• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for a little advice on selling options.

21 posts in this topic

After the last year or so I have finally found out I really can't afford this hobby anymore.

It always seems that every time a piece that I want pops up for auction, it goes for waaay more then I could even think of spending on it ie $6k-10k.

Now I am the kind of person where if I leave a hobby, I like to completely get out of it and remove all pieces or parts so I am really starting to think about selling off my small collection.

I would like to know peoples opinions of the best way to go about that. I know I can use CAF and just put everything on sale there, I could use a auction, I just don't know if I will get what I want from that.

The other concern is shipping of the art. I am one of those people who are very anal about making sure something I sell gets to the person in the same condition they bought it in. I have received art between two hard, cardbordish slabs, between just cardboard as well as something that almost looked like a custom box.

Any kinda of input will be very helpful!

For selling, I'd advise CAF with set prices (please inquire/TBD won't get a good response).

As for your shipping question, 2 pieces of Masonite is your best bet for high dollar art. A lot of people get bitten by shipping expenses after they sell art due to not realizing what their cost will be. You don't want underestimating your shipping materials/shipping/insurance cost to take a $50-100 extra chunk out of your profit.

Best of luck with the sale.

If you are in the North East both Comiclink and Heritage have locations in Nj where you can drop the art and let them do the shipping when it sells.

Do you know where this spot is in NJ? I thought they only were at certain Con's or you had to mail it in to their site in Maine.

Over under 5 on the number of "what you selling?" messages OP got?

I almost sent one! Instead I'll post "Hey, give us the link to your CAF - might be able to sell some in this very thread!"

I almost sent one! Instead I'll post "Hey, give us the link to your CAF - might be able to sell some in this very thread!"

well, if your gonna twist my arm like that..

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=86452

and it was 5 on the nose.

clink has an office in Hoboken where you can deliver the artwork and the heritage north east agent for comic art is Joe Manerino and he will also take deliveries and is also in NJ.

I have used both.A call to either company can give you the details.

well, if your gonna twist my arm like that..

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=86452

and it was 5 on the nose.

The house, sir, always sets a PERFECT line....

^ I agree. Your easy sale that you're going to make money off of is that Bruce Timm if you already haven't already sold it to a Boardie.

I don't know how often you sell, but the reality is that you're going to make money on some pieces and lose money on others. If you look at the final sale of whole lot you'll probably end up with a break-even result.

Whether you choose eBay or another auction house, you're going to have to give up 10%-15% right off the top which can rattle your expectations. Besides, a place Heritage Auctions won't accept any lots less than $5,000, or so one of their reps told me.

In the end, if you're looking to clear out your entire collection, you have to choose between a fast nickel or a slow dime. Dump it all at once and you'll lose money; take your time with it, you get more or less what you ask for but risk a stale inventory in which prospective buyers lose interest.

I'd auction off one piece on eBay, low starting bid, no reserve, just for price discovery. This should help you determine how you want to sell and what you're likely to get back. Then maybe auction off 2-3 entirely different pieces (spread out the artists) per week until they're all gone.

Hope this helps.

John

clink has an office in Hoboken where you can deliver the artwork and the heritage north east agent for comic art is Joe Manerino and he will also take deliveries and is also in NJ.

I have used both.A call to either company can give you the details.

Thank you very much good sir! (thumbs u

Sometimes consigning to an art dealer is smart.

They only make money when you make money, so are well versed and educated to know how to price your art, and have a network and connections to bring your art in front of the right people.

They take a % commission, which is earned. The more they sell the art for, the more they make, so it's in their best interests to sell the piece for the maximum value. Also, they only make money if it sells, so it's silly for them to overprice it as dead inventory that doesn't move for which they waste their time and get a bad reputation.

They provide great value beyond just introducing a buyer and seller by also handling the payment processing and fulfillment, so the danger of buyer fraud is eliminated (where as with eBay you're on your own)

You should inquire with some of the art dealers (and some are on these message boards who might PM you or pipe in on this thread)

Don't get fixated on commissions and the %'s, as it's "the cost of doing business" and can be well earned and then some when handled by the right managing entity to get you the best sales prices, where an alternate sales source may have failed at a lower % to delivery you the right net profits.

Besides, a place like Heritage Auctions won't accept any lots less than $5,000, or so one of their reps told me.

I was told the same, once upon a time. This collection will go for more than 5 grand, in my opinion. Is there a reason he shouldn't approach Heritage?