’s been that way for as long as the hobby has existed. It’ll stay that way long after all the fair weather collectors/investors have gone.

Everyone wants guarantees and stability. The safety of black and white concrete can’t lose investments. That’s not going to happen, this market is way to volatile. It’s driven by people who will tell you anything to flip a book. If there’s a direct financial gain for the person telling you about it, you need to research beyond that.

I’ve said time and time again, flipping/selling/investing in comics is a predatory game. You want to play, it’s gotta be a two-way street. You’ll win as many as you lose.

Learn to think independently and separate yourself from the herd.

Fact is nobody was holding a gun to your head to buy anything in the 90’s or today… So if you paid too much for a book there’s no one to blame but yourself. Information and intelligent makes a market stronger. Do your own research and don’t just follow the pack.

If money’s your only aim, do us all a favor, just cut bait and run. This is a gamble and you need to suck it up or take a hike. Stop blaming and accusing people because you don’t know how to “comic book” very well. That’s nobody’s fault but your own.

Remember… If you don’t already own it, the Dump’s ALWAYS on you!

That's just a puff piece to cover their asses. Smoke and Mirrors.

Gave me the same exact vibe.

Learn to think independently and separate yourself from the herd.

cBSi is by definition THE HERD.

Ironic that the writer produces an article with the blue and red pills in it, immediately after I and several other people here started red pilling their sheep.

I only have one reply to his article, for all the cBSi readers:

Wake Up....

battery.jpg

This Cbsi stuff reminds me somewhat of the old Wizard Top Ten lists. Nobody really cared for half of what they put in those lists until it was printed, then it became a must have book. We all know how shady all that turned out...

That is exactly what it is modeled after. That has been stated from the beginning.

How was Wizard "shady"? Looking backs their picks were horrible in terms of present value, yes.

I think in general its just a matter of knowing your market trends and selling at the right time so you're not left holding the bag. And if you're holding the bag, make sure you've sold more than enough other bags to cover the losses on the bags you're still holding. Or invest so little in the bag that it barely matters and you can at least get your money back if necessary.

And if its not working out for a person, they should stop doing it.

This is what I've been doing for the past few years only applied to football cards (Yes I'm a die hard Seahawk Fan). But collecting autographed Russell Wilson rookie cards has started to become boring as I have most of what I want. Over the past few years I've invested and sold smart enough to wear I currently have about 2 grand in Autographed Russell Wilson Rookie Cards that haven't cost me a dime. Now trying to apply the same logic back into comics has proven somewhat more difficult than in sports cards. The markets I think are a lot more stable in sports cards and much more predictable vs comics which seems to have a ton of volatility one minute your 9.8 is worth $600 two weeks later its dropped a few hundred bucks and you're stuck. It's made me very reluctant to really want to pull the trigger on any big dollar items and one of the reasons I found my self on this board hoping to get an inside edge on trends or at the very least a better understanding of them. With that being said it almost at this point in time seems easier to just continue buying and selling cards and taking said profits into the comic arena where if I fail at least in the end I lost nothing.

With sports cards, there is a connection between value and the real physical world. Players actually exist, and actually play sports. You can hype up players to a certain extent, but ultimately, it's anchored in reality.

So if a player is good, their cards should be worth more and a player who has never been in the majors should be worth less? Definitely not the case.

Because a person, anchored in reality, has given their OPINION. I see....

Transitioning that into the comic book world I almost feel like I need a crystal ball to understand what will hold value and what may one day become valuable. I do like to read comics so at least I can buy what I like to read with the hope it may one day be worth something. But this doesn't allow me to buy / sell to the point where I can make enough to afford the comics I want for instance Spawn #185 B/W Sketch or the Spawn #222 Kudranski Variant.

The comparison you just made is equivalent to key first appearances in comics. Some may live up to the hype, some may not. There is no sure thing in either.

us discussing cards in comparison to comic books is proof that the end it near (again)

I don't think there are any Moderns selling for $5-10k like in cards.

There are. 9.8, ASM 667 Dell'otto, and Walking Dead #1, 9.9 to name a couple... ;)

-J.

well, not $3.50

150-200 were regular prices when the title was "optioned" a couple years back

well, not $3.50

$100 for a, lets face it, dead series 1:10 variant is not too shabby in my book :shrug:

Maybe the soft reboot will be good enough to keep this series alive - I hope so, it was great fun for a while there.

well, not $3.50

$100 for a, lets face it, dead series 1:10 variant is not too shabby in my book :shrug:

Maybe the soft reboot will be good enough to keep this series alive - I hope so, it was great fun for a while there.

Not bad at all...

Again.. This has to do with the current state of the market..

Is that the correct price for this book? Was it inflated before?

Possibly

But it sure wasnt 100 yesterday

Now might be a buying opportunity for that particular issue, especially if you can snag a pristine raw copy. Staples doing the cover helps. How much would it cost to get her to sign a SS? (Does she?)

There are. 9.8, ASM 667 Dell'otto, and Walking Dead #1, 9.9 to name a couple... ;)

-J.

I'd be curious to see if either of them could get that range currently.

Absolutely. A 9.9 WD #1 just sold for $12k yesterday, and a 9.8 ASM 667 sold for $7300 last month (first copy to come up in 3.5 years). (thumbs u

-J.