• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicpalooza-Houston 2016 OA Collector Report

40 posts in this topic

Howdy,

Weird Paper and I were set up at Comicpalooza 2016- Houston this past weekend:

IMG_8121_zpsm3tiu6dn.jpg

I'll stay on-point and just talk about OA here- as I suspect Weird Paper will have a more in-depth recap in one of the Comic threads. And he has to explain this:

IMG_8136_zpsucin1gf4.jpg

Like Texas, Comic-cons in the Lone Star State can be pretty dry and desolate (though not this year) when it comes to OA. Still, like bloodhounds, most diehards can and will root out any art or kindred spirits to be had.

Which is how this photo came about:

L to R: (linked to our CAF) MYNAMEISLEGION , Aaron N. , PR Churchill , Roger K.

IMG_8131_zpsrpp0snjr.jpg

Aaron wandered over to our booth on Fri and introduced himself. I'd known of Aaron from the comicart-l list over the years, but never put a name to a face, and he'd never seen my CAF or Roger's (Weird Paper). We had a few pages of art for sale, and we chatted over that and exchanged numbers as he was at the con with his wife to help her. We had an extra badge, so I sent PR Churchill an email, whom I've never met, and only exchanged a couple of emails with over the years, but was very aware of, as he has more art on my grail list than any single individual on CAF, which speaks to his impeccable taste. PR Churchill called me, and we arranged to meet at breakfast in the Hilton adjoining the Con on Sunday. He brought a portfolio of art with some specific pages he wanted to show me, which was awesome, and he looked thru the few things we brought and picked up a couple of things himself. Sunday at the show was light traffic, so we hung out at our booth for awhile, and Aaron wandered over, and he'd never met PR Churchill either, so we all got to meet someone knew, and add their gallery to our CAF watch lists.

Texas is a big state, and people are pretty spread-out, but there are a lot of CAF gallery owners here and there who seldom get a chance to meet without going to an out-of state convention. PR Churchill wants to change that, so we started talking about putting together a South Texas OA Meet-up. Mr. Bedrock (Bedrock City, Houston) was gracious enough to offer up one of his comic stores as a location if we can nail down a good weekend to do it in the fall. We might try to rotate between SA, Austin and Houston if we can get it off the ground. Drop one of us a line if you are interested.

Like I said, Texas Cons aren't known for OA, but I did not go home empty handed. didn't get these at the show, but Comicpalooza gets the assist:

IMG_8141_zpsl1ywpwv2.jpg

IMG_8139_zpsgjhwnqtm.jpg

I'm just going to say what everyone else is thinking.

That's A LOT of beans.

Fellow posters,

Greetings. I have to echo what Sean wrote in his originating message. For the fourth largest city in the USA, we have a very small community of original art collectors when compared to cities less populous than Houston. So, for all of the Texas/Louisiana collectors, we are looking at the second or third weekend in October for a get together similar to what the New York area, Chicago area, Los Angeles and San Diego area, and San Francisco area collectors do. Bring your art to show/sell/trade. For those Dallas collectors, come on down. For those Louisiana collectors, come on over. After this one, we will look to rotate over to the San Antonio/Austin area. More to follow on the October call.......

Ciao!

PRC

I am good for either weekend at the shop. The Westheimer location has plenty of space, we have a pizza joint next door. Noon to four on a Saturday would work. So y'all pick a date and we will accommodate!

Great meeting you guys! That Colletta Superman strip is shockingly good, congrats on that. I actually did achieve an OA purchase: Swamp Thing prelim, direct from the master. CAF posting to follow shortly. Mr. Wrightson lives in Austin so Houston was not difficult to attend. It was a pleasure meeting him and Liz for the first time. Bernie looked upbeat and well recovered from his recent chemo.

Great meeting you guys! That Colletta Superman strip is shockingly good, congrats on that. I actually did achieve an OA purchase: Swamp Thing prelim, direct from the master. CAF posting to follow shortly. Mr. Wrightson lives in Austin so Houston was not difficult to attend. It was a pleasure meeting him and Liz for the first time. Bernie looked upbeat and well recovered from his recent chemo.

I made a point of dropping by his table on Sunday to tell him I hoped his health was on the mend and I hoped he'd enjoyed his time at the con- he did seem in pretty good spirits.

I also spoke to Val Mayerik, who also lives in Austin. I'd never spoken to him before, and he's clearly a sharp and intelligent guy. He's only recently moved to Texas, and seemed pretty happy about it.

Great meeting both you guys! I had not seen PR's online collection. As for yours, Aaron, I was well acquainted with your CAF, but as is often the case, didn't realize you were that gallery until after the fact. Your Elias pch "lightbulb" cover is one of my favorite pieces on all of CAF. I guess it's fortunate I didn't realize it was yours at the time or I would have been bugging you to sell it to me.

Like Sean, I did pick up a few pieces of art from consigners that I'm going to buy for myself -- Krenkel, Rick Geary, Buscema, Perez. Only sold 3 pieces of art at the show -- a nice Hayes Poison Elves splash, a Broderick Iron Fist action page and a Rogers Silver Surfer page.

Came home to a mountain of work, so a detailed con report will have to wait. Overall, the show was a success, and I always like Houston shows because people actually buy comics at them. Looking forward to the art get-together this Fall.

While that restaurant picture might be of a local Cracker Barrel, I do miss that kind of down home cooking found only in Texas. My mom still lives on the north side of town in the 1960 area. If I'm ever in the area at the right time, I'd sure like to meet up with you guys!

Would love to see/participate in a Houston OA meet up! I had a great chat with Val Mayerik and Andy Belanger at Comicpalooza, and got two awesome sketches from Val and Mike Zeck. But was definitely disappointed in the lack of OA pages.

Austin/Dallas/Houston/San Antonio Area Collectors (including ArkLaTex too),

Greetings, all. I have delayed pushing a date as many are busy in the convention season. Several are now gearing up for Chicago as it is just around the corner. With the New York Comic Con in October, I wanted to ensure that we avoided this large show for an OCA gathering. How is everyone with 29 October? October is a five weekend month, and this is the last Saturday of the month. Plan is to still have the gathering at Bedrock City's main location on Westheimer in Houston. Pencil in that date.

Ciao,

PRC