• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are COOLING on EBAY...
1 1

568 posts in this topic

Really cant believe that I sold 3 of these for 150.00/each in less than 2 days when they heated up a few months ago

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMAN-THE-MAN-OF-STEEL-18-CGC-9-8-WHITE-PAGES-1ST-FULL-APP-OF-DOOMSDAY-/322350367932?hash=item4b0d9444bc:g:p7UAAOSwj85YRbT~

Wow ! I'm telling you, best month I can remember from a buying perspective. What was that book bringing before the movie hype ? That seems pretty cheap even for a down period imo.

I think typically people buy things for others in December, or have other expenses. Either way they either have less or choose to spend less on themselves. And I think most comics, especially CGC or other key collector comics are things you buy for yourself.

Either way, December is not a good time to run reserveless options on the 'bay

"Run Reserveless", Thats genuis my friend

If this is the beginning of some sort of a crash

Villain books post movie or show always crash

Auctions for books no longer being actively sought are great buying opportunities and very dangerous for sellers. Better to post a BIN and wait for those few still looking to find your sale.

I agree. But when sellers sit on hundreds, sometimes 1000s, of slabs which they invested in for the purpose of flipping, unwisely NOT proportionately spending and by so doing NOT making any profit while silly season was in full effect. When all that falls into play and the market slows down, they are suddenly bankrupt and throw everything they have just to keep afloat

If this is the beginning of some sort of a crash

Villain books post movie or show always crash

Auctions for books no longer being actively sought are great buying opportunities and very dangerous for sellers. Better to post a BIN and wait for those few still looking to find your sale.

I agree. But when sellers sit on hundreds, sometimes 1000s, of slabs which they invested in for the purpose of flipping, unwisely NOT proportionately spending and by so doing NOT making any profit while silly season was in full effect. When all that falls into play and the market slows down, they are suddenly bankrupt and throw everything they have just to keep afloat

Oh, I agree, when the market bubble breaks, its going to be much larger than 90s for "us", though stores should do better, and hopefully the casual buyers will be enough to keep them in business despite the exiting of all the flippers/speculators.

I just dont think the WHOLE bubble can break as long as debt is so cheap (which i have said often here).

Segments of the market bubble can blow and let off steam, like Image #1s vis-a-vis Mar/Apr 2013.

Store/Retailer Group Variants look like a good candidate for the next wipeout.

It only takes a few big losses to get the herd moving on to the next big thing. Bedlam/Nowhere Men/East of West leveled Image #1s. Sixth Gun and Revival dropped the ceiling for optioned books. etc etc

So many books have "cooled off". Or have they?

I just think that they were pumped so hard at a certain point and now they came to normalcy

Walking Dead #100 2nd Print was a 350.00 book its now flirting with 100.00

legends 3 9.8 is a 70.00 dollar book used to be 250-300.00

So sooo many others

What collectors/readers and wise speculators need to do is take a good look at these examples and learn from them

if youre a seller, keep on rolling the dice, keep on pumping. It will take more than a few good words of advice to keep you from playing with fire. Eventually youll get burned. I just hope that you wont take the market with ya

those are all examples of pumped up books imo.

Pumped up books take time to fade once people over pay, they dont want to sell at a loss, and if they dont have to, they just hold on.

Bedlam 9.8 NYCC is NOT selling currently while being listed at $49.99 on ebay. Even 2 years after its release, people were trying to sell it for $300+

It stopped being a $300+ book months after its release, but it took years for the BINs to fade, and people to accept reality.

Edited by CBT

those are all examples of pumped up books imo.

Pumped up books take time to fade once people over pay, they dont want to sell at a loss, and if they dont have to, they just hold on.

Bedlam 9.8 NYCC is NOT selling currently while being listed at $49.99 on ebay. Even 2 years after its release, people were trying to sell it for $300+

It stopped being a $300+ book months after its release, but it took years for the BINs to fade, and people to accept reality.

Were basically saying the same thing

Only my examples are a lil more recent lol:baiting:

I just think that they were pumped so hard at a certain point and now they came to normalcy

So sooo many others

What collectors/readers and wise speculators need to do is take a good look at these examples and learn from them

if youre a seller, keep on rolling the dice, keep on pumping. It will take more than a few good words of advice to keep you from playing with fire. Eventually youll get burned. I just hope that you wont take the market with ya

That's because its a second print and/or reprint. It never was worth that elevated price based on website pumpers saying hey look everyone Negan's face is on the cover not just his silhouette on the 1st print. Shrugs maybe one day collectors will learn the difference between 1st and second, third etc reprints. 2c

Later printings being more valuable is not a new concept.

If you want to equate it to anything it would be the abundance of variants vs. their regular cover counterparts. The variants that have done well have better cover art and are a lot harder to find. There might be one cover a month that meets these requirements. This can be the best of both worlds for collectors.

The second and later printings that have done well, in most cases, also posses these qualities.

Modern collectors value rarity and cover art.

A review of this thread will prove that it's not something new and that collectors do hold value in these qualities.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9303163#Post9303163

One book on the list is over 10 years old. Not a long track record by any means. Modern collectors collect all kinds of different things but stories are the glue that make them last.

"Long" is a relative term. Is it as old as Bronze or Copper? No, but there is a different market for different era's of books. To just shrug Moderns aside due to age is shortsighted.

This sums it up pretty well. Totaly different market.

People do not read anymore and if print numbers were as high as they were in the bronze and copper? Moderns would be worthless.

That's why I consider rarity now. It keeps collecting alive for me. I've evolved with the times and I'm OK with it.

Don't get me wrong...I miss the good ol days!

I still read a lot of books though way fewer of the big 2 than what I once did. It feel like we're having another good old days in storytelling and art, especially with companies like Image and Dark Horse.

Do you guys think they will quit selling comic stories and maybe just go to art prints some day soon ? This isn't a rhetorical question. I'm truly curious why if people are collecting covers as art, why put a story between the pages ?

I certainly need to break out of my bubble! I rely to much on the big two and really have to start giving the others a chance.

I have enough trouble sometimes keeping up with all the damn reboots and feminized characters...my head is spinning!!!

So sooo many others

That's because its a second print and/or reprint. It never was worth that elevated price based on website pumpers saying hey look everyone Negan's face is on the cover not just his silhouette on the 1st print. Shrugs maybe one day collectors will learn the difference between 1st and second, third etc reprints. 2c

It was attractive as a lower print run alternate cover. People collect subsequent printings based on minute differences like the logo colour / newsstand over direct, etc. As a WD collector it's worth having. As an "investment" it's a bad idea.

I think in general its just a matter of knowing your market trends and selling at the right time so you're not left holding the bag. And if you're holding the bag, make sure you've sold more than enough other bags to cover the losses on the bags you're still holding. Or invest so little in the bag that it barely matters and you can at least get your money back if necessary.

And if its not working out for a person, they should stop doing it.

So sooo many others

It was attractive as a lower print run alternate cover. People collect subsequent printings based on minute differences like the logo colour / newsstand over direct, etc. As a WD collector it's worth having. As an "investment" it's a bad idea.

I agree, in an era where people can 'find' nearly everything, the search for more esoteric or completionist type items has an expanding space in collecting. Its not for everyone, but it is for some people.

People collect subsequent printings based on minute differences like the logo colour / newsstand over direct, etc. As a WD collector it's worth having. As an "investment" it's a bad idea.

I did this for Monstress #1. Not quite 9.8s but at least VF/NM copies of all printings as well as the Image Firsts version. I think it's pretty cool to have all versions and it was nice that the 2nd printing featured different cover art. Didn't spend a lot, though. Probably do the same for Kill Or Be Killed. :)

Or invest so little in the bag that it barely matters and you can at least get your money back if necessary.

This is pretty much my preference difference being I don't invest, I just spend. :D

I think in general its just a matter of knowing your market trends and selling at the right time so you're not left holding the bag. And if you're holding the bag, make sure you've sold more than enough other bags to cover the losses on the bags you're still holding. Or invest so little in the bag that it barely matters and you can at least get your money back if necessary.

This is what I've been doing for the past few years only applied to football cards (Yes I'm a die hard Seahawk Fan). But collecting autographed Russell Wilson rookie cards has started to become boring as I have most of what I want. Over the past few years I've invested and sold smart enough to wear I currently have about 2 grand in Autographed Russell Wilson Rookie Cards that haven't cost me a dime. Now trying to apply the same logic back into comics has proven somewhat more difficult than in sports cards. The markets I think are a lot more stable in sports cards and much more predictable vs comics which seems to have a ton of volatility one minute your 9.8 is worth $600 two weeks later its dropped a few hundred bucks and you're stuck. It's made me very reluctant to really want to pull the trigger on any big dollar items and one of the reasons I found my self on this board hoping to get an inside edge on trends or at the very least a better understanding of them. With that being said it almost at this point in time seems easier to just continue buying and selling cards and taking said profits into the comic arena where if I fail at least in the end I lost nothing.

Agreed. I find a lot of the hot books in back issue bins for cover or less, some times multiple copies. It is little risk for me to flip stuff that others are willing to pay more for. I do not hold on to stuff very long and do not worry if I am "leaving money on the table" if I sell and it goes up. A profit is a profit.

This is what I've been doing for the past few years only applied to football cards (Yes I'm a die hard Seahawk Fan). But collecting autographed Russell Wilson rookie cards has started to become boring as I have most of what I want. Over the past few years I've invested and sold smart enough to wear I currently have about 2 grand in Autographed Russell Wilson Rookie Cards that haven't cost me a dime. Now trying to apply the same logic back into comics has proven somewhat more difficult than in sports cards. The markets I think are a lot more stable in sports cards and much more predictable vs comics which seems to have a ton of volatility one minute your 9.8 is worth $600 two weeks later its dropped a few hundred bucks and you're stuck. It's made me very reluctant to really want to pull the trigger on any big dollar items and one of the reasons I found my self on this board hoping to get an inside edge on trends or at the very least a better understanding of them. With that being said it almost at this point in time seems easier to just continue buying and selling cards and taking said profits into the comic arena where if I fail at least in the end I lost nothing.

With sports cards, there is a connection between value and the real physical world. Players actually exist, and actually play sports. You can hype up players to a certain extent, but ultimately, it's anchored in reality.

With comics, you can see some connections between reality and hype, be it TV shows, Movies, increasing readership, etc. But, there also starts to become a push to hype on properties of the book itself, independent of what its about. Artist, Writer, 2nd Printing, Exclusive variant, etc.

If a sports card that was worthless suddenly spiked in value, it would be because he got moved to starting position, traded to a new team, etc. A comic can get spiked just because a thread or news site can convince some people that it matters, the artist is the next Leonardo Devinici, or that how hard it is to find means its important, etc

With sports cards, there is a connection between value and the real physical world. Players actually exist, and actually play sports. You can hype up players to a certain extent, but ultimately, it's anchored in reality.

With comics, you can see some connections between reality and hype, be it TV shows, Movies, increasing readership, etc. But, there also starts to become a push to hype on properties of the book itself, independent of what its about. Artist, Writer, 2nd Printing, Exclusive variant, etc.

If a sports card that was worthless suddenly spiked in value, it would be because he got moved to starting position, traded to a new team, etc. A comic can get spiked just because a thread or news site can convince some people that it matters, the artist is the next Leonardo Devinici, or that how hard it is to find means its important, etc

Good points by you with there is a connection between value and the real physical world.

Comic book collectors always talk about how valuable Walking Dead #1 is,but I can at least think of two rookie sports cards that came out about the same time that are just as big or maybe bigger.

LeBron James rookie card.

Tom Brady rookie card.

I think sportcards and comics are both equally great and I am glad they both survived the glut of the early 1990s.

So if a player is good, their cards should be worth more and a player who has never been in the majors should be worth less? Definitely not the case.

Because a person, anchored in reality, has given their OPINION. I see....

Because a person, anchored in reality, has given their OPINION. I see....

Regardless of CBT's staunch anti-CBSI stance, I don't think you can ignore that being featured on the CBSI website does have quite a significant effect on a comic's availability and ebay pricing. Alas, there's no way to tell if the increase in demand and price is due to collectors, investors or speculators. If majority of the folks driving up prices are just investors/speculators and there's no genuine market demand to sustain high prices, then what you have is just a house of cards.